Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Spaghetti Bolognese - The Debate

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have also seen chefs put chocolate in spagbol and chilli.

I quite often put a couple of squares of dark chocolate in a chilli, adds a really nice depth of flavour.

Did anyone seriously not know about putting Worcester Sauce in a ragu (or a shepherd’s pie for that matter) ?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Red wine in gravy is a must. But someone tell my wife not to use my £25 bottle of Faustino Gran Reserva again.

The first time my Husband to be cooked a meal for me, it was Spag Bol, and very nice it was too, however he also used a bottle of my then very rare Rioja Faustino V Gran Reserva. Bearing in mind this was 1993 and good Spanish wine was almost impossible to get hold of, and cost a relative fortune, I was not best pleased. Given that I has only met him a few days before it nearly put the kibosh on the whole budding relationship- however it was, and still remains, the best tasting spag bol I ever had, so I forgave him

Yoda

English & European
What is people's obsession with garlic going into Italian dishes in both this country and in America?

It's ITALIAN cuisine not FRENCH, Italian cooking uses very little garlic on the whole.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
On a related note, anyone else realised that its almost impossible to buy Lasagne anywhere. I asked in Sainsburys after failing to finds any in any of my usual shops and apparently there is a nationwide production issue!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What is people's obsession with garlic going into Italian dishes in both this country and in America?

It's ITALIAN cuisine not FRENCH, Italian cooking uses very little garlic on the whole.

And Italian cooks, as a rule, certainly have a thing about not using garlic and onion together.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I quite often put a couple of squares of dark chocolate in a chilli, adds a really nice depth of flavour.

Did anyone seriously not know about putting Worcester Sauce in a ragu (or a shepherd’s pie for that matter) ?

I'm a Worcester sauce fan, will generally put something vinegar based in a stew though I'm more often red or white wine vinegar, just a teaspoon.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Making my first home made baked beans tomorrow, the haricots are now soaking. Looking forward to making this “classic”

Home made baked beans are wonderful because you don't have to put up with all the sugar (or sweetener) they put in the commercial stuff. BUT, please plan carefully where you're going to be a couple of hours later because homemade baked beans have a characteristic that the commercial stuff is famous for, but on a completely different scale. I'd suggest you go somewhere outdoors that's not too quiet.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Home made baked beans are wonderful because you don't have to put up with all the sugar (or sweetener) they put in the commercial stuff. BUT, please plan carefully where you're going to be a couple of hours later because homemade baked beans have a characteristic that the commercial stuff is famous for, but on a completely different scale. I'd suggest you go somewhere outdoors that's not too quiet.

Dec 29, 2011
This thread is great because I eat bolgnese everyday (usually with rice) and I'm getting plenty of tips to improve my recipe - not sure I'm brave enough to try banana though.

I'd love another thread of other common meals, I like scrambled eggs, anyone have secret tips for that?

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
This thread is great because I eat bolgnese everyday (usually with rice) and I'm getting plenty of tips to improve my recipe - not sure I'm brave enough to try banana though.

I'd love another thread of other common meals, I like scrambled eggs, anyone have secret tips for that?
o

I’m thinking banana would go well with scrambled eggs :lol::lol:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
The wife has started adding a vegetable stock to the spaghetti when cooking that.

I really like it. And a good handful of grated cheese over the top.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The wife has started adding a vegetable stock to the spaghetti when cooking that.

I really like it. And a good handful of grated cheese over the top.

I occasionally do this. If not home made, marigold Bouillon is the best veg stock I have found

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here