Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Hash Browns - The Debate

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Do you put Hash into your Hash Browns?

If so what type?

Moroccan, Lebanese, Afghani, Nepalese???

Over to you.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Depends if you inhale or not.

Do you put browns in them ?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Do you put Hash into your Hash Browns?

If so what type?

Moroccan, Lebanese, Afghani, Nepalese???

Over to you.

I assume that you’re trendily disguising a dodgy cooking thread with a perfectly legitimate Class B drug preparation topic to avoid a ban.

Oh well - they can ban me instead for uncovering your ploy!

So the question your are really trying to ask is, how do you cook your hash browns?

Shallow Fried, Deep Fried, Grilled or Oven cooked???

I’m going to envelope my kitchen and house in oil by deep fat frying and am not partial to heating up the old oven of a morning, the grill does not seem to penetrate the damn things properly so I have a hybrid method.

I shallow fry them in lots of oil tipping the pan on it’s side to semi-submerge them. I then pop them in the bottom of the grill pan to keep warm as other foodage above them such as tomatoes and sausages cooks off.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I rarely lose my rag. But I think the sharpest word I had with my ex was when a hash brown was taken from my plate. I LOVE hash browns. Preferably slightly over cooked and crisp with a little bit of Tabasco sauce.

I feel quite dirty saying that Wetherspoons do them rather well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Don’t get me wrong now, I love a hash brown. Even been known to eat a McDonalds one.....

But please don’t include one in your ideal breakfast line up. They’re are other things that come in before.... ie mushrooms, black pudding etc

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
In the hierarchy of cooked potatos, hash browns are way down.

Don't get me wrong, they're ok but not as good as chips, roasties, new potatos or scollops. They are, however, better than boiled, croquettes, mash (including all the poncy variants like duchess)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Oven baked hash browns are awful, they go soggy and just don't work. Fried or grilled is far better.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Don't get me wrong, they're ok but not as good as chips, roasties, new potatos or scollops. They are, however, better than boiled, croquettes, mash (including all the poncy variants like duchess)

I'm a fair and reasonable person, but i'll NEVER hear a bad word said about a Croquette. One of the top-tier potato products in my mind.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I'm a fair and reasonable person, but i'll NEVER hear a bad word said about a Croquette. One of the top-tier potato products in my mind.

giphy.gif

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I love potatos, in pretty much all forms. I'd never consider wasting good hash on them though.

fried mash is best for breakfast IMO

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I need to know you're opinion on dauphinoise before I decide whether your post is worthy of a :thumbsup:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
There's cauliflower hash browns which are delicious

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My favourite recipe for hash browns is 1). remove all packaging, 2). place in food recycling bin, and 3). look for something (practically anything!) else to eat.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
You would need to contact either McDonald’s or McCains for what they put in em.

Disappointing thread though, I was looking forward to seeing ta few home made recipes [emoji23]

I gave making them a go a few times during lockdown and I have to say they really aren't worth the effort.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here