Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] VW/ Audi emmisions claims

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I have an Audi Q5 and am being pestered by Milberg, no win, no fee law firm attempting to win compensation for owners becuse of the Diesel emmissions scandle.
Anybody else signed up for this?
Just a bit nervous in case they lose the case, and the terms and small print seem to insinuate that Volkswagons expenses might come back on the claiments.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I have an Audi Q5 and am being pestered by Milberg, no win, no fee law firm attempting to win compensation for owners becuse of the Diesel emmissions scandle.
Just a bit nervous in case they lose the case, and the terms and small print seem to insinuate that Volkswagons expenses might come back on the claiments.

Got an email about 40mins about that too.

I’m still not sure whether I should.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Out of interest, how has this scandal caused you damage?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I got into a conversation with one of these ambulance chasers over this: the idea is that you sold it for lower than you 'wanted' or paid for extra servicing, or had the "fix" applied and that affected your car in some way.

My car I've kept, not sold, not had the fix applied and as far as I could see did not apply in any of the ways. But maybe there is money to be add by aligning yourself to one of these, though I doubt it will be very much.

I suspect that there will be people making up stories in order to try and get a bigger slice of the pie they imagine arriving.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Not saying that it has yet because I still have the car.
But it could affect the resale value, compared to the price I paid for the car, which was sold to me with false emission values, so the sale price was inflated.

I suppose it wouldn't happen in Germany ......oh

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Had the fix done on my Tiguan some time ago. If I get wind of anyone getting compensation I’ll get on to Caffyns and get t(em to chase it as they sold it to me on the basis that emissions were OK.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Not saying that it has yet because I still have the car.
But it could affect the resale value, compared to the price I paid for the car, which was sold to me with false emission values, so the sale price was inflated.

I suppose it wouldn't happen in Germany ......oh

I wouldn't have thought that the emissions on a Q5 would effect the value as much as the aesthetics do :wink:

*edit* At least it isn't as ugly as a Q7

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

The financial expense may hit you sooner from the solicitors. My Dad was persuaded by a huge firm of solicitors to join a group action on a no win-no fee basis against the US med giant Johnson & Johnson. Regarding hip ops that had to repeated across the world, due to a faulty part.

Not crooks, but every now and then the solicitors would insist on receiving not insignificant payments “towards costs”.

This group action went on for many years and failed. So money down the drain.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
The financial expense may hit you sooner from the solicitors. My Dad was persuaded by a huge firm of solicitors to join a group action on a no win-no fee basis against the US med giant Johnson & Johnson. Regarding hip ops that had to repeated across the world, due to a faulty part.

Not crooks, but every now and then the solicitors would insist on receiving not insignificant payments “towards costs”.

This group action went on for many years and failed. So money down the drain.

Thanks for this.
I haven't signed up for it yet, I enquired because I purchased and Audi and so I qualified, but after reading their terms, I was dubious.
They keep sending me e-mails asking me to sign up to the group action.
Just wondered if any other NSC'ers were in on it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks for this.
I haven't signed up for it yet, I enquired because I purchased and Audi and so I qualified, but after reading their terms, I was dubious.
They keep sending me e-mails asking me to sign up to the group action.
Just wondered if any other NSC'ers were in on it.

Advice here from the trusted MSE. Two years old, but worth a read.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2018/10/was-your-car-affected-by-the-vw-emissions-scandal--you-ve-less-t/

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Out of interest, have VW admitted to why they lied and cheated to the 100,000's possibly millions of their customers who purchased their "Cean Diesel vehicles? In the age of environmental awareness many, many people would have bought into those claims. Deliberately and fraudulently, the cars were fitted with illegal emission defeat devices designed to mask high emissions during government tests.

So, effectively anyone who purchased one of those vehicles on that basis of VW/Audi's claim and that they would retain a high resale value because of low emissions were indeed caused financial damage.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
So, effectively anyone who purchased one of those vehicles on that basis of VW/Audi's claim and that they would retain a high resale value because of low emissions were indeed caused financial damage.

Not only that, there are reports that the VW ‘fix’ on the software with the issues has led to up to 25% drops in fuel economy. That’s about £300 a year if you spend £100 a month on diesel.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest, have VW admitted to why they lied and cheated to the 100,000's possibly millions of their customers who purchased their "Cean Diesel vehicles? In the age of environmental awareness many, many people would have bought into those claims. Deliberately and fraudulently, the cars were fitted with illegal emission defeat devices designed to mask high emissions during government tests.

My question was more about the compensatory angle of the post. I obviously am aware of what happened, but wasn’t sure what specific damage, financial I guess, had occurred. I have only owned a car for a short period of my life, 3 years, and it lost thousands by itself in those three years. Incidentally it was a VW. I imagine there’s variation, but can any car really claim to hold a high, and significant, resale value? Significant being the key word here.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
My question was more about the compensatory angle of the post. I obviously am aware of what happened, but wasn’t sure what specific damage, financial I guess, had occurred. I have only owned a car for a short period of my life, 3 years, and it lost thousands by itself in those three years. Incidentally it was a VW. I imagine there’s variation, but can any car really claim to hold a high, and significant, resale value? Significant being the key word here.

In the US, VW ran an ad campaign for several years. The Federal Trade Commission claimed that the ads were based on false claims including that the vehicles were low-emission, environmentally friendly, met emissions standards, and would maintain a high resale value. The fact that the US case cost VW approx $9.5 Billion suggests that VW did indeed set out to deceive customers. VW got no more that they deserved and if it stops this scale of corporate deception going on in the future then I'm all for it.

Personally I would also like to see those who were directly involved do some prison time.

Last edited:

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
In the US, VW ran an ad campaign for several years. The Federal Trade Commission claimed that the ads were based on false claims including that the vehicles were low-emission, environmentally friendly, met emissions standards, and would maintain a high resale value. The fact that the US case cost VW approx $9.5 Billion suggests that VW did indeed set out to deceive customers. VW got no more that they deserved and if it stops this scale of corporate deception going on in the future then I'm all for it.Personally I would also like to see those who were directly involved do some prison time.

Edit.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
key thing on this issue, is emission standards were not breached in EU. they manipulated for US market but the standards were not applicable here. so the scope for compensation is far less. I dont believe second hand values here have been materially affected, performance change is negligable as the fix was for stationary, test conditions, not on road. so the case is not so clear cut.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
i've taken the attitude of wait and see, if VW loose then all the owners should be contacted or be given an opportunity to claim, somewhat similar to PPI. So if someone bought a car after the scandal broke then compensation will be lower, I bought a SEAT in 2010 and still have it, yes the software update affected MPG, Like a few have mentioned i have resisted joining a claim as many of the firms want you to take out a fairly expensive insurance policy or state in very small print you could be liable for expenses if the case is lost. Having had my car for 10 years i'd gladly accept some compensation as when i bought from a main dealer part of the sales pitch was on the fuel efficiency and emissions, but if i don't get anything well i've had good use (over 125000 miles) out of a well built car with a damn good engine that happened to have dodgy software attached.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here