Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter’s post match comments......

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I thought not playing two upfront against a team that only had one point was negative. Having said that we did create chances that weren’t taken. Gross for Lallana was negative imo. Playing White rather than Alzate was just bizarre. All about opinions I guess

No it isn't.

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
Potter always sounds crap in press conferences. Win or lose. He's just not good at them or not interested in them, or managerial mind games (at this stage at least).

He's the young manager with lots to prove.

I've no doubt he's different person behind the scenes. No way he can control that lot without strength of character and a harsh word here or there.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I was totally onboard with replacing Hughton with Potter, and there’s been lots to be very very happy about:
- We play far more attractive football.
- We’re giving youth a chance, more than pretty much any other PL team I can think of, and I love that.
- There have been plenty of positive improvements across the squad.

But I am starting to notice a couple of signs which are ringing warning bells.

1). We sometimes seem a little more focused on ‘the project’ as an exercise in itself than is perhaps ideal. Why White and not Alzate in midfield at home to WBA?

2). I’d like a bit more passion and oomph from Potter at times...

In the second half last night, the WBA manager was permanently on the tips of his toes at the edge of his technical area, urging his team forward, passionately shouting instructions and encouragement, living and breathing every second of the game with them. Their players almost didn’t need to look over, they could hear and sense his leadership.

By contrast I think we saw GP twice on the coverage, that I noticed anyway.

Once stroking his teeth with his thumb, and once having a huddled discussion with an assistant.

The team were clearly struggling and at a loss as to how to get the initiative back in the game, but there just didn’t seem to be a lot coming from the touchline. At all. If we play a young team, then leadership becomes even more critical.

I may be wrong; maybe TV gave a distorted view, but it does start to feel like this reserved, quiet, ‘well it is what it is’ persona is his only style, no matter what the circumstances. (Alongside the “we’ll learn from this” routine, which - as others have pointed out - it would be good if learning started to become teaching sooner rather than later.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
IMHO he's out of his depth, why TB gave him such a long contract baffles me, but wonder whether he would be prepared to swallow his pride and get rid ?
Much as I seeth at the thought, might Smug Eddie do a better job ?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I

2). I’d like a bit more passion and oomph from Potter at times...

In the second half last night, the WBA manager was permanently on the tips of his toes at the edge of his technical area, urging his team forward, passionately shouting instructions and encouragement, living and breathing every second of the game with them. Their players almost didn’t need to look over, they could hear and sense his leadership.

I'm always a bit bemused by lots of people who would feel better if the manager was more animated. I can see that it gives us fans a sense of passion, living the moment, "kicking every ball" but I just don't believe that translates necessarily into effective management or communication. The extreme impact of this (I appreciate not what you are suggesting) is that players don't make decisions for themselves, it becomes "white noise" to the players or becomes distracting verging on annoying.
I am sure the GP has different styles up his sleeve : he is a student of leadership and many of those theories suggest you need different styles depending on the situation. I certainly don't begrudge his interviews. He will be role-modelling his beliefs to the players - looking for learning opportunities to improve, seeking positives to build confidence and taking accountability to demand performance. I guess I am saying that I don't think Bilic's animations last night would have made the difference, nor do I think GP doing the same would have made a difference either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here