Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Athletic - Brighton content

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
My subscription is due to end in the next couple of days, after I subscribed for a year due to a discount offer the Athletic was running at the time. Whilst there is lots of sports content, I only really read some, not all of the Brighton content. Hence I do not feel that it is worth the renewal fee of £59.99, has anybody else cancelled? did The Athletic offer and incentives to renew following cancellation?
I let mine lapse recently. I have a 70% off resubscribe offer, and an offer of a free trial on my account. I'm not sure how long the offer is for, and I haven't taken it up as I appear to still be able to read all the content anyway.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
This. I’m a massive fan of The Athletic these days after being sceptical when it first launched as they have captured the needs of the younger/modern football fan.

But the best Brighton content on there is written by others including the excellent (Albion fan and stats/tactics man) Liam Tharme. Naylor is out of date and out of his depth.
I think he’s found that he’s quite a good transfer writer, and has reached the majority of his clicks/KPIs through our outgoing transfer news (if that is how they measure success at The Athletic). He’s centred himself, outside of the Albion fanbase, as the go to name for reliable information.

It also means the in-season stuff is meh.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I can't be dealing with any outlet that allows so many unattributed quotes. Every scout, coach, player on there seems to be 'speaking on condition of anonymity'. Get people on the record or it could be a Sunday League coach.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
And right on queue, in the last hour an excellent piece by Ahmed Walid, not Naylor, has appeared on The Athletic on the tactical tweaks RDZ made in game yesterday.
Really worth reading. Explaing the minor tweaks Dunk and JPvH made to change the angles to break the press after the first 15 minutes.
And I spotted RdZ in deep conversation with Dunk after the first goal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here