Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter critics: where do you think we should be in the league?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Bottom two budget = relegation, Newcastle away was last seasons Watford some got carried away which was fair enough I suppose. March had is usual couple of good games a season to trick the March fans into thinking this is his year. Maupay despite a couple of pens can’t hit a barn door. We didn’t spend on a quality striker and will pay the price.

Correct..

This is my feeling. I think we have (continued) to recruit poorly. Whether whose fault that is I don’t know.

But I don’t think Potter has the best squad to pick from. Especially in the striking department.

Because of this I find it hard to be too harsh on GP.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Silly thread. I don’t think anyone thinks we should any higher than not in a constant relegation battle. We have spent decent money over Potter’s time. His record is appalling. He intimated that it was the crowd on the players back for the poor home form yet it’s been dire with and without the crowd. He must be held to account for teams results just as Hughton was. 4 wins in 23 does not show improvement but it seems many think he is untouchable!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Care to elaborate?

Well you made the claim. Why can’t you elaborate?

You think our current players are good enough to be top 10? And any Albion manager who fails to get there should be sacked?

That’s why I say “wow..”

Convince me that our players are that good.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Silly thread. I don’t think anyone thinks we should any higher than not in a constant relegation battle. We have spent decent money over Potter’s time. His record is appalling. He intimated that it was the crowd on the players back for the poor home form yet it’s been dire with and without the crowd. He must be held to account for teams results just as Hughton was. 4 wins in 23 does not show improvement but it seems many think he is untouchable!

So where do you think we should finish?

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Should be aiming for 14th. Realistically could be as low as 17th. We shouldn’t be playing like that in the second half. It’s not even the result. It’s the manner of it. Too nice. For the first time, I’ve thought we could do better with someone else. The players mirror their managers demeanour and presence.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
Well you made the claim. Why can’t you elaborate?

You think our current players are good enough to be top 10? And any Albion manager who fails to get there should be sacked?

That’s why I say “wow..”

Convince me that our players are that good.

That’s not what’s I said- top 10 Is fantasy but Potter should be getting more out the players and I think mid table is realistic with the right coaching/management style

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Correct..

This is my feeling. I think we have (continued) to recruit poorly. Whether whose fault that is I don’t know.

But I don’t think Potter has the best squad to pick from. Especially in the striking department.

Because of this I find it hard to be too harsh on GP.
We undervalue our targets thinking clubs will just give them away, Nunez prime example now Benfica think he will become an £80m striker and we offered £12m not the reported £25m. GP also wanted a left back and a keeper didn’t get one of his wishes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Genuinely curious. Me? I’m gutted tonight, though I’ll stick with Potter even if we go down.

But there’s a few here who have wanted Potter out for a while. They pop up whenever we have a result. They seem to be impassioned fans, so I take them at their word. But I never get a straight answer.

So for those haters and critics who want Potter OUT.

WHERE do you think we should aiming for in the league? Top 8? Top 10? Mid table? Above relegation? In relegation zone?

Because I’ve just seen one guy slating Potter, and then in the same breath say our players “ain’t good enough”. So what is it?

Potter, apparently tipped as the best coach in the country by Ashworth, took Swansea to 10th in the Championship. Last season they finished 6th.

We should be mid table now. Two points dropped against a Man U team there for the taking. Given a lesson in taking your chances by Palace. Two more points dropped tonight with poor finishing, poor defending and generally switching back to the sitting back of old, a la Hughton. That's arguably another 6 points, certainly another 4 we should have.

And, at some point, that stops being "unlucky" and just exists. We seem to lack killer instinct and with players like Lallana, Trossard and Biss in the side that's becoming a problem.

All the evidence so far points to a good indivdual coach who wants to play football the right way who just can't buy a result.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
In and around Stains and CP, in mid table.

We’ve had 7 transfer windows now, the (fair) rookies excuse long since irrelevant.

We lack a defence who can churn out clean sheets, have awful game management and aren’t street wise.

Is the correct answer!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not a Potter critic, more Potter concerned, i think we should be 14th. if you're not winning to relegation candidates, you're a relegation candidate too.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Success fo me would be one more win, 3 more points than last season. I am not confident (yet) we will achieve that. Come back to me after we have been outplayed by Spurs who hit the bar six times to beat our record and we are awarded a last minute penalty which Maulpay hit the bar and Welbeck scores the rebound.....

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Potter, apparently tipped as the best coach in the country by Ashworth, took Swansea to 10th in the Championship. Last season they finished 6th.

We should be mid table now. Two points dropped against a Man U team there for the taking. Given a lesson in taking your chances by Palace. Two more points dropped tonight with poor finishing, poor defending and generally switching back to the sitting back of old, a la Hughton. That's arguable another 6 points, certainly another 4 we should have.

And, at some point, that stops being "unlucky" and just exists. We seem to lack killer instinct and with players like Lallana, Trossard and Biss in the side that's becoming a problem.

All the evidence so far points to a good indivdual coach who wants to play football the right way who just can't buy a result.

These woulda, shoulda, coulda points we keep dropping are getting depressing now.

it would be far from unjust if we were sitting pretty on 11 points tonight and I wouldn't be sitting here fearing Burnley finally rediscovering their winning touch.

And it's EXACTLY the same story as much of last season as you say.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In and around Stains and CP, in mid table.

We’ve had 7 transfer windows now, the (fair) rookies excuse long since irrelevant.

We lack a defence who can churn out clean sheets, have awful game management and aren’t street wise.

This

not a Potter critic, more Potter concerned, i think we should be 14th. if you're not winning to relegation candidates, you're a relegation candidate too.

And this.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
These woulda, shoulda, coulda points we keep dropping are getting depressing now.

From the way we played tonight it seems the players are feeling the same

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Should be aiming for 14th. Realistically could be as low as 17th. We shouldn’t be playing like that in the second half. It’s not even the result. It’s the manner of it. Too nice. For the first time, I’ve thought we could do better with someone else. The players mirror their managers demeanour and presence.

Same here. A seminal moment where I felt other managers would be able to get more from the sum of the parts, but more importantly not entirely cede the last 30 minutes to PL newbies in every facet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here