Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] MPs who abstain

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, we know it's really complicated and you have to take lots of views into consideration. That's why we pay you and ensure you can concentrate on the important decisions by ensuring you are fed, watered, given you second homes. and pay for your overnight stays to make sure you don't have to travel long distances and that you are at your very, very best when you arrive at parliament.

So please have the balls to vote. It's not a lot to ask you to do the primary job you are elected for, is it ?

If you're incapable of actually voting for what you believe in (which, let's face it, is the single most crucial part of your job), maybe give someone else a chance :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Couldn't agree more. An abstain is about as much use as a w@nkstain. It shouldn't even be an option IMO. This isn't Britains Got frigging Talent.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Agree. Show some conviction and argue your case to your constituents if you have to.

I can't think of any good reason to abstain, in the same way that I can't think if a good reason why I personally shouldn't vote.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
that piece of shit Tim Loughton abstained and then tried to act all high and mighty because he "didn't vote with the government"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
that piece of shit Tim Loughton abstained and then tried to act all high and mighty because he "didn't vote with the government"

I noticed his name was missing from the list of votes on They Work For You the day after the vote. I know he is one of the ERG loons AND actually campaigned for Loathesome Leadsom to be party leader post Cameron and has been my MP for some time. However, I think this is the first time he has ever shown a rudimentary backbone in his life.

To vote against a Tory Whip is almost unthinkable to a Tory MP , its Labour and the Lib Dems that tend to allow a degree of latitude and allow members to vote with their conscience, so this simple act of abstaining was quite some achievement for his conscience... I don't expect this to happen again though.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
At a really basic level, surely "neither yes or no" is a sensible position in some cases. Eg if you do you have enough information to form a judgement, or your constituents have very finely balanced views on the matter and a yes or no wouldn't reflect them properly.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yes, we know it's really complicated and you have to take lots of views into consideration. That's why we pay you and ensure you can concentrate on the important decisions by ensuring you are fed, watered, given you second homes. and pay for your overnight stays to make sure you don't have to travel long distances and that you are at your very, very best when you arrive at parliament.

So please have the balls to vote. It's not a lot to ask you to do the primary job you are elected for, is it ?

If you're incapable of actually voting for what you believe in (which, let's face it, is the single most crucial part of your job), maybe give someone else a chance :shrug:

Let’s hope some MP’s read these wise words eh[emoji6]

Because I know that you weren’t telling us all of this for us non MP’s. [emoji6]

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
The piece of Sh!t that is my MP, John Redwood voted against. I did check before I sent him an email for his reasoning, though I needn’t of bothered I knew which way he would vote, vile man.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i sort of get that MPs might abstain on issues for individual reasons (or simply absence), but when the party whip is to abstain, that questions why they are there.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I noticed his name was missing from the list of votes on They Work For You the day after the vote. I know he is one of the ERG loons AND actually campaigned for Loathesome Leadsom to be party leader post Cameron and has been my MP for some time. However, I think this is the first time he has ever shown a rudimentary backbone in his life.

To vote against a Tory Whip is almost unthinkable to a Tory MP , its Labour and the Lib Dems that tend to allow a degree of latitude and allow members to vote with their conscience, so this simple act of abstaining was quite some achievement for his conscience... I don't expect this to happen again though.

He didn't vote against it. He knew the Tory majority meant they'd win the vote, and he abstained so he had a ready made excuse for when the inevitable fallout happened without rocking the boat too much.

As loathsome as someone like Ben Bradley is, at least they had the bollocks to pin his colours to the mask and take the flak for it. He's said some frankly ridiculous things since the vote but I still have more respect for him than Tim the **** who hoped abstaining would give him a free pass. The fact he had the gall to try and take the highground just sums the snake up.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He didn't vote against it. He knew the Tory majority meant they'd win the vote, and he abstained so he had a ready made excuse for when the inevitable fallout happened without rocking the boat too much.

As loathsome as someone like Ben Bradley is, at least they had the bollocks to pin his colours to the mask and take the flak for it. He's said some frankly ridiculous things since the vote but I still have more respect for him than Tim the **** who hoped abstaining would give him a free pass. The fact he had the gall to try and take the highground just sums the snake up.

I think that usually there is a higher calling for most Tories, even Theresa May who has been giving the brexiteers in her party pelters recently still voted with the party on the FSM's extension. Loughton actually served briefly as Children's Minister a while back, maybe, just maybe, something rubbed off.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
i sort of get that MPs might abstain on issues for individual reasons (or simply absence), but when the party whip is to abstain, that questions why they are there.

It can be because of a match ie another MP in the Opposition who is ill, or on maternity leave etc.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I think that usually there is a higher calling for most Tories, even Theresa May who has been giving the brexiteers in her party pelters recently still voted with the party on the FSM's extension. Loughton actually served briefly as Children's Minister a while back, maybe, just maybe, something rubbed off.

Loughton knows he's going nowhere as a politician. Described by his own civil servants as " a lazy, incompetent narcissist interested only in self promotion" when he was sacked from his only job of consequence. He was loathed by Cameron and Osborne, when they could be bothered to think of him at all. Even his own party leave the chamber when he stands to speak. His only future is to hang on as a jobbing MP and gather what perks he can. To do that he needs to keep winning East Worthing and Shoreham, where the demographic has changed a lot in recent years, hence this sort of thing and a load of nonsense around the WASPI women. He can afford a few minor rock the boat moments as he's going nowhere in the Party and they might play well with his constituents. He is an ERG member, not exactly the cuddly, soft wing of the Party.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Loughton knows he's going nowhere as a politician. Described by his own civil servants as " a lazy, incompetent narcissist interested only in self promotion" when he was sacked from his only job of consequence. He was loathed by Cameron and Osborne, when they could be bothered to think of him at all. Even his own party leave the chamber when he stands to speak. His only future is to hang on as a jobbing MP and gather what perks he can. To do that he needs to keep winning East Worthing and Shoreham, where the demographic has changed a lot in recent years, hence this sort of thing and a load of nonsense around the WASPI women. He can afford a few minor rock the boat moments as he's going nowhere in the Party and they might play well with his constituents. He is an ERG member, not exactly the cuddly, soft wing of the Party.

He will be fine for a few directorships once he quits, despite his support for Leadsom as a potential Tory leader his ERG credentials will see him enjoy a far more comfortable retirement than many of his constituents.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here