Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] AO - Lets Go

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We tend not to overuse the drier function, clothes out on the line as nature intended most of the time or over clothes horses in the spare room in winter. Still fighting desperately against Mrs V's wishes to install a dishwasher as I find washing up while listening to footy/cricket on the radio very therapeutic. Plus arguments about doing the washing up then shift to who has the chore of loading/unloading or who forgot to start it before leaving for work.

Bloody hell, a man after my own heart. I refuse to entertain a dishwasher for exactly the same reason - I'm perfectly happy clearing up the kitchen if I have the radio on. Its a chore, but not an overly dull one if I get a bit of peace and can listen to the radio in the background. I'll sometimes hang back if there's something interesting on, pour a glass of red, lean back and admire my spotless kitchen. The difference being, when I cook, I tend to wash/clear up as I go along, so by the end there's only a few plates, knives and forks to wash, and all the tops are spotlessly clear. When SHE cooks, she just leaves everything all over the place to the point where it actually looks like we've been burgled. Pots and pans all over the shop, gravy dripping off the ceiling, squashed peas on the floor, a chicken carcass hanging off the mug tree etc.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Bloody hell, a man after my own heart. I refuse to entertain a dishwasher for exactly the same reason - I'm perfectly happy clearing up the kitchen if I have the radio on. Its a chore, but not an overly dull one if I get a bit of peace and can listen to the radio in the background. I'll sometimes hang back if there's something interesting on, pour a glass of red, lean back and admire my spotless kitchen. The difference being, when I cook, I tend to wash/clear up as I go along, so by the end there's only a few plates, knives and forks to wash, and all the tops are spotlessly clear. When SHE cooks, she just leaves everything all over the place to the point where it actually looks like we've been burgled. Pots and pans all over the shop, gravy dripping off the ceiling, squashed peas on the floor, a chicken carcass hanging off the mug tree etc.

But I bet she's sweet and lovely to put up with you :wink:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Indeed ! Strangely, Mrs V likes to cook but also likes to use as many pots and pans and utensils as possible, I have often come home to a trashed kitchen with Mrs V up to her elbow stirring a 10 litre cauldron of Mango Chicken Curry.

thedeadone

Jan 17, 2005
West Sussex
I know nothing about these things but have been told Bosch, Miele, Neff, Siemens are good, Indesit, Hotpoint, Whirlpool are not.

From someone who negotiates white goods extended warranties apparently :shrug:

Your Contact is correct!

Ive had over 20 years selling these Makes and its spot on.

Also NEVER buy an Extended Warranty as loads faults and Problems are not covered THEY ARE A CON.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Indeed ! Strangely, Mrs V likes to cook but also likes to use as many pots and pans and utensils as possible, I have often come home to a trashed kitchen with Mrs V up to her elbow stirring a 10 litre cauldron of Mango Chicken Curry.

My missus can do that making a cheese toastie.

"Why have you used EVERY kitchen utensil just to make that ?"
"I just needed them"
"Really....even the LAWNMOWER ?"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I know nothing about these things but have been told Bosch, Miele, Neff, Siemens are good, Indesit, Hotpoint, Whirlpool are not.

From someone who negotiates white goods extended warranties apparently :shrug:

Without trying to actively steer this thread in a different direction, am I right in saying that the EU's next consumer crusade is to make as many appliances as possible owner serviceable in the near future in order to improve sustainability ? ... if so those first four firms are where we should be buying from, if we can still afford them in 3 months time !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're not wrong, its more than I wanted to pay. Especially as you can get the same machine for £80 cheaper, the only difference being it hasn't got the "door within a door" flap that lets you open it up and toss a loose sock in halfway through a wash (like it'd be a DISASTER if some forgotten garment had to wait till - gulp - the NEXT WASH). :rolleyes:

However, she won me round by correctly pointing out that we could buy a cheaper make / machine for £300-odd, but it wouldn't come with the extended 5 year guarantee that this one does, so you'd just end up spending £100-£150 extra on that anyway. Or maybe she's mugged me off, I dunno. I have little patience when it comes to buying things I do not understand how to use.

