Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] What was your first pay to watch football match?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My dad took me to see an England Youth v. France Youth match in Eastbourne (The Saffrons, or was it Devonshire Park?) when my age could be comfortably expressed in single digits. France won 1-0 but somebody called Bobby Moore was an outstanding left half for England. Payment was via a bucket brought round.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Saturday March 20th 1994

Leyton Orient (H)

Adults £6
Concessions £3

Brighton 2-0 Orient

A day that will live in infamy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Wrexham v Chester 1962 , Wrexham won 6-2 , probably still the most violent game of football I can remember, it was like 11 v 11 personal worst enemies see who can kick each other to bits the most in 90 minutes .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My dad took me to see an England Youth v. France Youth match in Eastbourne (The Saffrons, or was it Devonshire Park?) when my age could be comfortably expressed in single digits. France won 1-0 but somebody called Bobby Moore was an outstanding left half for England. Payment was via a bucket brought round.

First class memory!

B21BC0A3-1862-41B8-8A4D-3EF0E9878575.png

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The question was carefully worded to include games where other people, primarily parents, would have paid the entrance fee.

I was going to football (Partick Thistle, thank you for asking) for years as a little kid before I could persuade my dad to stop slipping thruppence or a florin or whatever the *** it was to the turnstile bloke so he could lift me over the turnstile. Think the practice only stopped when I physically wouldn't fit into the space above the turnstile. I was probably about 12 or 13 by that time. So he reluctantly paid for me to go in. My wee brother wasn't so lucky and had to endure a further couple of years of turnstile-related shame :blush:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here