Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Athletic - Brighton content

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
What’s the verdict from those on NSC that subscribe to the Athletic?

I’ve had it a year now and I’ll be honest I’ve been incredibly disappointed with the Brighton content.

Nothing personal to the journalist in question but I just find the content lacks substance and the writing style does little to draw you in.

I’ve read some brilliant long reads over the last 12 months which have been original, well researched and wouldn’t be found on any other platform.

The articles I’ve seen on Brighton though have lacked that depth and offer nothing different to what you can find within the Argus.

Shame, as there’s so much scope for creative license which isn’t being exploited at the moment.

What’s the verdict from other NSC’ers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Took up the £1 a month offer and it wasn't worth that.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What’s the verdict from those on NSC that subscribe to the Athletic?

I’ve had it a year now and I’ll be honest I’ve been incredibly disappointed with the Brighton content.

Nothing personal to the journalist in question but I just find the content lacks substance and the writing style does little to draw you in.

I’ve read some brilliant long reads over the last 12 months which have been original, well researched and wouldn’t be found on any other platform.

The articles I’ve seen on Brighton though have lacked that depth and offer nothing different to what you can find within the Argus.

Shame, as there’s so much scope for creative license which isn’t being exploited at the moment.

What’s the verdict from other NSC’ers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, crap. Won’t be renewing

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I can't disagree with the OP. But then - I've heard Andy Naylor featured on a few podcasts over the last 12 months or so, and he comes across as...well, dull. If he doesn't have anything interesting to say in person, it isn't a surprise that he doesn't have much interesting to say on paper. It is unfortunate that our correspondent isn't one of our other Albion-supporting journalists, who have much more personality.

I've renewed my subscription though (at an even cheaper rate than the first time) because some of the other writing has been excellent, and I would struggle to find it elsewhere.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I cancelled my free trial before it was even up. Overall I find most football writing dull to be honest. Michael Atherton on cricket however is worth a Times subscription on his own.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I have read some great articles in the athletic, but sadly none of them have been about the albion

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
To be fair, I should add that at least he has now discovered that we have an U-23 and U-18 squad, with a few articles on the promising youngsters that are coming through the system.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm going against the grain here. I've had my subscription for about 3m now and enjoyed a few recent articles about Brighton, particularly the one about Percy Tau. Naylor isn't a perfect reporter, he thought Calamity Wayne Henderson was better than FDM, but at least he's our reporter. In the last two or three weeks, I reckon he has upped his game.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I find the whole thing a bit disappointing in all honesty. I subscribed three months ago but won’t be extending at the end of my year.

Don’t bother going on it most days. The Brighton content is quite dull and nothing new really. I’ve never been a fan of Naylor’s writing though in all honesty, find it very predictable and basic.

As for wider football, I learn nothing new from what I hear on the various football podcasts I listen to.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
interesting.....i dont subscribe but follow Naylor on twitter and he often posts a teaser link to one of his articles where i think - 'i would quite like to read that and why doesnt Brian have this stuff in the Argus'. I guess thats the point of the 'teaser' - I wont be paying to read the Stoke City fan anytime soon.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think the problem is twofold . Firstly with respect Andy Naylor’s journalist skills are not in the same league as some of the other sports journalists writing in the Athletic. Andy has worked almost all his career at the Argus which is not exactly stretching as a journalist, most of the articles written in the Argus are very basic .

Secondly Brighton hold their cards very close to their chests and don’t want to give out any info to Andy that they are not happy to put out to the public via their own social media etc so he will find it hard to get anything certainly of substance . Not much is leaked .

Some of the big clubs seem happy to leak info .

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The articles about the Albion are very thin and like many on here I've been quite disappointed. Tried the 3 month £1 offer but haven't renewed. Naylor seems to have regressed in his writing sadly.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
To be fair, I should add that at least he has now discovered that we have an U-23 and U-18 squad, with a few articles on the promising youngsters that are coming through the system.

I haven’t been impressed with much but the piece on Haydon Roberts was excellent.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
To me it has felt like AN is still finding his feet there. Some of his articles have been brilliant whereas others have been a bit run rate. Like others have said, he was at The Argus forever where I doubt he was encouraged to go off on long winded investigations into former players etc.

I signed up when it first went live and did the full year, then got a free month to stop me from cancelling. I cancelled anyway.

I am unsure whether to sign up again, some of the long reads on there are amazing, I spent a great afternoon in the sun reading about baseball, a sport I know very little about. Football, however, is my sport and I am not sure I want to spend much time reading about it, at the moment it appears to be disappearing up its' own arse

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here