Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where it all started going wrong?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think everyone must admit our form has dipped from the first few games where we were unlucky not to get anything against top sides.

For me the decline has been Potter feeling he has to act to avoid conceding from set pieces as we did all too much at the beginning of this season.

His answer was to bring in Burn at left back. Now I love the man but he's not a full back, he's a centre back. He's let Townsend have a free cross leading to the penalty at Palace. He's gone missing way out of position for the goal yesterday and he's let many crosses come in against him as well.

He's also decided to move White into defensive midfield. Whilst I think he's played well defensively, he's very inexperienced to be playing that role at the moment.

The result of these changes is that we look half the side we were at the start.

He needs to go back to the team and formation that was playing so well at the beginning of the season.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
He hasn’t brought Burn back as left back he has used him as left centre back pushing White into midfield.

The goal yesterday was after he switched to a flat back four with Burn playing left back but for 160 minutes out of the last 180 he has played in the back three not as a wing back.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Playing one upfront, for whatever reason Maupay cannot play that role and Trossard not play the supporting striker slot, he is too slow and is better behind a front two

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
When we got promoted

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
If we fail to beat Burnley I’d call it a day with potter.

Please don't say that, as you're feeding all the Potter out brigade......
Last nights second half display was not great, but the first half was, so there is still hope.
Don't forget, we'll sometimes struggle.
But I'd rather be an Albionite than A N Other :thumbsup:

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Where it all started going wrong?

29/12/2019 onwards,

1 home win, 6 home losses and 5 home draws

3 away wins, 4 away losses and 6 away draws

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Taking Lallana off when he’s clearly controlling the game didn’t help either.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
We had 45 mins of poor football, think we need to put things in perspective and need to learn from last night. Too early for panic

Have you conveniently forgotten the equally poor displays against Sheffield Utd and Newcastle both at home last season.

I'm not bedwetting or panicking, no disputing Potter has made us look better but is that going to be enough in the long term, jury is still out.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Last nights second half display was not great, but the first half was, so there is still hope.

What worries me more than anything else are the changes Potter made to try and combat WBA from taking control of the game. They were ineffective and he appeared to be completely out-foxed by Bilic in the 2nd half.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton

It’s a results business. We are some way away from getting bonus points for possession abd passing stats. The first 45 mins was 3rd gear. He needs to get them to play at 4th or 5th consistently. The second half was in reverse. Results have been poor for a long time changing that is the only thing that would save us.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Poor finishing is the problem we have had the chances to comfortably win games this season but have not taken them and that is why we are struggling.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Here’s my perspective. For all the nice football how many games have we won in 2020?

Home games 1 (Arsenal)

Away games 2 (Norwich, Burnley)

Nice football, similar outcomes to the previous manager.

Potter needs to step up, he walked into this Premier League job with no experience, he now needs to prove he is worthy of Bloom's bold decision.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He hasn’t brought Burn back as left back he has used him as left centre back pushing White into midfield.

The goal yesterday was after he switched to a flat back four with Burn playing left back but for 160 minutes out of the last 180 he has played in the back three not as a wing back.

Agree, but by removing Solly Burn had no protection.
Doesn’t change the fact Burn inexplicably chased space rather drop back into shape on their goal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
What worries me more than anything else are the changes Potter made to try and combat WBA from taking control of the game. They were ineffective and he appeared to be completely out-foxed by Bilic in the 2nd half.

Agree, but its how GP is going to learn.
IMO Alzate should've come on earlier to replace Lallana instead of Gross.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Have you conveniently forgotten the equally poor displays against Sheffield Utd and Newcastle both at home last season.

I'm not bedwetting or panicking, no disputing Potter has made us look better but is that going to be enough in the long term, jury is still out.

That was last season, on the whole we've been playing well this season just not getting the rub of the green. If we play like last night for the next 3 games I'll be worried. Personally I don't think that will happen

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I think Potter spends a little too much time worrying about the opposition and changing the side to suit. Ben White is a good player but has played in DM four times for Leeds and we thrust him in there with far better and more experienced players for that position on the bench. Let’s worry about us imposing ourselves on games. Last night I would rather he had brought Connolly on to give WBA another problem, as per Watford away last season.

He needs to stop being quite so loyal. Maupay needs a spell on the bench. I think the fact that Maupay is such a good footballer and suits Potters style that it blinds him to the fact that currently his finishing is not up to scratch. His two bad misses in last two games have arguably cost us 4 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here