Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Women on mobile phones....

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Is it just women that are constantly chatting on their mobile phones? No-matter what else they are doing? Phone on speaker and doing other things while chatting nonsense with their chums?
I don’t know any blokes that do it anywhere near as much as women.

Apart from relatives I only ever use the phone to make quick arrangements and that is usually by WhatsApp.

I am in my 40’s, perhaps the younger generation are different? Are the younger generation of men on the phone the whole time?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Is it just women that are constantly chatting on their mobile phones? No-matter what else they are doing? Phone on speaker and doing other things while chatting nonsense with their chums?

Apart from relatives I only ever use the phone to make quick arrangements and that is usually by WhatsApp.

I am in my 40’s, perhaps the younger generation are different? Are the younger generation of men on the phone the whole time?

Forget the 'mobile' bit and forget what year/generation it is. The ladies have always loved a natter on the blower. I like it. Means I'm not getting talked at.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Must admit since my start of self isolating, my phone chats have been much longer than before.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Forget the 'mobile' bit and forget what year/generation it is. The ladies have always loved a natter on the blower. I like it. Means I'm not getting talked at.

I agree. I meant more this habit of having it on speaker and gassing away like their mate is in the room, regardless of whoever else is within earshot? Oblivious to how rude it is.

Additionally, I hate being put on speaker unless they’re driving. Really annoys me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If any of my mates phoned me for "a chat", I'd be totally weirded out, and instantly assume something was wrong. I'll chat with mates when we meet up, otherwise any conversation is done strictly in text format, be it Whatsapp, SMS, Facebook or whatever. I've NEVER felt the urge to "share my day" with any of my mates over the phone, but the doris will spend half the evening doing exactly that with friends, sisters, workmates.

Its definitely a woman thing.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If any of my mates phoned me for "a chat", I'd be totally weirded out, and instantly assume something was wrong. I'll chat with mates when we meet up, otherwise any conversation is done strictly in text format, be it Whatsapp, SMS, Facebook or whatever. I've NEVER felt the urge to "share my day" with any of my mates over the phone, but the doris will spend half the evening doing exactly that with friends, sisters, workmates.

Probably a good thing to be honest, they can share their daily troubles with like minded souls and why they don't bottle things up and just go berserk once in a blood moon.....

Oh hang on....

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
What I cannot get my head around is the missus is constantly glued to her phone. Either on the phone or just staring and scrolling through social media. 99.9% of the time.

Yet whenever I call her for whatever reason does she ever answer? Does she ****.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I agree. I meant more this habit of having it on speaker and gassing away like their mate is in the room, regardless of whoever else is within earshot? Oblivious to how rude it is.

Additionally, I hate being put on speaker unless they’re driving. Really annoys me.

Totally with you on this new phenomenon of unnecessary speakerphone in public places. WTF is that all about? There is literally zero rationale. Me & a mate got in to a miniature row on the train a few months ago when we decided to join in with the loudspeaker conversation with the woman opposite us on the train. She totally did not get it :ffsparr:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
What I cannot get my head around is the missus is constantly glued to her phone. Either on the phone or just staring and scrolling through social media. 99.9% of the time.

Yet whenever I call her for whatever reason does she ever answer? Does she ****.

Alas this mystery will never be solved.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

A couple of mates felt obliged to start doing FaceTime calls through the lockdown. After a couple of awkward goes at it we all agreed it is unnatural for men to do this and stuck to sending each other funny stuff on WhatsApp.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Probably a good thing to be honest, they can share their daily troubles with like minded souls and why they don't bottle things up and just go berserk once in a blood moon.....

Oh hang on....

If there are troubles to share then we meet up, I've certainly been on both sides of that coin over the years. Fortunately nearly all my close mates are fairly local, but then I don't have many, as you'd expect.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Totally with you on this new phenomenon of unnecessary speakerphone in public places. WTF is that all about? There is literally zero rationale. Me & a mate got in to a miniature row on the train a few months ago when we decided to join in with the loudspeaker conversation with the woman opposite us on the train. She totally did not get it :ffsparr:

Ha!
It is a thing though isn’t it, it’s not just me who’s noticed it! Bizarre.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A couple of mates felt obliged to start doing FaceTime calls through the lockdown. After a couple of awkward goes at it we all agreed it is unnatural for men to do this and stuck to sending each other funny stuff on WhatsApp.

Which is exactly what its for.

I actually resisted Whatsapp for a long time, but eventually succumbed. Its handy for making arrangements in a group chat, talking about the game on TV, and sharing funny shit as you say. But I've still never actually called / facetimed anyone on it, nor have I received one. Thankfully we're all relatively normal (there are no wimmin on it, obvs).

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
In the early days, a woman was talking very loudly on an enormous phone in the carriage I was in on a train. Whilst talking, it rang :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I actually resisted Whatsapp for a long time, but eventually succumbed. Its handy for making arrangements in a group chat, talking about the game on TV, and sharing funny shit as you say. But I've still never actually called / facetimed anyone on it, nor have I received one. Thankfully we're all relatively normal (there are no wimmin on it, obvs).

Yep, WhatsApp is the peak of coms for me and most of my mates. As you say, great for making arrangements and sending the odd funny link.
We need nothing more :)
Only person I really speak to on the phone is my 96 yr old Gran in Melbourne for obvious reasons and my sister.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Whatsapp is useful for free international calls.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
just this morning, my wife had a 35 minute conversation with her 'best friend' about seemingly nothing while she tidied up after breakfast, neither of them appeared to actually have anything of note to say above and beyond "kids made such a mess" "washing machine is already on its second load" and so on. phone call ends and within 45 minutes they are back on the phone chatting yet again about nothing. it is now just after 3pm and they have had four conversations today, totaling over 3 hours all about nothing. not making plans or asking each other anything, just chewing the cud. weird to me. not on speakerphone thank goodness.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

As a women, I can't answer your question as I don't do it. Infact I get moaned at by my husband becasue I will regually leave the house without the phone. Not on purpose it's just that keys, purse, face mask all take priority and I sometimes forget it.

I guess like men not all women are the same.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
So many times I’ve looked at a bus go by and see girls staring down at their phones.

Brad Pitt (or whoever they fancy these days) could walk right past and they wouldn’t have a clue!

They can’t just stare out of the window watching the world go by. How sad. They have a fixation that the world on their phone is so much better than the one around them.

I think phones have totally destroyed their attention spans and gave them a ‘there’s always something better on the next page’ attitude. Dating apps probably have something to do with this too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Whatsapp is useful for free international calls.

Sure, I can see that (FB is the same). I just don't do social phone calls. Never have. The only time of late is to speak with my dad, as he's been going through a course of treatment of late and he's not great at texting, so once he's home I'll call him to see how its gone. But general chit-chat phone calls with family/friends (and I do have rellies in Oz) - nah. Its just not me.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here