Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] AO - Lets Go

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The washing machine packed up this week, so the doris has been in my ear to source a new one. Found a Samsung on the Currys PC World website for £500 that she liked, earliest free delivery on Friday. I was on the brink of ordering (because I'm lazy), but then went to AO.com, after being earwormed by the frigging thing on radio ads for months, and found exactly the same model for £50 cheaper, and free delivery on Wednesday. Crushingly dull thread I know, but I'm just passing on the info in case anyone else is in the market for summink. Was mildly surprised at the price disparity for the same thing. I'm not on commission either, before anyone asks.

Been a good week for making/saving money. Super.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I can second the recommendation of AO. My tumble dryer gave up the ghost not long after lockdown and managed to a new one from them cheaper and quicker than from any of the usual suspects. Got a few quid back from Quidco too for using their affiliate links.

D

Deleted member 2719

I am sure Martin Lewis is shaking in his boots.

And so he should be.

That guy hasn't saved me anything for years,.

The market is all Easy 10's, I reckon.

But can he perform reviews also???

And can the missus climax after a short spin on a cold cycle?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
My washing machine, cooker, fridge/freezer, stepdaughters TV and front room TV all came from AO. Usually pretty good on price and delivery.
Although, I had huge issues with a number of TVs from them a few years back. I had 6 faulty sets one after another, all various faults, all different brands. They eventually upgraded the TV for free and gave me a partial refund to apologise. Their customer service is actually quite helpful which seems to be a rarity these days.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My washing machine, cooker, fridge/freezer, stepdaughters TV and front room TV all came from AO. Usually pretty good on price and delivery.
Although, I had huge issues with a number of TVs from them a few years back. I had 6 faulty sets one after another, all various faults, all different brands. They eventually upgraded the TV for free and gave me a partial refund to apologise. Their customer service is actually quite helpful which seems to be a rarity these days.

TV's is one of the things I never bother with extended warranties on any more, because they NEVER seem to go wrong these days. I've had the same Panasonic LED for 7-8 years now with not a moments trouble (I'm actually waiting for it to go wrong, as I want to go from 43" to 55" but can't really justify it till it claps out). My local has 2 huge Phillips plasmas up on the walls for what must be well over 10 years, which (prior to lockdown) were on constantly from opening to closing time day in, day out. Still going strong.

You must've been incredibly unlucky to have had so many faulty TV's. They seem indestructible these days.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Dont buy anything from Curry's / PC World. The buying process is fine, but as soon as anthing goes wrong they are awful. They have created an abysmal subsidiary called 'Team Knowhow' to deal with deliveries and returns, deliberately distancing it from the Curry's name. If you have a fault they give you the run-around until you basically give up. You will die of old age before you see your money again.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If this thread doesn’t go GOLD I will be most surprised.

Did you know that of the top ten threads on NSC............... 3 involve ‘washing machine’ in the title...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The washing machine packed up this week, so the doris has been in my ear to source a new one. Found a Samsung on the Currys PC World website for £500 that she liked, earliest free delivery on Friday. I was on the brink of ordering (because I'm lazy), but then went to AO.com, after being earwormed by the frigging thing on radio ads for months, and found exactly the same model for £50 cheaper, and free delivery on Wednesday. Crushingly dull thread I know, but I'm just passing on the info in case anyone else is in the market for summink. Was mildly surprised at the price disparity for the same thing. I'm not on commission either, before anyone asks.

Sounds pricey to me ? I'll wait til the times right and spaff my Green Shield stamps on one.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sounds pricey to me ? I'll wait til the times right and spaff my Green Shield stamps on one.

You're not wrong, its more than I wanted to pay. Especially as you can get the same machine for £80 cheaper, the only difference being it hasn't got the "door within a door" flap that lets you open it up and toss a loose sock in halfway through a wash (like it'd be a DISASTER if some forgotten garment had to wait till - gulp - the NEXT WASH). :rolleyes:

However, she won me round by correctly pointing out that we could buy a cheaper make / machine for £300-odd, but it wouldn't come with the extended 5 year guarantee that this one does, so you'd just end up spending £100-£150 extra on that anyway. Or maybe she's mugged me off, I dunno. I have little patience when it comes to buying things I do not understand how to use.

BTW - does anyone actually buy washer-driers any more these days ? We learned our lesson with one of those. Constant breakdown waiting to happen.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You're not wrong, its more than I wanted to pay. Especially as you can get the same machine for £80 cheaper, the only difference being it hasn't got the "door within a door" flap that lets you open it up and toss a loose sock in halfway through a wash (like it'd be a DISASTER if some forgotten garment had to wait till - gulp - the NEXT WASH). :rolleyes:

However, she won me round by correctly pointing out that we could buy a cheaper make / machine for £300-odd, but it wouldn't come with the extended 5 year guarantee that this one does, so you'd just end up spending £100-£150 extra on that anyway. Or maybe she's mugged me off, I dunno. I have little patience when it comes to buying things I do not understand how to use.

BTW - does anyone actually buy washer-driers any more these days ? We learned our lesson with one of those. Constant breakdown waiting to happen.

I have a Washer/Drier and until up to typing this sentence, it's worked very well.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have a Washer/Drier and until up to typing this sentence, it's worked very well.

Fair play then, long may that continue. With our family it was in heavy daily use and it wasn't long before it regularly started shitting us about - which in hindsight I figured probably stood to reason, as it was doing 2 jobs and therefore working twice as hard. Separate tumble drier for us now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I know nothing about these things but have been told Bosch, Miele, Neff, Siemens are good, Indesit, Hotpoint, Whirlpool are not.

From someone who negotiates white goods extended warranties apparently :shrug:

phazza

Aug 17, 2012

Funny that. I’ve literally just had the same situation. We got ours delivered today from AO!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Barely a week goes by without a Whirlpool product recall. I wouldn't touch them with a shitty stick.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fair play then, long may that continue. With our family it was in heavy daily use and it wasn't long before it regularly started shitting us about - which in hindsight I figured probably stood to reason, as it was doing 2 jobs and therefore working twice as hard. Separate tumble drier for us now.

We tend not to overuse the drier function, clothes out on the line as nature intended most of the time or over clothes horses in the spare room in winter. Still fighting desperately against Mrs V's wishes to install a dishwasher as I find washing up while listening to footy/cricket on the radio very therapeutic. Plus arguments about doing the washing up then shift to who has the chore of loading/unloading or who forgot to start it before leaving for work.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Funny that. I’ve literally just had the same situation. We got ours delivered today from AO!!

Assuming all goes well with our order, I'm sold on them so far! I guess they're cheaper because they have less overheads for stores, staff etc.

Yes, I am aware I am contributing to our High Street dying on its arse. But Currys proper f*cked me over on a TV warranty claim on a CRT set some time ago, so this is PAYBACK.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
We tend not to overuse the drier function, clothes out on the line as nature intended most of the time or over clothes horses in the spare room in winter. Still fighting desperately against Mrs V's wishes to install a dishwasher as I find washing up while listening to footy/cricket on the radio very therapeutic. Plus arguments about doing the washing up then shift to who has the chore of loading/unloading or who forgot to start it before leaving for work.

We must be the only ones amongst all our friends who don't have a dishwasher. Never seen the need for one as only two of us like most of them, I've got two hands and if takes minutes. Must take 2 - 3 days to get a full load

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here