Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter critics: where do you think we should be in the league?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Fair enough on both points. I read the "soft centred" more than the non-criticism of development.

In the pre-Covid market he was certainly worth that, IMO, Others disagree so he does split opinion. It's a game of them, after all.

You'd get on very well with my mate who I travel to games and sit with at games when we were allowed, and now watch together on telly or text each other during them. I see Maupay's goals. He sees his misses. He is frustrating but you have to be there to miss. Plus, on Monday, he never should have been given the chance to miss - Lallana should have shot.

Yes, agree with all this. We seemed to sign Veltman just because he became available and we'd been sniffing rather than through any real other reason. Having Dunk suspended and still playing White in midfield is lunacy. Ally Mac isn't going to learn much playing for 10 minutes a game, except for how little it means to score against them up the road with no fans present. Propper is too slow for Potter ball and my Ali J thoughts are all over his thread.

Sorry for doing the multi quotes thing - just made it easier to tie back to specific points.

No, it's a good way to do it. And I admit my 'soft-centred' remark could be taken that way. Failure to deal with that soft centre is another minus in recruitment. The loss of Kayal and Sidwell on the eve of our Premier League debut was never addressed and still hasn't been, IMHO. In fact you could say that the departure of Stevens has made it worse. Bissouma can put his foot in and I have high hopes of Molumby. But do many opponents look up, see one of our players coming to contest a 50-50 ball and think 'I don't fancy this'?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No, it's a good way to do it. And I admit my 'soft-centred' remark could be taken that way. Failure to deal with that soft centre is another minus in recruitment. The loss of Kayal and Sidwell on the eve of our Premier League debut was never addressed and still hasn't been, IMHO. In fact you could say that the departure of Stevens has made it worse. Bissouma can put his foot in and I have high hopes of Molumby. But do many opponents look up, see one of our players coming to contest a 50-50 ball and think 'I don't fancy this'?

Perhaps only with Dunk when it's a few yards from goal in the last seconds........

As stated on one of the post match threads I doubt anyone even bottles a header against Burn - so long as you're 6ft ish already and can jump better than an elephant you'll beat him or at least get him to head the second ball straight to one of your team mates.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
No lower than seventh, and I'm being extraordinarily generous - because that means missing out on Europe.

We worked two successive promotions twenty years ago, and I consider any performance short of that standard a grave disappointment.
Anything you can do once you can do again.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Time for change. Pretty football but not decisive enough in front of goal. He has the best squad an Albion Manager has ever had. We should be getting results and be looking to mid table.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Time for change. Pretty football but not decisive enough in front of goal. He has the best squad an Albion Manager has ever had.
While playing the best opposition ever faced.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Just tired of being in a 4th successive bottom 5 mini-league.

It could be argued people will get bored with 4 seasons fighting to finish between 10th and 14th
At least the excitement of trying to avoid the drop is a bit more dramatic. This is the Premier league and where we want to be.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's not a myth is it.

Bad signings:
Montoya £6m- binned
Bernado £8m- rarely features
Mooy £3.5m - binned
AJ - £17m awful return
Locadia - £14m shocking
Button £1m - pointless
Andone £5m - binned

Not bad signings:
Izquierdo £14m - horrible run of injuries
Trossard £14m- erratic and very similar position to Gross (and now Lallana)
Vetmann £1m (not needed, we had tried to bring him in under Hughton when we didn't have a million centre backs)
Macallister £8m had to be rushed back from Boca because we didn't have enough good attackers. For the future
Propper £10m - good player, can't score now out of favour
Maupay - £20m for 10 goals and a lot more mosses, it's more of a hit than a miss but it's
Webster - did we need to blow £20m on w centre back, no. Very sketchy last year, better after lockdown
Bissouma £8m - lots of potential, good dribbler and has scored 2 x v good goals

Very good signings - Lamptey, er...

As has been said, we don't have many players that could be deemed dangermen or would get in the side of many top 10 teams. It's a side picked on how they fit into a style, rather than in how many points they will get.

We've spent a lot for not a lot

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Blimey seriously glass half empty

Bad signings:
Montoya £6m- Binned? Everybody leaves eventually, did a solid if unspectacular job. Bad signing? Why? He's not world class but he did ok.
Bernado £8m- rarely features, fair enough I actually think he should play more but he doesn't you have a point.
Mooy £3.5m - binned. Not Binned, left of his own accord for the payday. Did just fine for a £5m signing most of which was recovered. We didn't give him a free did we?
AJ - £17m awful return- Not done but not looking good. - Don't think he'll make it but it won't be a Locadia style right off.
Locadia - £14m shocking - 100% agree. Thought he was shite 1st time I saw him nothing he did changed that view. :lolol:
Button £1m - pointless. Not pointless at all. He came in as a free covered while Walton gained some valuable experience and sale price covered his wages while here.
Andone £5m - binned. Unfortunately bloke is a fruit cake, has ability but is done here I suspect. Some fee to be recovered

Not bad signings:
Izquierdo £14m - horrible run of injuries. Exactly?
Trossard £14m- erratic and very similar position to Gross (and now Lallana). Yes big season in front of him but we'd get our money back if we sold right now,
Vetmann £1m (not needed, we had tried to bring him in under Hughton when we didn't have a million centre backs) CL and International experience for under £1m/ Can play RB as well and is better in our system than Shane who we hoped to get £10m for. Needed.
Macallister £8m had to be rushed back from Boca because we didn't have enough good attackers For the future, - looks to have a chance to me
Propper £10m - good player, can't score now out of favour - 6 games in, half of which he was injured for? Out of favour :lolol:
Maupay - £20m for 10 goals and a lot more mosses, it's more of a hit than a miss but it's - 10 in his 1st season at this level was decent, suspect he'll do better this season. Worth north of £20m? I'd say so look at the fees for Championship strikers this summer.
Webster - did we need to blow £20m on w centre back, no. Very sketchy last year, better after lockdown - 1st season at this level improving and a much better footballer than Duffy hence the move. Think he will be a big player in a year or two.
Bissouma £8m - lots of potential, good dribbler and has scored 2 x v good goals - Worth a bit more than we paid already and clearly on the upgrade bit better than a not bad signing clearly?

Very good signings - Lamptey £30m-40m? you tell me?.We paid £3m. Alzate who is already a £10m player. £100k. Bissouma improving rapidly still young, Ryan just £5m for a keeper with such good stats what's he worth now? More than that.

We are playing in one of the best and highest paying leagues in the world. We are paying less than most, are we expecting Salah and Kane to be signing? Our entire squad combined is probably earning less than Chelsea's midfield why are people expecting us to pick up top class experienced complete players for £40k a week? We are going to be buying potential or flawed players we hope we can blend with potential or other flawed players and coach improvement into them to build a squad good enough to make incremental gains while surviving in the PL.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here