Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maupay

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Lesson learnt we’ve got another player scared to shoot in Lallana

I'm not sure that's true. He does still feel like a guest and suspect when/if he feels like a Brighton player he'll feel he has the right to be more selfish. More importantly he'll know Maupay needs goals to keep his confidence. We need Maupay to stay confident and in the right frame of mind as we have no other striker ready for 90 minutes of taking chances. We also don't have the right decision making on the final ball to serve him...except McAllister who delivers the quick ball because he's not yet been indoctrinated in the Brighton ponderous pass it around the box until it breaks down technique.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'm not sure that's true. He does still feel like a guest and suspect when/if he feels like a Brighton player he'll feel he has the right to be more selfish. More importantly he'll know Maupay needs goals to keep his confidence. We need Maupay to stay confident and in the right frame of mind as we have no other striker ready for 90 minutes of taking chances. We also don't have the right decision making on the final ball to serve him...except McAllister who delivers the quick ball because he's not yet been indoctrinated in the Brighton ponderous pass it around the box until it breaks down technique.

Great post, twickers, and I agree on both accounts:
1. Lallana will have a feeling, possibly strongly, that he's there to assist the younger players to a large degree. This could be a negative as much as a positive in scoring situations.
2. Indoctrination into the 'Brighton Way' has it's dangers (especially as this 'way' is not yet delivering results). Let's hope McAllister can keep most of his intuitive skills. I do think some players are overthinking things because of the direction of coaching. We'll see how it pans out.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
He was dreadful again tonight. Terrible final ball, poor decision making, ponderous in the box.

I had hoped a ‘rest’ would do him good but he was worse tonight than even before.

He needs dropped.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
At least he shoots in the box , even if the square ball is a better option. You never know it might take a wicked deflection and go in.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't think i've hated one of our own strikers more than Maupay.

Hate is the wrong word

Whatever you think about his ability as a PL striker, there's no suggestion he doesn't care or he isn't trying

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Awful tonight unfortunately. Looked woefully short of confidence, should not be starting the next games.

He’s just not good enough.

I’ve sure most fans want him to do well, I want him to do well, but he is falling short at this level.

He looks okay dropping short in build-up, but to be brutally honest he carries such little threat I don’t think teams are that bothered dropping deep with him, they feel quite safe letting him have it.

It’s the craft of centre forward play he’s really missing, the half turn, just spinning off, sniffing out half chances. Real shame he’s not managed to step up like others have.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
Maupay is truly Championship level at best but Potter keeps playing him and Potter hasn't made him into a Prem player. Not really Maupay's fault that he's not good enough

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Looks totally out of sorts, should not be starting let alone getting 90 minutes every game.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
One of the worst performances from a Brighton striker I’ve ever seen tonight. Truly woeful. Gross wasn’t much better either.

Jahanbakhsh & Ziqiri deserve starts next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here