Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why sit back and defend a one nil lead?

judorichard

Why does Potter seem to always want to sit back and defend a 1 - 0 lead? This seems to be a very English thing to do. You don't see foreign managers doing it. Whenever I see this happen it drives me nuts. Brighton dominated the first half ( they should really have gone in with a two nil lead rather than just the one at half time). They played really well. Lallana was excellent. They dominated possession, territory and created a number of good chances.

In the second half they seemed to totally change tactics and just sit back and defend. They let WBA have all the possession and territory , which led to WBA creating a lot of opportunities, taking nine or ten shots on goal and eventually scoring.

Even a poor team like WBS will score if let them dominate for 45 minutes. If Brighton had continued the tactics of the first half they would have kept dominating possession and pushing WBA back. I think it's likely they would have scored a second. It's very unlikely WBA would have created the chances they did and scored. I think the stats were 0 shots in the first half for WBA and 9 or 10 in the second half. If you give a team 9 or 10 shots on goal, even a poor team will probably score at least one. It's just a question of probability.

It's clear to me that Potter intentionally changed tactics and decided to sit back and concede possession to WBA or why else would he have taken Adam Lallana off? He took off his creative midfielder (and for my money the Man of the Match) and put on Gross, a defensive midfielder. He did that with half an hour to go. Clearly he thought it was a "Good Idea" to sit back and defend. You would never see Klopp or Guardiola do this.

If he keeps using these tactics Brighton will go down this season.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
He doesn't "always" want to defend a 1 nil lead at all.

Bye.

This.

Dumbass concept. Potter hardly ever “settles” for a 1-0 lead. In fact I can’t even remember us getting a 1-0 win.

And you realise there’s 2 teams right? How did Chelsea do against West Brom? Sometimes the other team go for it and play well and get a deserved equaliser. That’s football.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Palace?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We can’t defend any lead currently. Smashed Newcastle, should have smashed abysmal Palace, genuinely unlucky against ManU and genuinely lucky to get a point v the Baggies based on the respective second half performances. Potter defend a one-nil lead??? Calling Palacefinder General.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Why does Potter seem to always want to sit back and defend a 1 - 0 lead? This seems to be a very English thing to do. You don't see foreign managers doing it. Whenever I see this happen it drives me nuts. Brighton dominated the first half ( they should really have gone in with a two nil lead rather than just the one at half time). They played really well. Lallana was excellent. They dominated possession, territory and created a number of good chances.

In the second half they seemed to totally change tactics and just sit back and defend. They let WBA have all the possession and territory , which led to WBA creating a lot of opportunities, taking nine or ten shots on goal and eventually scoring.

Even a poor team like WBS will score if let them dominate for 45 minutes. If Brighton had continued the tactics of the first half they would have kept dominating possession and pushing WBA back. I think it's likely they would have scored a second. It's very unlikely WBA would have created the chances they did and scored. I think the stats were 0 shots in the first half for WBA and 9 or 10 in the second half. If you give a team 9 or 10 shots on goal, even a poor team will probably score at least one. It's just a question of probability.

It's clear to me that Potter intentionally changed tactics and decided to sit back and concede possession to WBA or why else would he have taken Adam Lallana off? He took off his creative midfielder (and for my money the Man of the Match) and put on Gross, a defensive midfielder. He did that with half an hour to go. Clearly he thought it was a "Good Idea" to sit back and defend. You would never see Klopp or Guardiola do this.

So, you’ve never heard of Jose Mourinho, no?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As a Palace fan I imagine you can answer that question yourself, you do it all the time

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Let yourself down there. Off you f*ck.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Chris Hughton used to use this tactic quite a lot, and to be fair more often than not it worked for him, although it was quite tense and uncomfortable to watch.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Problem was we didnt defend lead well. Still dont know with 15mins to go why Burn was near half way line that left wide player free to cross for goal. Didnt help that Webster was left one on one with Grant

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009
Regardless of the OP's affiliation, I think he has a point. From the moment we took the lead we surrendered the initiative. Of course that is partly due to WBA upping their game, but it did look like a deliberate tactic by us. Whether that came from the manager or from the players' nervousness, I'm not sure.
Lallana clearly went off at 60 mins as a pre-planned thing, but without him we seemed to lack drive and leadership.
It looked like the pressure to get a win affected us a lot.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Lallana was clearly dead on his feet, he was breathing heavily when subbed.

Like a few have already stated, Lallana was our best player, and I was surprised to see him come off.
I alluded to GP's lack of the usual back-patting "well done son" guff that every Manager tends towards, on another thread.

I'm prepared to admit beforehand that I may have read it wrong, but I thought it was a bit of 'politicing' by GP, just to show who's in charge.

Won't do the lad any harm, it's Albion doing him the favour here, his CL medal is yesterday's news.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here