[News] Gedling council investigates naked woman shower poster

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
"Offensive" or "quite harmless fun"?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-54614343

A life-sized poster of a naked woman showering, put up on a main road, has prompted a council investigation.

The picture was put on the side of a bathroom store on Arnot Hill Road in Arnold, Nottinghamshire, two weeks ago.

Gedling Borough Council said it had received a complaint about the poster and had reported it to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).

But the owner of the shop, Sam Collins, said the image was no worse than what could be seen on TV or social media.

Mr Collins said the poster was "quite harmless fun".

"It's just a lady taking a shower," he said. "There's nothing rude and she's not really baring anything.

"Seeing how stressful life is at the moment, we thought people could laugh and smile about it."

He said the council had asked him to take it down while the planning team looked into it but he hoped to leave
The poster occupies a prominent position on a busy road through Arnold
However, some Arnold shoppers felt the image was not in good taste.

Elizabeth Clarke, 51, said: "That's just not appropriate. I suppose you can't see anything but there's kids walking past.

"Teenagers have enough to deal with with body image as it is."

Nicole Linford, who works in the women's-only Body-Tone gym on the same road, said people had complained to gym staff after wrongly assuming it was their advert.

She said: "They didn't have much positive to say about it. It's been controversial.

"I'm not offended by it... but I wouldn't choose it myself, and I can understand why people might not want it."

In July last year, another advert that was ruled inappropriate appeared in Nottingham
However, others said they were not offended.

Jacqualyn Lee, 76, said: "It's a show-stopper isn't it?

"I can just see people driving past not looking at the lights. But it doesn't offend me - I just wish I looked like that."

A spokesman for the council confirmed it had received a complaint about the board and its planning team was investigating.

A spokesman for the ASA said it was assessing the poster, and if it was found to have broken rules it could ask for it to be taken down.

Attachments

• bbc story.jpg
    bbc story.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 465

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Put a burker on her and the politically correct brigade will defend it till the cows......oops! wrong account :facepalm:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Bare faced cheek.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I originally read that as Gelding council and thought it would be the one place that wouldn't be bothered about naked women

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
He said the council had asked him to take it down while the planning team looked into it

Presumably this would be after the young lady had left the shower.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Fatties hate to be reminded that they're fatties by anything that depicts a healthy human specimen. Bit like the Protein World 'beach body ready' ads on the tube a few years back.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm thinking about sticking something like this on the van

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Maybe not on the main road.

Middle aged white male spurt fantasy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills