Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] A thread of songs from musicals

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Little Blues Brothers trivia - the kid who tries to steal the guitar from Ray Charles' shop grew up to be Bruce Willis' limo driver in die hard!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The John Wilson Orchestra and musicals go hand in hand, he spent months restoring and rewriting the original scores to many famous MGM musicals (which, amazingly, had been thrown away when MGM moved studios). He has become a mainstay of the BBC Proms since 2011 and tickets for his RAH performances are harder to get than the first and last nights of the Proms. He brings the orchestra (along with many of the solo singers) out on tour after the Proms and we have been lucky enough to see them 3 times at The Dome.

CaergybiGull

Aug 13, 2020
Caergybi, Ynys Môn
I first saw Cabaret (wonderful film) in France in 1975 with a german friend. She had seen the film several times but did not know this song as it was cut from the German version and is, I think, banned in Germany - I think it was the main song for the HitlerJugend

Nope. It was written for the musical and is so well done it's often confused as a genuine nazi song. In fact, the writers were Jewish!

From IMDb: ""Tomorrow Belongs to Me" was written by John Kander and Fred Ebb in the style of a traditional German song to stir up patriotism for "the fatherland." It has often been mistaken for a genuine "Nazi anthem" and led to the songwriters being accused of anti-Semitism despite the fact that both were Jewish. It is also the only song sung outside of the cabaret setting."

I agree that it is a brilliant film and musical tho'...

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Gene Kelly dancing, singing and tap dancing on roller skates, from the 1955 musical 'It's Always Fair Weather', simply amazing!
:ohmy:

And another fantastic sequence from 'Singing In The Rain', this time 'Make'Em Laugh' by Donald O'Connor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here