Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why Brighton and Premier League clubs are likely to favour PPV over fans returning

RichMills

Sep 7, 2020
The Premier League's £14.95 pay-per-view experiment averaged 39,000 viewers per game over the first two rounds of matches, new figures have revealed.

Going by the figures from the nine matches, if you take the £14.95 fee and multiply it by the average of 39,000 viewers for the PPV games, you get £583,050.

Depending on how much of that financial pie goes to Sky Sports, BT Sport, or the Premier League, that is still likely to be a bigger windfall than what would happen if fans were allowed to return to stadiums.

Three of the matches got fewer than 10,000 viewers, so if you take 10,000 and multiply it by £14.95, you get £149,000.

According to the Premier League, the average ticket price for a Premier League ticket was £32 for the 2019/20 season, before Covid hit.

If you take the 2,500 fans who went to the Amex in August and multiply it by £32, you get £80,000.

Even if you increased this to 5,000 fans, as the French government permitted in September, before lowering it to 1,000 due to rising Covid cases, that would bring in £160,000.

If fans are allowed to return to Premier League stadiums, and it is, at present, a big if, it is unlikely that supporters will be allowed to fill 10% of a stadium as Covid cases continue to rise.

So why would clubs ditch it unless the amount of people allowed into stadiums goes well above that percentage?

If you want to read the full story, click here.
http://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-premier-league-rivals-likely-4647432

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
The PPV matches might have averaged 39,000 viewers, but the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool will have pulled in at least 10x more viewers than, say, Fulham or Albion.

Not sure why you've used average Premier League ticket prices to calculate Albion's potential matchday revenue. We know how much tickets cost. Also, you haven't factored in spending in bars, shop etc.

And the TV companies will be taking a huge percentage (after VAT).

But, yes, I'm sure some clubs love the idea of PPV...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Premier League's £14.95 pay-per-view experiment averaged 39,000 viewers per game over the first two rounds of matches, new figures have revealed.

Going by the figures from the nine matches, if you take the £14.95 fee and multiply it by the average of 39,000 viewers for the PPV games, you get £583,050.

Depending on how much of that financial pie goes to Sky Sports, BT Sport, or the Premier League, that is still likely to be a bigger windfall than what would happen if fans were allowed to return to stadiums.

Three of the matches got fewer than 10,000 viewers, so if you take 10,000 and multiply it by £14.95, you get £149,000.

According to the Premier League, the average ticket price for a Premier League ticket was £32 for the 2019/20 season, before Covid hit.

If you take the 2,500 fans who went to the Amex in August and multiply it by £32, you get £80,000.

Even if you increased this to 5,000 fans, as the French government permitted in September, before lowering it to 1,000 due to rising Covid cases, that would bring in £160,000.

If fans are allowed to return to Premier League stadiums, and it is, at present, a big if, it is unlikely that supporters will be allowed to fill 10% of a stadium as Covid cases continue to rise.

So why would clubs ditch it unless the amount of people allowed into stadiums goes well above that percentage?

If you want to read the full story, click here.
http://www.sussexlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brighton-premier-league-rivals-likely-4647432

They could of course do both!!!

9k in the ground, which, based on the test event is perfectly feasible, 9k x £32 = £288k. Pretty certain 39k didn't watch Albion v Albion. You also have to take into account the spend in the concessions, pies and pints.

Obviously, the calculations are all being done on the back of a fag packet as it doesn't take into account the broadcasters cut or VAT on ticket prices etc etc. That said, I think you'll find the clubs would still prefer fans in the stand.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
While clubs obviously want fans back, I think that the new 3 tier system makes that harder to achieve.

We can assume that the Government would not want fans back in any ground that is in tier 3, so then it comes down to waht is the Government view on tiers 2 and 1.
Also would there be more restrictions, so that only home fans who live locally be allowed.
As an example would fans who live in London (tier2) be allowed to attend home games at the Amex.

This to me is probably more of an issue why the clubs will look to retian PPV (with maybe a price reduction) as the current Government approach combined with increasing numbers makes it far more difficult to get fans back.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The PPV matches might have averaged 39,000 viewers, but the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool will have pulled in at least 10x more viewers than, say, Fulham or Albion.

Not sure why you've used average Premier League ticket prices to calculate Albion's potential matchday revenue. We know how much tickets cost. Also, you haven't factored in spending in bars, shop etc.

And the TV companies will be taking a huge percentage (after VAT).

But, yes, I'm sure some clubs love the idea of PPV...

Isn't a benefit to the participating clubs, in each round of PPV, that the revenue after costs is spread evenly between those teams, not proportionately according to their individual viewing figures?

Despite that, Paul Barber suggested the club loses the benefit of £1m+ income for each home game with no fans. He also set expectations that Albion would only budget for an expectation of PPV income in the region of £1.2m in all.

Can't imagine PPV is the perfect antidote to empty stadia.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Basically, there are too many unknowns to make a comparison, but I expect the clubs would make far more with fans present than they will via PPV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
9000 fans paying an average of 32 quid comes to a total of 288000 pounds. That’s before profits from catering etc. That compares very favourably with the 50 % of 583050 minus a sum to the broadcasters. I’m not sure how the conclusion can be ‘it is still likely to be a bigger windfall than if fans return to stadiums’

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
PPV is totally unfair to clubs other than the "big" ones, we will rarely be on TV compared to the top clubs so our supporters, if they want to see the game live, then we might be on twice in the next 10 games, Man Utd will likely be on TV 7 times in the next 10 so a Brighton fans will have fork out £119.60 compared to £44.85.

Do they really think 39k average will remain, I would say that will reduce considerably as more fans go back to the radio and streams

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
While clubs obviously want fans back, I think that the new 3 tier system makes that harder to achieve.

We can assume that the Government would not want fans back in any ground that is in tier 3, so then it comes down to waht is the Government view on tiers 2 and 1.
Also would there be more restrictions, so that only home fans who live locally be allowed.
As an example would fans who live in London (tier2) be allowed to attend home games at the Amex.

This to me is probably more of an issue why the clubs will look to retian PPV (with maybe a price reduction) as the current Government approach combined with increasing numbers makes it far more difficult to get fans back.

I think the tier system makes return of fans very unlikely because it would vary across the country and this would be unfair on terms in areas where home games had no fans as compared with those that had fans.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
About 9,000 paid for the Albion's match against West Brom on Monday.

Strip out VAT and the revenue was £112,000.

Deduct fee to the broadcaster of (say) £20k and then we are down to £92k. As yet no decision has been made as to how that money should be split between the two clubs, or whether it goes into a general pool.

Best watched match was Arsenal v Leicester at 140,000, that made a net £1.7 million, so the experiment hasn't been a total disaster, and the big clubs will be thinking about how much they could make if they take all of their matches in house and stream them.

To put it into context, once a club has been picked ten times by BT/Sky, every subsequent appearance is worth £1m in facility fees.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
An American associate informs me Peacock TV (Previously NBC gold) is offering a free 7 day trial which includes the spurs game, in case any of you were travelling albeit briefly to the states on Sunday.

It’s $4.99 a month after that can be broken at anytime for the frequent flyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
BHA will make more money from one fan in the stadium than one at home on PPV. Having 5K fans at the Amex doesn’t stop the other 25K who normally attend from watching on PPV. Barber has consistently supported the campaign to get fans back into the grounds, as has Delia Smith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here