Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter critics: where do you think we should be in the league?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Bottom 3 with Potter in charge unfortunately.

I find it interesting why this question stumps you anti Potter guy. Do you know what “should” means? I’ll try again.

Where do you think we SHOULD finish in the league?

NOT where do you think we will. Ie. What would Potter have to do, for you to say, “that’s a good job”.

razer

Mar 10, 2019
Ormskirk, Lancashire
I would settle for one or 2 places better than last year and the same for the year after that. Unless we recruit very wisely (ie spend a large sum of TB's hard earned), I think that is as good as we will get. Games won in double figures would be nice too.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Should be aiming for 14th. Realistically could be as low as 17th. We shouldn’t be playing like that in the second half. It’s not even the result. It’s the manner of it. Too nice. For the first time, I’ve thought we could do better with someone else. The players mirror their managers demeanour and presence.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Agree. THIS is realistic. Not top 10.

No question, tonight was very disappointing. But it doesn’t mean we’re down, it’s not all doom. We ain’t relegated tonight.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Potter, apparently tipped as the best coach in the country by Ashworth, took Swansea to 10th in the Championship. Last season they finished 6th.

We should be mid table now. Two points dropped against a Man U team there for the taking. Given a lesson in taking your chances by Palace. Two more points dropped tonight with poor finishing, poor defending and generally switching back to the sitting back of old, a la Hughton. That's arguably another 6 points, certainly another 4 we should have.

And, at some point, that stops being "unlucky" and just exists. We seem to lack killer instinct and with players like Lallana, Trossard and Biss in the side that's becoming a problem.

All the evidence so far points to a good indivdual coach who wants to play football the right way who just can't buy a result.

You’re not wrong...

I posted this in the West Brom match thread when they scored their (deserved) equaliser.

“This is Potter MO.
Can’t
Kill
Games
Off”

If I was Bloom, this would be my major concern. But, I’d still give him the season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In and around Stains and CP, in mid table.

We’ve had 7 transfer windows now, the (fair) rookies excuse long since irrelevant.

We lack a defence who can churn out clean sheets, have awful game management and aren’t street wise.

We've had 7 transfer windows where many teams that have splashed out more than us have had 2, or 4 at most.

Hughton was ditched because we wanted to transform our playing style, our mentality. That doesn't happen over night. You'd have to be blind not to see our performances have for the most part been much better, we compete and dominate far more games than we ever did before. Burnley, Southampton, Palace etc. have all had worse runs than us, but have turned it around through patience and resilience. Last season Southampton looked dead and buried but stuck with the manager as he was transforming their mentality.

Potter is just 44 league games into his Brighton career. I think he needs a bit more time such as Southampton have given Ralph Hasenhüttl.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Agree. THIS is realistic. Not top 10.

No question, tonight was very disappointing. But it doesn’t mean we’re down, it’s not all doom. We ain’t relegated tonight.

True, all will be well, because Potter will, as he says "learn from this". :ffsparr:

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
We’ve played six matches and played poorly for about 90 minutes. Fine margins in PL football, all too often you miss your chances and the opposition makes you pay. Could have been another comfortable 3:0 win tonight but has ended up being another disappointing score draw. UTA.

NorthLainer

Aug 12, 2011
Now available in Hove
I find it interesting why this question stumps you anti Potter guy. Do you know what “should” means? I’ll try again.

NOT where do you think we will. Ie. What would Potter have to do, for you to say, “that’s a good job”.
Really not sure what you're getting at with this thread. At the end of the season we'll finish were we deserve to. No should, would or could, 38 games is enough to be definitive. We should have more points than we do now, can't see anybody disagreeing. Are you asking where we could finish with a another manager?

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

This is probably the best Albion squad since the late 70s and early 80s. Potter should be wining more than 4 in 23. We should be aiming to finish somewhere between 15 to 10. Maybe having a look at teams like Southampton who seem to have a team that wants to fight for there manager and and have a comparable team to us (with the exception of Ings). Unfortunately our team reflect the personality of our manager! The apologists will always say that anything above the bottom 3 is a result as we are little Brighton. You need to aim higher!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Criticising Potter (4 wins in 2020) not allowed.
Criticising Maupuy (4 goals in 7 games)allowed.
I'm sure it makes sense

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
We've had 7 transfer windows where many teams that have splashed out more than us have had 2, or 4 at most.

