Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Letter to you

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Born in the USA I bought , but much of his stuff I find quite boring and being honest his voice is not very good is it .

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Born in the USA I bought , but much of his stuff I find quite boring and being honest his voice is not very good is it .

If you’re looking for purity of voice Dylan wouldn’t be your thing either I guess. It’s all down to personal taste - he’s one of my two favourites ever and I think Born in the USA is one of his weakest albums so there you go.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Serious question how many people buy cd's or vinyl? I have not bought a cd for many many years, since Spotify started.

Those of us who don’t want to be owned by Spotify/Amazon or Apple music. Stop your subscription, lose your music. As per the other thread for that reason I am OUT :smile:

I enjoyed Western Stars but overall I’m not a massive fan. Overated imo although nearly everyone I know who has seen him says his live concerts are up there with the beat they’ve seen :shrug:

I did have a months free subscription a month or so ago but found I just wasn’t using it as I have plenty of my own music that I tend to listen too. I know that sounds head in the sand but hey ho

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Serious question how many people buy cd's or vinyl? I have not bought a cd for many many years, since Spotify started.
I do, in fact I was up very early this morning to head down to Resident in Kensington Gardens as it was (the third) Record Store Day to pick up five vinyl albums, but I also buy a fair amount of CDs too.

I love music, of all sorts, and use Spotify daily but sometimes as a "try before you buy", and other things are a natural to buy physically. I love having a tangible item, and also figure I won't necessarily always have Spotify or equivalent. For anything special, I'd not want to rely on just having it digitally as a stream or download, unless unavailable in any other way.

But I totally get that some people find all that very odd, preferring to (wherever possible) just have the digital version.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Back to Springsteen, is it just me, or....?

Born to Run is an absolutely epic record. Every track a gem. Then I bought Darkness when it came out, very excited, but was so disappointed. It sounds like a failed attempt to recreate the BTR sound, with much of the album just 'filler'. A few years later FM radio was playing 'Born in the USA', and I thought 'Wow. What a dirge. He's gone all John 'Cougar' Mellenkamp. How very sad'. Then I heard 'The River'. Is there really any need to recreate the work of JD Salinger in musical form? I've avoided him since. Best be honest. I went to see Bryan Adams with a girlfriend many years ago. She was enraptured. I was polite. As I usually kick off when struggling, she thought I'd actually enjoyed it, so she bought us tickets to see him again a few months later. :lolol:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Back to Springsteen, is it just me, or....?

Born to Run is an absolutely epic record. Every track a gem. Then I bought Darkness when it came out, very excited, but was so disappointed. It sounds like a failed attempt to recreate the BTR sound, with much of the album just 'filler'. A few years later FM radio was playing 'Born in the USA', and I thought 'Wow. What a dirge. He's gone all John 'Cougar' Mellenkamp. How very sad'. Then I heard 'The River'. Is there really any need to recreate the work of JD Salinger in musical form? I've avoided him since. Best be honest. I went to see Bryan Adams with a girlfriend many years ago. She was enraptured. I was polite. As I usually kick off when struggling, she thought I'd actually enjoyed it, so she bought us tickets to see him again a few months later. :lolol:

Should have said good bye to her after that first Adams concert ..the writing was on the wall.

Born To Run is the only Springsteen I’ve got on vinyl....classic

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Yes for me too Born To Run is THE classic stand-out Springsteen album and as a previous poster acknowledged his concerts are legendary and always worth the money. It’s all personal taste though and thank goodness it is. One of the beauties of NSC is the wide-ranging and eclectic choices. I guess part of my love of his music is that much of it is pure escapism. I want to imagine I’m chasing the factory girls underneath the boardwalk where they all promise to unsnap their jeans(4th July, Asbury Park) - then I recall it’s the Palace Pier and it’s freezing but memories eh?

Pembury Seagull

Mar 4, 2017
On The Edge of Town
Agree with previous posters that ‘Born To Run’ will be difficult to beat. Jungleland and Thunder Road are timeless.

But - the new album is the real deal. Just hope that we get the chance to hear it live (any spare dates in 2022 at The Amex?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here