Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Angela Rayner

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Can't help thinking if a Tory MP had called a Labour MP scum in the House of Commons, there would have been a thread much sooner on NSC.

Dons helmet and runs for cover.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not sure how else to describe people arguing against feeding starving kids at Christmas TBH

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In 1948 Aneurin Bevan, architect of the NHS, described the Tory Party as being lower than vermin.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I suppose the acceptability of an insult depends almost entirely on what its recipient has done.

So if Angela Raynor had (to clutch an example out of the air) lobbied in favour of allowing the import of more meat from abused animals and a Tory MP called her scum then I would be full of understanding.

Would you?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
My daughter, who has rarely discussed politics lost her shit over this children's food issue, citing MPs meals, expenses, 2nd homes etc etc. Normal people are appalled. Not seen much condemnation from our, let's say, right of centre brethren here who voted for the 'scum' . They rant about grooming gangs, and vulnerable young girls, but not about the Tories voting themselves pay rises but not helping vulnerable children who will go hungry. Guilt I guess.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I put it down more to the fact that nobody is surprised, or even gives a toss, over what any of our MPs say anymore

Respect, civil discussion and debate are sadly a thing of the past.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I suppose the acceptability of an insult depends almost entirely on what its recipient has done.

So if Angela Raynor had (to clutch an example out of the air) lobbied in favour of allowing the import of more meat from abused animals and a Tory MP called her scum then I would be full of understanding.

Would you?

You are entitled to be understanding, it is a free country after all, but personally i wouldnt be.
I can think of no excuse for an MP to use the word scum in the House.
Angela Raynor has let herself down a bit here, which is a shame because she is quite a good MP, even if idont agree with her politics.
I am quite surprised you are defending her saying it in the Commons.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Accusations today in a leading newspaper that Rayner had been doing a Michelle Pfeiffer in Basic Instinct over the despatch box in Parliament.

:ohmy:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Non-dom media at it again

We're coming for you....

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I absolutely agree that Angela Rayner's 'scum' comment was unacceptable.... and actually unhelpful as well.

On the other hand, they/we are often provoked to respond emotionally rather than sensibly by entitled tory 'personalities'.... e.g. from https://www.dazeddigital.com/politi...ories-have-ever-said-jacob-rees-mogg-grenfell

'Last week, Jacob Rees-Mogg went on the radio and said he was too clever to die in a fire. Too clever… to die in a fire. Discussing the recent Grenfell Tower fire inquiry, Rees-Mogg claimed the victims lacked “common sense” because they didn’t flee the burning building. He said to the presenter: “I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building. It just seems the common sense thing to do and it’s such a tragedy that didn’t happen.” He concluded: “I don’t think it’s anything to do with race or class.”

To summarise: Rees-Mogg believes it is entirely your fault if you die in a fire. It is not the fault of the cost-saving cladding that failed fire safety tests. It is not the fault of the council who ignored complaints by concerned residents about the cheap refurbishment of the building. It is not the fault of the people in power, including the prime minister who – as Mayor of London – was in charge of the London Fire Brigade for years. It is because you lack “common sense”. OK.'

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Perhaps Jacob Rees-Mogg should be asked to go to the top floor of a single staircase building after which the staircase should be filled with toxic smoke so he can demonstrate how easy it to get to safety.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Perhaps Jacob Rees-Mogg should be asked to go to the top floor of a single staircase building after which the staircase should be filled with toxic smoke so he can demonstrate how easy it to get to safety.

That is a more considered response, but I have some sympathy for people in the front line of politics who respond with expletives to behaviour like J R-Ms......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here