Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Lewis Hamilton the greatest living British sportsman?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Worthy of such a title?

Sorry not for me, it has to be the full package, ie both in the chosen sport and away from it, and whilst he’s a superb driver off the track he’s an idiot.

For me it’s one of three, Sir Steven Redgrave, Lord Botham or a bit left field but look at his life journey and his achievements within his sport, Tyson Fury.

NogansRun

Aug 8, 2016
Sure he can drive the fastest car, but he has regularly been a whining little prick when he doesn't get his own way. Part of being a great sportsman is showing grace in defeat, that is why many don't like him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am not getting into an argument with anyone about this as nobody will change my opinion and I won’t be changing yours :smile:

Undoubtably the greatest living British sportsman imo. Also a terrific role model. Being an F1 driver is on a different level to being a footballer or cricketer imo. You don’t run the risk of such debilitating injuries or death kicking, hitting or throwing a ball.

I would love to know how the OP has come to the conclusion that LH is an idiot. Yes he was very immature when he was younger but I have seen absolutely nothing over the last couple of years that warrants calling him an idiot :shrug:

Lewis Hamilton :bowdown:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Highly subjective but I’d put these ahead of Hamilton who I just cannot warm to

Andy Murray
Lennox Lewis
Daley Thompson
Mo Farah
Steve Redgrave

And if you want to include pub games then Phil Taylor has a phenomenal record.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I would be fascinated to know how many of those that dismiss F1 as a sport actually enjoy driving and have driven high performance cars anywhere close to the limit.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I would love to know how the OP has come to the conclusion that LH is an idiot.

He has lost a lot of admirers by pushing the Black Lives Matter agenda.

The ‘All Lives Matter’ brigade have really taken a dislike to him, how dare he fight for equality when he is meant to be a racing driver?

His Facebook page is always littered with derogatory comments from angry elderly white men, click on their profiles and the majority are uneducated bald Leeds Fans (or other similarly northern teams like Burnley).

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I have no interest in F1 but Hamilton seems like a decent lad, and very few British sportspeople have maintained their position at the top of their sport in the way that he has (in my lifetime)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He has lost a lot of admirers by pushing the Black Lives Matter agenda.

The ‘All Lives Matter’ brigade have really taken a dislike to him, how dare he fight for equality when he is meant to be a racing driver?

His Facebook page is always littered with derogatory comments from angry elderly white men, click on their profiles and the majority are uneducated bald Leeds Fans (or other similarly northern teams like Burnley).

I will listen to and respect the opinions of anyone who has been subjected to bullying, racist abuse, homophobia etc even if they can be a bit tiresome after a while. Not so much those who are responsible for the abuse, which probably covers most of the people you mention.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I would be fascinated to know how many of those that dismiss F1 as a sport actually enjoy driving and have driven high performance cars anywhere close to the limit.

Did a few years Karting when younger, won a few Club and Regional Championships (Senna, Prost & Mansell all contemporaries, obviously they were a wee bit better than me!).

The essential problem with motor sport is that if your equipment is clearly better than the opposition you will likely win.

My dad had been a TT Racer who prepared his own Bikes and it was clear that the Karts my Older Brother and I raced were simply better prepared & quicker than other peoples (Brother actually became 125 British Champion).

Didn't stop me enjoying winning of course, but emphasised to me that it wasn't particularly down to my talent!

Oh and the finest British Racing Driver is a close call between Sir Stirling Moss and Jim Clark, I think I will go for the latter, just.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Succesful sports people are selfish and driven, you have to be to be successful, many of them are not particularly nice people whilst on the job. F1 is its own little bubble, I'm sure rowing is too.

Botham is a cock.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I am not getting into an argument with anyone about this as nobody will change my opinion and I won’t be changing yours :smile:

Undoubtably the greatest living British sportsman imo. Also a terrific role model. Being an F1 driver is on a different level to being a footballer or cricketer imo. You don’t run the risk of such debilitating injuries or death kicking, hitting or throwing a ball.

I would love to know how the OP has come to the conclusion that LH is an idiot. Yes he was very immature when he was younger but I have seen absolutely nothing over the last couple of years that warrants calling him an idiot :shrug:

Sorry we will have to agree to differ on this one, thank god for democracy, all of us are flawed but I think some of the things he comes out with don’t do him him any favours, and that is in the last couple of years.

One example perhaps, championing the BLM movement which is very admirable, but a little flawed when he takes money from Hugo Boss who famously made all the Nazi uniforms, there’s no doubt he could survive without the HB sponsorship, how good would it have been if he’d severed the deal as part of his protest?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
E9SacV.gif

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
one of them, but the greatest is Daley Thompson. in greatest sportsman stakes, bossing the track and field trumps piloting a state of the art motorcar.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I won't be getting into an arfgujment with you about this, as nobody will change my olpinion, and l won't be changing yours . . . but l completely disagree.

I give you Roger Federer. ,

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
One example perhaps, championing the BLM movement which is very admirable, but a little flawed when he takes money from Hugo Boss who famously made all the Nazi uniforms, there’s no doubt he could survive without the HB sponsorship, how good would it have been if he’d severed the deal as part of his protest?

Come off it, you’ll need more than that. You can trace dozens of well known companies to Nazi links including Mercedes Benz, what’s your real agenda?

And you’ve never been ticked off the by the homophobia and sexism of your man Fury?

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ism-homophobia-antisemitism-a8668091.html?amp

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not a massive F1 fan but my son is and we watched the race yesterday. As he crossed the line we both realised we were probably watching something that will never be done again in our lifetimes.

Yes he's got the best car but so has Bottas and he calmly picked off his team mate. Again. Another example. They're racing on circuits they are not familiar with, have no data on and which are cold (bad for tyres) and windy (bad full stop). A few laps from home Hamilton radioed in to say he had cramp. A footballer would have gone down and spent five minutes on the deck with a team mate stretching a leg and pointing a foot. Hamilton continued to push the pedals, steer the wheels and soak up the gforce to get round an unfamiliar circuit at eye watering speed.

Between him and Rashford for SPOTY and without doubt the Formula 1 GOAT. Comparing him to champions in other sports is silly though because they are completely different. Botham, however, isn't even as good a cricketer as Stokes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here