BTW - does anyone actually buy washer-driers any more these days ? We learned our lesson with one of those. Constant breakdown waiting to happen.

I bought a new washing machine recently and checked the Which results. Two different models of Bosch were in the top 10. We bought it for £399, and it does have the door within a door. It had a two year guarantee, and we paid £80 for the three year extension but with Bosch themselves.
Many reviews say they last 12-15 years on a regular basis.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
TV's is one of the things I never bother with extended warranties on any more, because they NEVER seem to go wrong these days. I've had the same Panasonic LED for 7-8 years now with not a moments trouble (I'm actually waiting for it to go wrong, as I want to go from 43" to 55" but can't really justify it till it claps out). My local has 2 huge Phillips plasmas up on the walls for what must be well over 10 years, which (prior to lockdown) were on constantly from opening to closing time day in, day out. Still going strong.

You must've been incredibly unlucky to have had so many faulty TV's. They seem indestructible these days.

It was incredibly bad luck. They were all relatively cheap and seemed to share the same software so probably all mass produced in the same factory and then rebranded on the way out.
I finally bit the bullet last year and bought a 65" 4k LG and it's amazing, never had any issues with anything LG. I'm building quite a tasty little set up and with my PS5 coming in a few weeks, I'll get a bit more use out of the 4k.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
AO are excellent in my experience - almost always the cheapest, with quick, efficient delivery and installation if requested. I had an installation issue with the last thing I ordered from them, that was also sorted out extremely efficiently. Brilliant customer service.

Currys - shite.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I bought a new washing machine recently and checked the Which results. Two different models of Bosch were in the top 10. We bought it for £399, and it does have the door within a door. It had a two year guarantee, and we paid £80 for the three year extension but with Bosch themselves.
Many reviews say they last 12-15 years on a regular basis.

So pricewise, including the warranty, much of a muchness with the Samsung I've just shelled out on. This one also has excellent reviews re reliability, noise and vibration etc. Bosch is one of those makes I'd have no issue spending a few bob on, they seem a good make.

We've got a Samsung fridge-freezer which is about 6 years old, again no issues so far. And I do love a BLACK kitchen appliance.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Used them for a few things when we bought our new house a couple of years ago.

The Mrs is a wfh reflexologist so we had a ‘studio’ built in the garden for her clients - don’t have to come through the house etc - and I WISLEY insisted we plumb the washing machine and tumble drier in out there.

Keeps the noise out the house and freed up space in the kitchen for more useable items like a big American fridge and wine cooler.

Anyway, AO turned up to deliver both items and expected a full on row as they’d have to deliver into the garden and not the house. Expected the usual JOBSWORTH rationale about H&S etc but no, straight into garden, into outbuilding and they even helped plumb them in when I hadn’t paid for installation.

Oh and both appliances, Bosch, were £50-80 cheaper with them.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Your Contact is correct!

Ive had over 20 years selling these Makes and its spot on.

Also NEVER buy an Extended Warranty as loads faults and Problems are not covered THEY ARE A CON.

My washing machine has been playing up. It's probably 15 years old now so its done its service. Given its a bank holiday this weekend seems as good as any to replace.

Anyone got any thoughts on Haier, Samsung or LG as washing machine manufacturers?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’ve got an AEG going free in Hove. 8 years old works fine.
640BDC44-C424-4BF0-9DDB-4075ADC43761.jpeg

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
My washing machine has been playing up. It's probably 15 years old now so its done its service. Given its a bank holiday this weekend seems as good as any to replace.

Anyone got any thoughts on Haier, Samsung or LG as washing machine manufacturers?

'Which' magazine rate Samsung as good (as an overall brand)- no ratings given for LG or Haier as a brand. They probably have reviewed specific machines from LG, I've never heard of Haier.

If only we had a person who fixes these kind of things for a living on NSC?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here