Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spectators allowed into a Premier League ground

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Mings turned his back on the first goal and was just standing around for the second and third. But Southgate loves him.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tyrone Mings and the other Villa defenders tonight.

Boom boom.

Not even the best defender at Villa, but hey, Gareth Southgate's a fanboy, so we're all stuck with him.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Mings, Maguire, Dier .... all suspect when playing for England to say the least. Coady, surprisingly, looks great for club and country.

I was flamed in here when I suggested that I would select him ahead of Dunk.

The others, however, are clearly wanting at present.

My main point is that international football is mostly of no higher standard than the EPL. It's more a question of adaption and blending. If a player performs well in the top flight he should be good enough for England.

I think Southgate goes for those he is familiar with for that reason. I think he gives too much benefit of the doubt though.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was flamed in here when I suggested that I would select him ahead of Dunk.

The others, however, are clearly wanting at present.

My main point is that international football is mostly of no higher standard than the EPL. It's more a question of adaption and blending. If a player performs well in the top flight he should be good enough for England.

I think Southgate goes for those he is familiar with for that reason. I think he gives too much benefit of the doubt though.

I knew Coady was good, but I thought of him in the same marginal bracket as Dunk and Tarkowski. Watching him for Wolves and England of late, he seems to have it all including pace when needed.

For England, against better countries, defensive mistakes or doppiness seem to be mercilessly punished, often costing a match.

GS’s obsession seems to be that Maguire is perfect and will win 100 caps, so he’ll only entertain a complimentary CB who eg might have a bit of pace. Leaving Dunk way down the pecking order. I think he’ll end his career a one cap England player.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I knew Coady was good, but I thought of him in the same marginal bracket as Dunk and Tarkowski. Watching him for Wolves and England of late, he seems to have it all including pace when needed.

For England, against better countries, defensive mistakes or doppiness seem to be mercilessly punished, often costing a match.

GS’s obsession seems to be that Maguire is perfect and will win 100 caps, so he’ll only entertain a complimentary CB who eg might have a bit of pace. Leaving Dunk way down the pecking order. I think he’ll end his career a one cap England player.

It's interesting for me re: Dunk. He's a decent top flight centre back, but ordinarily I would say he is not good enough for England. Having seen the performances of those who have played that role in recent times I think I might be wrong.

I've rated Coady since his Championship days, but the standards don't seem so high across the board now.

The problem is that a lot of major nations seem to have a good collective now and some of those find their way here. I think centre back is the one area that's harder for youngsters to break in to. The result is a weaker national team. (Brighton are perhaps a bit of an exception here). I do believe that, given a couple of years, we may have more than one player in the England team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here