Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Bromwich Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Oh well, another season where we are looking at 3 teams below saving us.

Big Potter fan me but how long can we go on playing well and dropping points? First half only that relates to tonight. What on earth happened at half time?

But we progressed tonight, we played shite and still got a point, Potter will learn from this. 6076640_60x60.gif

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
So we were bad second half - and got much worse with Gross for Lallana. We were never scoring by the time all 3 subs were made. Have to hope our new striking options save our season - starting now!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Very disappointing result. We will almost certainly lose, probably heavily without Dunk, against Spurs. Then it's Burnley at home - fail to win that and we really will be in trouble.
If West Brom win at Fulham next Monday the table may not look pretty.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Unlike Liverpool we've been getting away with it, the posession is a distraction from how ineffective we are in the final third. All that said perhaps tonight was a useful kick up the behind for Potter and he'll make better selectuon decisions and better tactical changes. This was always going to be a struggle...we didn't get a fit PL striker, my son still bets Solly's final decision with the ball will end up going nowhere (and he's been a lifelong fan of Solly) and we all scratch our heads as to whether Gross can still live up to his past assist ratio (he can't in the current frenetic game). So none of this is a surprise. The second half tactical changes...they were and the decisions were poor.

Spot on.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Where’s the guy who put on a few quid for us to win 4-0 tonight?

Definitely his fault.
I missed the match but checked my betting account just now and it weirdly ots showing as a lost bet. I assume there's an error with their system so I've emailed them.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
I said we WILL be this season. How can you seriously complain about us not being better than last season by using the results from last season!?

I using this season do far on what I’m seeing 5 points from 6 games failing time and again to put away the teams that are in and around us . What is it 4/5 wins in 20/20 not good enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Potter will learn from this. View attachment 129800

Learn what? That it is a good idea to put teams away when you are ahead? Not to let them press you after you score? Put the ball in the net rather then pass?

I hate this 'learning' business. Logically, if all teams 'learned' from their mistakes, we would have the sporting equivalent of irresistible force meets immovable object because no-one makes a mistake.

No, the 'learning' Mr P, is that we were crap; sort it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
That was very disappointing. We were poor through out, even in the first half when we were the better side we looked flat. Second half...ooof. Thoroughly outplayed by west brom. I reckon that was the worst performance of the season. Frustrating it came against as limited a side as West Brom.

Hopefully it's out of our system now and we can get back to playing well next game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Bromwich Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

A 31 year old plodder who’s not good enough to get in the Burnley team? No you’re all right thanks. Dyche has already seen he’s not good enough.

Our centre midfield is much, much better with Bissouma and Alzate. Need to stop the White experiment though, he’s a centre back.

Last edited:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
You did well Fareham to last this many games without having a pop at Gross.

He wasn’t the reason we drew though.

Well actually yes he was a major reason why we didn’t win. Him coming on for Lallana totally turned the game in their favour. That was a terrible decision from Potter, if Lallana had to come off then it should have definitely been for Alzate. Mac Allister next best option.

He looked badly out of his depth last night as he did most of last season.

I loved Gross in his first season for us and he’s a really likeable guy so it makes me sad to see it but he hasn’t looked anywhere near good enough for a while. Whilst he does take a few decent set pieces, they’re just not often enough to overcome his shortfall in ability in open play.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Bromwich Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Well actually yes he was a major reason why we didn’t win. Him coming on for Lallana totally turned the game in their favour. That was a terrible decision from Potter, if Lallana had to come off then it should have definitely been for Alzate. Mac Allister next best option.

He looked badly out of his depth last night as he did most of last season.

I loved Gross in his first season for us and he’s a really likeable guy so it makes me sad to see it but he hasn’t looked anywhere near good enough for a while. Whilst he does take a few decent set pieces, they’re just not often enough to overcome his shortfall in ability in open play.

Gross was anything but out of his depth last season as the stats showed and his general performance. Arguably we would have gone down without his contribution.

It’s pretty harsh to blame a substitute for such an inept display, which actually was poor for 90 mins, let’s not kid ourselves about the first half that was pedestrian as well.

Lallana did play well, but I’m not sure Alzate would have made a difference, as a bit lightweight against a physically stronger midfield. Perhaps I would have played MacAllister there, I don’t know.

I actually think the sub that cost us the game was the removal of Solly, as Wet Brom could bomb forward and exploit Burn’s shortcomings,which they did. We also lost natural width.

But if you’re looking for anonymous displays try Maupay, Trossard and Bissouma.

Edit.
Re Gross his days probably are numbered, but played well in the cup, like AJ but with less plaudits..... Lower opposition? Yes, but apparently AJ is now PL ready on that basis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
That was the most disjointed, disorganised and lackadaisical performance we've put in for a while. Best summed up by Lamptey moving to a central forward position when we were trying to get a late winner. Reminded me of a school team - organisation out the window. We've got central defenders playing in midfield and at left back. Our GK doesn't save shots or come for crosses. Of course we missed Dunk, but if there's one position where we have cover, it is there.

Potter's belief that everybody can play anywhere is costing us.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
What tinted glasses? I would have liked 6pts from those three games. We got 5. Not too bad. If you think we should be beating the others you need to take off your glasses and view reality.

Palace won at old Trafford . West Brom scored 3 against Chelsea everyone else picking up points against top six we keep failing to beat bottom 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here