Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] An interesting point...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Even with the relatively small number of posts so far it is clear that people are believing the speculation. From what I’ve read (which might be untrue) his hourly wage was well over £4.24 ph, he tried to call his supervisors but couldn’t get through, and if he had challenged Abedi the bomb would have been detonated there and then. His employer claims that he had received proper training.

More at fault appear to be the police who were stood in a group rather than dispersed to the high risk points.

It appears that there are lots of lessons to be learnt with the key one being there is no place for fundamentalist terrorists in this world.
Amen to that!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Even with the relatively small number of posts so far it is clear that people are believing the speculation. From what I’ve read (which might be untrue) his hourly wage was well over £4.24 ph, he tried to call his supervisors but couldn’t get through, and if he had challenged Abedi the bomb would have been detonated there and then. His employer claims that he had received proper training.

More at fault appear to be the police who were stood in a group rather than dispersed to the high risk points.

It appears that there are lots of lessons to be learnt with the key one being there is no place for fundamentalist terrorists in this world.

It will be interesting to know what the security training instructions are for this type of event. I imagine for this particular chap it would be to merely raise the alarm.....then a protocol will swing into action. Does anyone work in this line of business know what will happen?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Personally I think we should target individuals / races etc if the stats back up that it is prudent to do so.

Of course you are aware that white, right-wing fundamentalists are the main cause of domestic terrorism in the Western world atm? - The stats are available to back it up, should you be unsure - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/22/white-supremacists-rightwing-domestic-terror-2020

As such, you would have no issue with being treated with higher suspicion than other races, I assume? Doesn't mean I think you're a terrorist of course, but if you fit the description it's only sensible we see you as a potential danger to society. By your own logic, of course.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

so what sort of terrorists are ok?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
A no win situation. poor sod has to live with the fact his gut instinct was right. He's only a kid too . . . bugger all training as well I'd wager.

anyone with a big back pack should be stopped and check, especially if there's any whiff of a bottle top.

what flavour/shade you are is utterly irrelevant.

I really feel sorry for the young lad. The only person to blame is the @rsehole who detonated the bomb. I understand there needs to be an enquiry to see if things could have been done differently, but it should not be a finger pointing exersise.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Of course you are aware that white, right-wing fundamentalists are the main cause of domestic terrorism in the Western world atm? - The stats are available to back it up, should you be unsure - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/22/white-supremacists-rightwing-domestic-terror-2020

As such, you would have no issue with being treated with higher suspicion than other races, I assume? Doesn't mean I think you're a terrorist of course, but if you fit the description it's only sensible we see you as a potential danger to society. By your own logic, of course.

Slightly off topic but flew El Al to Tel Aviv in 1980 when the Israeli's profiled the hell out of everyone irrespective of age, colour etc. This included various questions before boarding, full pat downs at Heathrow and quite a few strip searches of (random) passengers. Then at Ben Gurion airport there were all sets of strange/random questions by different security personnel (men and women) in uniform and or civvies. It was extremely weird and made you feel uneasy. But, I guess, that was the point.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Take airlines , muslim males taking flights should certainly be subjected to more checks and suspicion.

Muslims aren't easily identifiable just as Christians and Buddhists aren't. Just because they're brown doesn't mean they're Muslim or a terrorist.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Have to feel for the lad. Survivors guilt on that scale at 18 years old? Can't even begin to imagine.

yep, and who knows what has gone before, had he or someone else stopped or confronted an innocent person previously and been accused of being racist.
really hard call for anyone never mind a young person on minimum wage, who was more than likely whisked through a quick course on safety etc, just to get the relevant certificates etc. (I know it goes on with health and safety on site)

My brother is old bill in Manchester and was there later that night sifting through the carnage, helping with the investigation and identifications.
Looking for people to blame is hard, because people want to pin anger on them, but there is only one or two people you can really blame and one of them was in several pieces at the point of detonation. the other is a c@@t and deserves to die a slow and painful death.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Poor bastid. Damned if he did, double-damned if he didn't. Worked at Showsec events for £4.24 per hour, made to make a judgement call that would get him huge grief either way. Fault lies fairly and squarely with the security services for failing to properly monitor the bomber. But, hey, let's hang the little guy out to dry. Disgraceful

Who has hung him out to dry? He seems to have nothing but sympathy from everyone on here and certainly nothing in the BBC's article to say that he was at fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here