Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glasgow Celtic.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The PL is actually really open, and getting more open each passing season. Remember when the top 4 was always the same top 4? Now it's the same 'top 6' but really it isn't because there hasn't been a consistent top 6 since 2012. And good luck predicting a winner this year unlike every other major league in Europe. The PL income sharing model has created the most unpredictable major league in Europe and that's why it's the most popular in the world right now.

Yes, the race for the PL title is just so interesting. “Will it be, er, yep, Lpool are home and dry aren’t they? What you doing for New Years btw...?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The PL is actually really open, and getting more open each passing season. Remember when the top 4 was always the same top 4? Now it's the same 'top 6' but really it isn't because there hasn't been a consistent top 6 since 2012. And good luck predicting a winner this year unlike every other major league in Europe. The PL income sharing model has created the most unpredictable major league in Europe and that's why it's the most popular in the world right now.

Good post.

Bayern, PSG and Juve are the only winners at the end of each season, a vicious circle as they earn the most income. In the pub league Celtic have the most money since the demise of Rangers, but laughingly always crash and burn in the CL qualifying rounds.

The equivalent of LCFC winning the title could not happen these days in Spain, Italy, Germany or France. Seven EPL clubs just now would believe that they have a chance of finishing in the top 2.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The opposite, actually.

Neither club has ever had 'Glasgow' in their name. It's 'The Celtic Football Club' and 'Rangers Football Club'. Always has been.

:)

Just done a bit of digging which suggests Celtic were formed as Glasgow Celtic in 1887, the name by which they were frequently called and known when I was a lad in the sixties. Their first game was in 1888 against Glasgow Rangers.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Tom Hark said:
]I see you and raise you Partick Thistle.[/B]

And will spare the blushes of the big-boned local radio host who, having finally pestered me into submission to appear on his show, innocently inquired as to how far Partick was from Glasgow :wozza:

Raith Rovers

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Classic mate over his head

Surely not....I thought he knew everything.....��

I'll go with what the Celtic club historians told me (I asked them). You go with your own version, if you wish.

Just done a bit of digging which suggests Celtic were formed as Glasgow Celtic in 1887, the name by which they were frequently called and known when I was a lad in the sixties. Their first game was in 1888 against Glasgow Rangers.

I was never talking about how people referred to them. I was talking about their actual name.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I'll go with what the Celtic club historians told me (I asked them). You go with your own version, if you wish.

I was never talking about how people referred to them. I was talking about their actual name.

Bet you’re a bundle of laughs at a party.... club historians told me.. jeez

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No wonder drug abuse is so high. There’s zero point supporting a team in Scotland. Nobody outside of 2 clubs wins. And even then it’s usually Celtic! Boring boring boring. It’s so boring. There is absolutely no point watching such dullsfeast. Boring. Celtic have won it for a record 28th time in a row...how exciting...zzzzzzzzzz. At least in England we pretend there’s a 6 or so clubs in it!! (But yes, it’s getting just as boring really)

Maybe some people support teams for other reasons than possibly winning the league.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Maybe some people support teams for other reasons than possibly winning the league.

You know what I mean. It’s the equivalent of watching an adult arm wrestle a child. But if knowing 49 of of every 50 results before the race begins is your thing then fill your boots.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
No wonder drug abuse is so high. There’s zero point supporting a team in Scotland. Nobody outside of 2 clubs wins. And even then it’s usually Celtic! Boring boring boring. It’s so boring. There is absolutely no point watching such dullsfeast. Boring. Celtic have won it for a record 28th time in a row...how exciting...zzzzzzzzzz. At least in England we pretend there’s a 6 or so clubs in it!! (But yes, it’s getting just as boring really)

For the very same reason that friends of mine who live in Dumfries, prefer to travel over the border to Carlisle United to watch their football every other weekend.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012

When I was a very young teenager (and before I moved to Sussex) I supported Dunfermline Athletic and would go to every home and away game. Watching them beat Stenhousemuir to get promoted from the Scottish 3rd tier was amazing. It wasn’t boring to us then (but I know what you mean).

