Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Spaghetti Bolognese - The Debate

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
My missus is Italian, she lived in Bologna for 15 years. They do not EVER have spaghetti with a ragu there, spaghetti is from the south, the good people of Bologna eat their ragu with tagliatelli.
But yeah, I’d go with Worcester sauce and milk in a mix of beef & pork mince.

I shall try this. Although, as mentioned, Henderson's is far superior to Worcester sauce. So I shall be using that.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
What about the pancetta and chicken livers?
Pork mince has no place. Half beef half veal very acceptable though.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
definitely if one open, wouldnt open one just for the bolognese.

There’s always one open in Questions Lodge

Or in most Italian homes........so the answer is yes if you are either Italian or a border line alcoholic.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Bologna is touted as heart of Italian food according to my Italian (Calabrian) buddy, and a few of us went there with him once. The food was just superb

Been there many times as she still owns a flat in the City. The food from the region is definitely some of the best in Italy, that’s for sure. Lovely place to visit for a short break, Rick Stein did one of his weekend away shows there, worth a watch if it’s still on iPlayer.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
Definitely red wine. And also I find making it the night before (the mince and sauce) help massively. Same as Lasagne with mince and sauce something about letting it soak in all the flavours for 24 hours and then re heating with fresh spaghetti

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Absolutely not. Unless I'm drinking it separately, in which case I suppose it mixes together on the way through

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Celery, carrot, onion
beef, veal, or pork mince (or a combination thereof- not pork alone, obviously)
Pancetta/streaky bacon
Chicken livers
Tomato paste
Glass of milk (added to the meat and simmered away before adding the wine. White or red will do)
Optional extras- nutmeg, soy sauce, dash of worcestershire, fish sauce
Cook for a few hours then add to tagliatelle and toss well.
Top with parmesan.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Making my first home made baked beans tomorrow, the haricots are now soaking. Looking forward to making this “classic”

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Celery, carrot, onion
beef, veal, or pork mince (or a combination thereof- not pork alone, obviously)
Pancetta/streaky bacon
Chicken livers
Tomato paste
Glass of milk (added to the meat and simmered away before adding the wine. White or red will do)
Optional extras- nutmeg, soy sauce, dash of worcestershire, fish sauce
Cook for a few hours then add to tagliatelle and toss well.
Top with parmesan.
Soy sauce....... in spag bol ?

FFS

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Having an Italian mum I know the real history of Bolognese. She considered it a luxury when she was a kid as they didn’t eat meat all the time it was expensive. ...... so tomato sauce was the norm..... So yes stick wine in it but don’t scrimp on that cooking time. Big pan with plenty of liquid in to start. You’ll never agree on the true indredients because even local towns and villages nearby in Emilia Romagna argue non stop on different recipes.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Friends used to wonder what I was eating when we had pasta growing up in the 60’s.

I still bloody love it though. A good ragu - and please do it with tagliatelle- is still one of my favourite dishes. With a glass of Chianto Classico. I love Italy

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
I always add a bit of Soy Sauce, Lea & Perrins and controversially, a chopped banana. Gives the sauce an amazing sweet flavour.Have honed this recipe over 40 years and share it with you for free.

That’s the sort of slop you feed to a Chinese Snub Nosed Monkey. It might well be both amazing and 40 years old but it is not a Bolognese sauce.

I’m the most mild mannered bloke you’re ever likely to meet, but if you served me a spaghetti bolognese with chopped banana in it, I would muster all my remaining strength to punch you hard in the face.

Yoda

English & European
Perhaps the most important non standard ingredient is milk. Carluccio's recommendation and it really makes a difference.

Actually a very standard ingredient in the region the recipe was invented, Bologna. Also, never served with spaghetti, serve with a fresh tagliatelle (also as per the traditional region) as the ragu sticks to the pasta better.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There are some very odd people with very odd habits on this thread.

Spagetti, minced meat, tomatoes, onions, garlic, oregano.

Anything more is the New York version of real Italian pizza (aka not remotely authentic).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here