Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Hammersmith Odeon ,first gig / other stuff

Jul 7, 2003
As mentioned I used to go to Hammersmith Odeon a lot in the 80s. Rock and metal gigs were typically £3.5 to £5, usually had a known support and tickets were a cheque and SAE to their box office.

Service charges alone can be more than £5 a ticket these days.

I remember using Stargreen to get a lot of my tickets. No over the phone credit card payments in those days so you had to post them a cheque for payment. I was pleasantly surprised to see they are still operating out of their Argyll Street offices.

You're right about pricing - I think I paid £5 to see Iron Maiden at the Southampton Gaumont on the Powerslave tour.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think my first gig at the Hammersmith Odeon was either Magnum or Krokus, must have been around 1983.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think my first gig at the Hammersmith Odeon was either Magnum or Krokus, must have been around 1983.

My first gig ever was Magnum. Storytellers Night tour, Eastbourne Winter Gardens!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
First gig was Manfred Manns Earth Band at the Rainbow (sadly no longer standing) . First Hammersmith gig was Rush in 1979 supported by Max Webster. Saw Priest supported by a young Iron Maiden in about 79/80 also. Loads others including Ozzie, UFO, Sammy Hagar, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, Scorpions, Lynyrd Skynyrd Rush several more times.

My favourite venue by a mile.

Spooky coincidence, Sittingbourne here too and first gig Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, but mine was The Dome...

As for first Hammersmith, would have been Ultravox in ‘82.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Little Richard (I think) and the Everly Brothers plus a foot-of-the-bill Rolling Stones and a last fling appearance (we made sure of that) for the Swinging Blue Jeans. Late sixties.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

My first gig ever was Magnum. Storytellers Night tour, Eastbourne Winter Gardens!

Looks like it was February 1982, Krokus’s ‘One Vice at a Time’ tour when Magnum were the support band.

Seen many bands there since, and still really love the place, it’s as big a venue as I’d really want to go to, although these days bands play so few UK shows when touring that if you want to see them you have to go to Wembley, O2, stadiums etc.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (I think), at the Rainbow in London. I don't remember which version, just that it was VERY LOUD.

Supported by Rose Tattoo.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here