Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Question for stamp duty tax experts

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I bought Property A in 2013.
In Oct 2018, I moved into a rented property, I’ll call it Property B.
I’ve let out Property A, but it remains my main residence for stamp duty purposes.
I’m still living in Property B but am now looking to buy another place, Property C.
If I buy Property C, during the stamp duty holiday, I’m expecting to pay the 3% stamp duty surcharge.
As I understand stand it, I will be able to apply for a refund for the surcharge if I sell Property A within three years of purchase of Property C (the three year rule).
But here’s the nub. I have read that I also would have had to have lived in Property A at some point within the previous three years.
I’m asking, as I’ve had an offer from my tenants to sell Property A. It’s not a great one but it maybe my best chance to sell before Oct 2021, when it will have been three years since I last lived in Property A.
If I don’t Have to sell before Oct 2021 to get the stamp duty refund, I’d rather wait to sell at some point during the three years after purchase of Property C.
Some online tax advisers say it’s a condition that you have to have lived in Property A at some point within the three years. But I can’t find anything about that on gov.uk.
I’ve even filled out the refund form, and can’t see a reference to having to have lived in previous main residence in last three years.
But various tax advisers wouldn’t have just made it up....maybe the rules have been changed recently?
Don’t suppose anyone can help?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I think what you're seeing from the online advisers may relate to capital gains tax, which is a separate consideration for you.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I’ve let out Property A, but it remains my main residence for stamp duty purposes.
I’m still living in Property B but am now looking to buy another place, Property C.
If I buy Property C, during the stamp duty holiday, I’m expecting to pay the 3% stamp duty surcharge.
As I understand stand it, I will be able to apply for a refund for the surcharge if I sell Property A within three years of purchase of Property C (the three year rule).
But here’s the nub. I have read that I also would have had to have lived in Property A at some point within the previous three years.
I’m asking, as I’ve had an offer from my tenants to sell Property A. It’s not a great one but it maybe my best chance to sell before Oct 2021, when it will have been three years since I last lived in Property A.
If I don’t Have to sell before Oct 2021 to get the stamp duty refund, I’d rather wait to sell at some point during the three years after purchase of Property C.

There’s a calculation online on the gov website that will tell you exactly what’s due in tax if you fill all the figures in , you don’t need to pay a financial advisor to find out .

Many things financial advisers will tell you follow a standard good practice guideline and you can find them all out with a little bit of research online . Unless you’re the type of person that has very complicated accounts with property abroad and income coming from offshore accounts etc you really don’t need to pay what is in effect a middleman to tell you what you can find out for free.

Also if you don’t think the tenants offer is good , why not find a good local independent estate agent and put the property on the market . The market is quite strong at the moment and you may be surprised with what you can sell at . Tenants usually want a cheap deal .

Hope this helps

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

There’s a calculation online on the gov website that will tell you exactly what’s due in tax if you fill all the figures in , you don’t need to pay a financial advisor to find out .

Many things financial advisers will tell you follow a standard good practice guideline and you can find them all out with a little bit of research online . Unless you’re the type of person that has very complicated accounts with property abroad and income coming from offshore accounts etc you really don’t need to pay what is in effect a middleman to tell you what you can find out for free.

Also if you don’t think the tenants offer is good , why not find a good local independent estate agent and put the property on the market . The market is quite strong at the moment and you may be surprised with what you can sell at . Tenants usually want a cheap deal .

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I think what you're seeing from the online advisers may relate to capital gains tax, which is a separate consideration for you.

This. You are liable for CGT on the portion of time that you have let it, sounds like most. You can't claim for full private residence relief unless you have lived in the property for the entire period - see https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home. Indeed, if you have not lived in at all, you cannot claim for any, otherwise it is time apportioned. It is irrelevant that you live in rented.

Good news is that there is £12,000 pa allowance before CGT bites, plus you can add all costs of acquisition (including stamp duty & legals) and improvements to the cost of the house, and deduct costs of sale (agents fees, legals) from proceeds.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
This. You are liable for CGT on the portion of time that you have let it, sounds like most. You can't claim for full private residence relief unless you have lived in the property for the entire period - see https://www.gov.uk/tax-sell-home. Indeed, if you have not lived in at all, you cannot claim for any, otherwise it is time apportioned. It is irrelevant that you live in rented.

Good news is that there is £12,000 pa allowance before CGT bites, plus you can add all costs of acquisition (including stamp duty & legals) and improvements to the cost of the house, and deduct costs of sale (agents fees, legals) from proceeds.

That’s good info , although I wasn’t getting confused In that stamp duty Liability is different .
As it happens I don’t think Cgt will amount to much if I sold now as I lived there most of the time and it had isn’t gone up loads in value

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Don't try paying for it in actual stamps - they get very grumpy. How was I supposed to know? Took the cashier ages to count them out as well.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Do you trust your wife?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
One piece of Advice on dealing with the Lawyers and Potential Mortgage Lenders in relation to SDLT.

Half of them don't know what the f#ck the are talking about.

They all urge on the side of caution in terms of rates they think are chargeable and what reliefs are due.

They wanted to charge a certain rate of SDLT on an unmortgaged property being transferred between a married couple and the rate they advised was wrong.

When the couple checked with me and I contacted the Lawyer. The woman called me up and suggested I was wrong. Even when I sent her the Legislation supporting my amended calculation she still tried to hide behind the " Disclaimer" that Solicitors always throw in stating that they are not Stamp Duty Experts and that clients should seek independent advice.

Then when clients do seek expert advice contradicting the solicitor they are still reluctant to follow that. They are just so scared of HMRC and being sued by clients that the often don't apply the reliefs that individuals are duly entitled to.

In short. If a Solicitor contradicts your belief that you are entitled to certain SDLT reliefs. Do not hesitate to contradict those "assertions"

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Some online tax advisers say it’s a condition that you have to have lived in Property A at some point within the three years. But I can’t find anything about that on gov.uk.
I’ve even filled out the refund form, and can’t see a reference to having to have lived in previous main residence in last three years.
But various tax advisers wouldn’t have just made it up....maybe the rules have been changed recently?
Don’t suppose anyone can help?

So you’ll own 3 properties right?

Why not just cough up the due tax and be thankful you have 3 properties when most 20-30 year olds might be lucky one day and own one?

I say this with no malice [emoji106]

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
So you’ll own 3 properties right?

Why not just cough up the due tax and be thankful you have 3 properties when most 20-30 year olds might be lucky one day and own one?

I say this with no malice [emoji106]

Lol. How did you work that out ?
To save you wading through my initial post, I currently own one. I will end up with one.
I don’t think you’ll find many people who would Volunteer to pay stamp duty If they didn’t have to.
Personally, I’d rather Invest that money in booze, fags and PPV.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Lol. How did you work that out ?
To save you wading through my initial post, I currently own one. I will end up with one.
I don’t think you’ll find many people who would Volunteer to pay stamp duty If they didn’t have to.
Personally, I’d rather Invest that money in booze, fags and PPV.

[emoji106]

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If you want to keep all of that money, give it to your wife. The IRS allows a one-time-only gift to your spouse for up to $60,000.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
If you want to keep all of that money, give it to your wife. The IRS allows a one-time-only gift to your spouse for up to $60,000.

Never knew anything about that . Will check it out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here