Hughton was ditched because we wanted to transform our playing style, our mentality. That doesn't happen over night. You'd have to be blind not to see our performances have for the most part been much better, we compete and dominate far more games than we ever did before. Burnley, Southampton, Palace etc. have all had worse runs than us, but have turned it around through patience and resilience. Last season Southampton looked dead and buried but stuck with the manager as he was transforming their mentality.

Potter is just 44 league games into his Brighton career. I think he needs a bit more time such as Southampton have given Ralph Hasenhüttl.

Another balanced, non knee jerk response.

My faith is being restored by some posters tonight. Come on guys, we’re the Albion. We’re a real club, not one of the top 6 plastics.

We have to fight for our points. It’s a bloody luxury, and we can finally play some football. Give Potter a chance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’m pleased Stains stuck with Hasenhuttl, I genuinely rated him before and after their car crash.

I would’ve generally agreed with you, before that second half. That might sound irrational, but it was one bad luck story too far. NSC has spent the last 15 months blaming refs and lady luck. We’re always on the cusp of giving opponents hidings, but other than Newcastle, we seem to be a magnet for losses and draws grabbed from the jaws of glory.

I’m not suggesting a sacking is now the only option, but should we keep conceding goals and are flirting with the bottom three come January, a change of management wouldn’t shock me.

I’m not one of the posters who thrives on our demise. I found the last third of this evening’s game and the equaliser painful, I’d be celebrating with everyone else if we’d justly won this 6 pointer. But the reality was that Bilic and his men started to take us apart FFS.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Really not sure what you're getting at with this thread. At the end of the season we'll finish were we deserve to. No should, would or could, 38 games is enough to be definitive. We should have more points than we do now, can't see anybody disagreeing. Are you asking where we could finish with a another manager?

I’m saying most of the Potter haters have an unrealistic view of how we should be doing. It’s not like FIFA. We don’t have a divine right to beat these teams below us.

We are where we should be. We’re not plastic. We’re a real club, that has fought to survive and get to this division.

Yet some of these anti Potter fellows think we should have taken more points from Chelsea, Man U and Everton. Let’s stay up first.

Be realistic, is what I’m saying.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

This is probably the best Albion squad since the late 70s and early 80s. Potter should be wining more than 4 in 23. We should be aiming to finish somewhere between 15 to 10. Maybe having a look at teams like Southampton who seem to have a team that wants to fight for there manager and and have a comparable team to us (with the exception of Ings). Unfortunately our team reflect the personality of our manager! The apologists will always say that anything above the bottom 3 is a result as we are little Brighton. You need to aim higher!

The same Saints side that lost 0-9 a year ago.. not fighting for their manager..
Southampton are a good comaparator for us, as side to aim to compete with. I don;t understand why we have to assume that we dont have the fight - a last minute goal vs. man Utd, a last minute goal vs. palace, battled against Chelsea. I think theres plenty of fight in the side , but we are still capable of poor performances like this unfortunately.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

If we go down under Potter, your words would carry a lot more weight. And we can discuss and analyse the next potential managers.

But right now. Potter kept us up.

We’ve played SIX games. And played really well in most. You’d have to be a liar, or wilfully ignorant to deny that aside from tonight Potter has improved our football and blooded our young talent. We play now. And really play. No more backs to the wall Hughton specials. Surely if you love your football you can see this improvement?

So why don’t you let Potter have a go? By all means, you can say I told you so come end of the season... but there’s a long way to go. Give Potter a chance.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The way we are playing it can see it going one of two ways, 12th or 13th comfortable or bottom three.

In general we play some wonderful stuff but weak up top or we are careless with the ball and look exposed at the back.

Maybe the answer is Wellbeck up top and Dunk leading from the back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here