COME ON THE PARS!!!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You know what I mean. It’s the equivalent of watching an adult arm wrestle a child. But if knowing 49 of of every 50 results before the race begins is your thing then fill your boots.

At least looks like Rangers could take the title this season, because Celtic are shit.

([MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION])

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
When I was a very young teenager (and before I moved to Sussex) I supported Dunfermline Athletic and would go to every home and away game. Watching them beat Stenhousemuir to get promoted from the Scottish 3rd tier was amazing. It wasn’t boring to us then (but I know what you mean).

COME ON THE PARS!!!

Did you like the Skids?

Dunfermline are one of my brothers Scottish teams :thumbsup:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
At least looks like Rangers could take the title this season, because Celtic are shit.

Celtic's squad is far more expensive than Rangers at the moment. If Neil Lennon blows this 10 in a row season, he will be run out of town.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

That doesn’t make it exciting. Let me spell it out because you appear to be struggling along with a few others. It’s a two horse race. Except when only 1 horse is racing. The same race decade in decade out. It’s ****ing tedious and utterly pointless when no other team in the history of the league has ever stood a chance. The cup has been devalued, at least that had some merit, and neither of the Old Firm sides ever stand a chance in the European competitions either, and too often get knocked out by Scandinavian villages. The most excitement Rangers have had lately is when they had to start in the bottom tier again. But even then it wasn’t exciting because it was a given they’d win each league. Because they get 50k at home and played the Scottish equivalents of Ansty each week as they ‘climbed’ the ladder once more.

Nope, Scottish league, like their National side, is utterly pointless.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

COME ON THE PARS!!!

Don’t get me wrong, I get that. I loved following Albion similarly in lower divisions. That why I was absolutely gutted when we threw away the Championship. That was our moment in history, the greatest honour we could ever realistically achieve. Our name was almost engraved but then Stockdale turned into a ghost seconds before the final whistle. I was furious. I went straight to the bar, thank god I was in hospitality that day to drown my sorrows!

But I digress. Nope, was talking about at the pinnacle of Scottish football, I feel for all the other clubs regularly in that league because they are literally there to provide the old firm with a work out each week. Nothing more. If lived in Scotland, I’d follow a 4th, 3rd,2nd tier side like you did. Much more fun.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

That doesn’t make it exciting. Let me spell it out because you appear to be struggling along with a few others. It’s a two horse race. Except when only 1 horse is racing. The same race decade in decade out. It’s ****ing tedious and utterly pointless when no other team in the history of the league has ever stood a chance. The cup has been devalued, at least that had some merit, and neither of the Old Firm sides ever stand a chance in the European competitions either, and too often get knocked out by Scandinavian villages. The most excitement Rangers have had lately is when they had to start in the bottom tier again. But even then it wasn’t exciting because it was a given they’d win each league. Because they get 50k at home and played the Scottish equivalents of Ansty each week as they ‘climbed’ the ladder once more.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013

Just a few points. Other Scottish teams have won the league, but to be fair that is over 30 years ago. Both Celtic in 2003 and Rangers 2008 reached a Europa league final. Rangers after their financial crash had 1 season where they were denied promotion on their way back up.
Celtic were the first British club to be European champions.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

NooBHA treats above comment with the contempt that it deserve.

He also couldn't give a shite who wins that League as he is a Motherwell fan and they won't win it

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just a few points. Other Scottish teams have won the league, but to be fair that is over 30 years ago. Both Celtic in 2003 and Rangers 2008 reached a Europa league final. Rangers after their financial crash had 1 season where they were denied promotion on their way back up.
Celtic were the first British club to be European champions.

I know. I was really referring to time after William Wallace was a local MP, but yes, you’re right other teams won things before pigs bladders went out of fashion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here