Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Hammersmith Odeon ,first gig / other stuff

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
Judas Priest, Stained Class tour before they turned into a cliche (they are forgiven ).Missed out on Van Halen supporting Sabbath in 78. Went to the gig but was cancelled. I am in the front row for the rescheduled show available on you tube. Phil Mogg gave me his Rum and coke when I was singing along at a U F O gig.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hunter/Ronson in 1974 or 5, Dr Feelgood, The Tubes; first UK gig, Ryuichi Sakamoto. I'm sure there must be others, but these are the ones I remember.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First gig at Hammersmith?

Like you, I was into rock and metal and throughout my youth, mid 80s, I was at this venue seemingly every other week. It’s no lie to say I saw the vast majority of the rock/metal acts going at this time but not all at Hammersmith. Hammersmith gigs which come immediately to mind are Ozzy, Metallica, Maiden, Priest, Crüe, Bon Jovi, Anthrax, Marillion, Megadeth, Twisted Sister, Dio.

Music is still a passion, and I still clock up 30-ish gigs a year, last time at Hammersmith was a White Stripes gig about 10 or so years ago.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
One and only time mid to late 70s - Jackson Browne. Have to say I thought it was a massive, impersonal and shit venue :shrug:

Not a fan of the O2 or any biggish venue other than The Royal Albert Hall. The Dome is my favourite venue by a country mile though.

I am not a serial concert goer these days so accept I could have missed many great newer venues

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Brendan Coker and the 9 o'clock shadow (it was really Dire Straits warming up for Wembley). John Illsley's wife had given birth that morning so Eric Clapton deputised for him. Some concert that was! 1986

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Buzzcocks supported by Joy Division 1979 , Birmingham Odeon.
14 years old and felt sick due to the sound Joy Division made. I was hooked ever since.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Level 42 Nov 1985
Mesmerised by Mark King on his bass guitar.

Peabo Bryson, Chapter 8 and Lavine Hudson July 1989.
Won tickets on Reading Radio 210 for this Soul gig.

Last edited:

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Brought up in Shepherds Bush my mates & I used to bunk into The Odeon all the time. It was sometimes pretty hairy having to go the long way to avoid security, having to climb up drainpipes and get in via the roof!!! Once in through the maze of corridors we'd come out next to the stage and dart into the crowds before anyone could ask 'what are you doing here?'

I saw The Ramones, The Jam, Trouble Funk are just some that spring to mind. We used to bunk in walk around & leave again if we weren't into what was on stage.

Growing up eh!

blueandwhitestripes

Mar 18, 2008
Sussex
AC/DC Nov 1979. A fantastic set list and I was a very excited 15 year old :rock:

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
First gig was Manfred Manns Earth Band at the Rainbow (sadly no longer standing) . First Hammersmith gig was Rush in 1979 supported by Max Webster. Saw Priest supported by a young Iron Maiden in about 79/80 also. Loads others including Ozzie, UFO, Sammy Hagar, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, Scorpions, Lynyrd Skynyrd Rush several more times.

My favourite venue by a mile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here