Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Hammersmith Odeon ,first gig / other stuff

boik

The Cure in, I think, 1983, who were supported by And Also The Trees (I only mention this for @HWT's interest). I went back to the Odeon a month or so later to see The Psychedelic Furs and was stood a few spaces away from Fat Bob and Mary, which pleased my 13/14yo self

Was at that Cure gig but generally preferred smaller venues. Weirdest gig I saw at the HO was the YES/Buggles mash up.

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I have two first gigs, a cool one and a not cool one. The real first one was McFly at Sussex County Cricket Ground and the first one I tell everyone is really my first gig was Them Crooked Vultures at Brixton Academy with my mum and Al Murray sat in front of me.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I’ve been to loads of gigs at the Odeon. Mostly metal but my most memorable was REM in 1987. Audience refused to leave and they did another encore with the house lights on. Probably my favourite gig ever.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
First gig. T Rex at Wembley 1972 that was recorded by Ringo Starr for a film. Watched the film, I'm not on it. Highlight of the night Emperor Rosko was DJ. WOW!!
Found a great site https://www.setlist.fm/ that lists all concerts for the Brighton Dome. Saw Elton John but not sure which year and Uriah Heap twice but again unsure when.

Jul 7, 2003
Used to love going to gigs at the Hammy O. I think my first was Motorhead 10th Birthday Party which would have been in 1985.

Saw so many different bands there in the late eighties, early nineties. Always a favourite venue of mine.

One of the strangest was an Iron Maiden charity gig in 1986 which was on a Sunday afternoon with Bad News in support - Sunday afternoons just seemed wrong for a rock gig but also, back then, nothing was open afterwards because of the old Sunday trading laws.

Last gig there was not even music although it did still have a long haired front man - Ross Noble.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
New Order on one of their good nights (brilliant when on form, absolutely dire when not). All pre-mobile phone of course, so I arranged to meet my mate at the 'nearest pub to the underground station'. Well, not only was there more than one exit from the station, but the one I came out of had around three pubs all looking the same distance away.....

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Rainbow Rising tour 1976 - Hammersmith Odeon. Teased with first bars of Smoke on the Water to wind up the audience, not the best gig I’ve ever been to.
First gig Mud? Most memorable early gig was Hawkwind with Lemmy and Stacia at Worthing. Another early gig was Desmond Decker on Bognor pier.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As mentioned I used to go to Hammersmith Odeon a lot in the 80s. Rock and metal gigs were typically £3.5 to £5, usually had a known support and tickets were a cheque and SAE to their box office.

Service charges alone can be more than £5 a ticket these days.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The Odeon late 70s .... Devo and Frank Zappa (not on the same night :smile: ) )

Can't honestly remember first live professional gig. Think it may have been Horselips ... somewhere in London ... 1975 possibly

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Cure in, I think, 1983, who were supported by And Also The Trees (I only mention this for @HWT's interest). I went back to the Odeon a month or so later to see The Psychedelic Furs and was stood a few spaces away from Fat Bob and Mary, which pleased my 13/14yo self

Ahhh. AATT. One of my faves :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
First HO gig, Thin Lizzy, supporting some dreadful American (or was it Canadian?) shite and I actually fell asleep during the latter, it was such a monotonous dirge. Lizzy were great - Gorham and Robertson at their pomp. Lynott mesmerizing.

Thin lizzy.jpg

First ever gig, Genesis at the Dome in 73, Foxtrot tour. A massive 70p to get in.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
My first Hammersmith Odeon gig was Iggy Pop, he sent everyone mad and got people to just pile onto the stage and over the security. I was upstairs.

Every time I have seen him I think perhaps he has toned down, but he never has one bit. He is one of the best live acts ever.

Saw the fantastic Post Pop Depression gig at the Albert Hall in 2016 and it was the same, I was saying to security before it went crazy, its Iggy why are you even bothering to contain the crowd. Marvelous scenes.

Attachments

• Iggy .png
    Iggy .png
    764.8 KB · Views: 48

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, there were always certain other venues on the Hammersmith circuit. Names like Bristol Colston Hall, Leicester De Montford, Wolverhampton Civic Hall, Sheffield City Hall etc are etched in my memory. I remember these from the backs of my tour t-shirts.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Not many in my 50 years of attending concerts. J J Cale, Jackson Browne twice, Tom Petty and the heartbreakers, Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Neil Young. Michael McDonald.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
First HO gig, Thin Lizzy, supporting some dreadful American (or was it Canadian?) shite and I actually fell asleep during the latter, it was such a monotonous dirge. Lizzy were great - Gorham and Robertson at their pomp. Lynott mesmerizing.

View attachment 129805

First ever gig, Genesis at the Dome in 73, Foxtrot tour. A massive 70p to get in.
Ah Robertson & Gorham, Gorham & Moore and then Lynott. If ever a band deserved to conquer the world but failed due the well documented failure to crack America and the tragic recreational habits of Phil. Live and Dangerous still probably my favourite album of all time.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
The Roundhouse 1977

Hugh Cornwell

Anyone been here before?

Is it better than the Hammersmith Odeon?

Yeah,you even get a film here,you don't get a film at the Hammersmith Odeon

You don't get a Rainbow at the Rainbow either :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here