Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Lewis Hamilton the greatest living British sportsman?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
not read the thread as not a fan of Motor sports but have an opinion on Hamilton. He's a bell end.

In the same category as Andy Murray for me. Yeah keep winning for the flag but if it ends in tears I'm not going to care.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last time I took drugs I couldn't even find my bike, respect indeed. :lolol:

You got off lightly, [MENTION=316]Albion Dan[/MENTION] started spouting crap about astrology :lolol:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Actually Britain didn't boycott the 1980 Olympics fully, despite the government at the time wanting us to. The BOA allowed each sport to decide if they wanted to send athletes to compete or not. Rowing sent a team and won 1 silver and two bronzes. Steve Redgrave at 18 years of age would have been highly unlikely to have been considered for the team.

Rowing sent a limited team. We were world light four champions but decided not to send them to the Olympics. I know one of the rowers in the boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Rowing sent a limited team. We were world light four champions but decided not to send them to the Olympics. I know one of the rowers in the boat.

We still sent one of the biggest teams for the rowing, we had 43 competitors taking part, only East Germany, Soviet Union and Bulgaria sent bigger teams. There were no light fours at the Olympic games until 1996 (and it's been dropped again from the 2020 games) so our world championship team wasn't eligible. We did send a Men's Coxless 4s that had finished 3rd at the 1979 World Championships and they also took bronze in Moscow with the same 4 competitors.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
We still sent one of the biggest teams for the rowing, we had 43 competitors taking part, only East Germany, Soviet Union and Bulgaria sent bigger teams. There were no light fours at the Olympic games until 1996 (and it's been dropped again from the 2020 games) so our world championship team wasn't eligible. We did send a Men's Coxless 4s that had finished 3rd at the 1979 World Championships and they also took bronze in Moscow with the same 4 competitors.

I need to do a bit checking then. I was under the impression that they sent a reduced team. Well you live and learn.

saintquin

Apr 13, 2010
Don't understand the best car argument either. F1 is a team sport, best drivers join the best teams, just as in football the best players join the top teams.

People say that Hamilton wouldn't win the title in a Williams. But that's like criticising Messi for joining Fulham and not winning the Champions League.

So does that mean, just because you've haven't won lots of trophies doesn't mean you're not the best?

I've had similar arguments with a Man Und fan about Ryan Giggs. He says because he's won the most trophies therefor he must be the best footballer. My reply was he won the trophies because he was in the best team and we don't know if he would or wouldn't have won as many with a different club. A little similar with Hamilton.
What about people who have won things in different sports? You could argue they maybe the best sportsperson.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
So does that mean, just because you've haven't won lots of trophies doesn't mean you're not the best?

I've had similar arguments with a Man Und fan about Ryan Giggs. He says because he's won the most trophies therefor he must be the best footballer. My reply was he won the trophies because he was in the best team and we don't know if he would or wouldn't have won as many with a different club. A little similar with Hamilton.
What about people who have won things in different sports? You could argue they maybe the best sportsperson.

A couple of points which may have already been made. First I have no time for someone who rushes off to Monaco to avoid tax. And secondly is it not akin to giving Andy Murray a bigger racket with superior technology and then praising him for winning all the time.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A couple of points which may have already been made. First I have no time for someone who rushes off to Monaco to avoid tax. And secondly is it not akin to giving Andy Murray a bigger racket with superior technology and then praising him for winning all the time.

What about he did win with a better racket, but he also won with the same racket, and sometimes won with a worse racket than others? What about if Sir Steve Regrave didn't have 3 other world class rowers in his boat, what if to even up the field, he had an average rower in there as well? What if Chris Hoy had the same bike and kit as his competitors? What if Sir Bradly Wiggins didn't have Chris Froome to drag his arse through the Alps? What if.....oh forget it.:rolleyes:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What about he did win with a better racket, but he also won with the same racket, and sometimes won with a worse racket than others? What about if Sir Steve Regrave didn't have 3 other world class rowers in his boat, what if to even up the field, he had an average rower in there as well? What if Chris Hoy had the same bike and kit as his competitors? What if Sir Bradly Wiggins didn't have Chris Froome to drag his arse through the Alps? What if.....oh forget it.:rolleyes:

You are wasting your time

I am totally underwhelmed by cricketers but don’t feel the need to try and run them down as I am sure the best are brilliant at what they do. I’d rather take a walk on the beach with my dog than waste my time watching something I don’t enjoy. Doesn’t mean that cricketers are shit or that they are not sportsmen deserving of praise from cricket fanatics though :shrug:

I do like tennis though but don’t think Murray is on the same World level as Hamilton

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
New contact signed at Mercedes despite the ‘inside info’ from the Hamilton Out Campaign on here!

Well done Lewis! Greatest living UK sportsperson indeed!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Don't know what's in the contract obviously but there was talk the other day that it might include a commitment to a position within the team once he's finished driving. Interesting to see he's clearly got an eye on the future and wants to stay in the sport.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
New contact signed at Mercedes despite the ‘inside info’ from the Hamilton Out Campaign on here!

Well done Lewis! Greatest living UK sportsperson indeed!

Someone’s day is ruined :smile:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It makes total sense.

He wants unbeatable records

He can see some very talented and very young drivers.

He knows that he'll need a couple more drivers championships to hold Max and Charles at bay in the all time list

Merc is the car he can do that in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here