Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The "how to cook rice debate"

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
HTML:
This one could get nasty, over to you.

Never really cooked it much prior to owning an instant pot, but rinsing the rice and following the instant pot instructions makes just about the perfect rice every time for our needs. I usually like waiting a day and sauté the rice again for a bit of texture.

I’d love to get a paella pan and learn how to cook a proper paella dish but it intimidates me big time.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Really depends what sort of rice you want.
Basmati: 2 cups rice, 3 cups water, medium heat, no rinsing no stirring no draining just cook until done

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
So much tastier and healthier than normal rice (imho)

548EEC1D-CC4E-4429-BCF6-E5A7141D7D46.jpeg

2 mins in microwave

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Weigh out required amount of basmati or long grain - Tilda my preference. Soak for at least 30 mins in cold water. Whatever the dry quantity of rice, multiply by 1.3 and add that amount of cold water to a pan with a tight fitting lid. Drain the rice and add to pan. Salt. Bring to boil on medium heat then put lid on and turn down heat to lowest possible, as small a ring as you have. Leave alone for 25 mins, do not take lid off. After 25 mins take off heat, stand for another 5 mins with lid on. Then serve, perfectly cooked every time and a pan that is easy to clean. Or buy a rice cooker.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
One generous handful of basmati per person, into saucepan rinse through with three pans full of water discarding the husks/starchy liquid.

Fill saucepan and place on high heat to get to boiling ASAP, reduce heat to medium and cook for 7-10 minutes.

Return to tap and wash a final time leaving only enough water in to cover the rice. Return to low-medium heat, adding a knob of butter or sesame oil etc. No more stirring after this stage as if you do will result in gelatinous rice.

Place lid on and proceed to check water level every 2 mins and when the water has either been boiled away or absorbed turn off the heat and leave with lid on for 10-15 minutes.

Absolutely perfect individual grains every time.

Knew there was a reason I married an Indian...

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
It genuinely baffles me how many people can't cook rice.

Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil, add 1 cup of rice, bring back to a boil, then turn it right down to a simmer and cook covered for 16-18 mins until all the water is gone.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
If you are Mrs Fatsuperman;

1. Put random amount of rice in pan - must bear no relationship to the amount needed
2. Fill with either not enough, or far too much water
3. Place on largest hob, put hob on maximum heat
4. DO NOT PUT A LID ON
5. DO NOT REDUCE THE HEAT
6. Just let it boil to ****
7. Tut at your husband if he suggests a lower heat with a lid would be a good idea
8. Remove from heat after an indeterminate amount of time (you may need to add water, depending on which way you went on point 2)
9. Serve
10. Leave pan with burnt rice on the hot hob.

Extra points:
11. Put pan and all plates into dishwasher - it is VITAL you do not rinse any left over food off them. In fact, the more food the better
12. Complain endlessly that the "dishwasher is shit because it doesn't clean things properly"

Since being married to this maniac, I have had to take apart various dishwashers at least six times to remove rice / lentils / etc from the dishwasher spray arms. I had never done that in decades prior.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
HTML:

Never really cooked it much prior to owning an instant pot, but rinsing the rice and following the instant pot instructions makes just about the perfect rice every time for our needs. I usually like waiting a day and sauté the rice again for a bit of texture.

I’d love to get a paella pan and learn how to cook a proper paella dish but it intimidates me big time.

Blimey me as well with instant pot which is basically an electronic pressure cooker.

Sorry non instant pot owners, I cook a lot of rice and a lot of different kinds of rice. I've owned rice cookers as well, but an instant pot simply blows everything else away.

I always soak the rice for a while.

Fry whatever in the instant pot ( in a small amount of oil ), add the rice and fry that too for a few mins. Then add the same amount of water to rice and set the rice setting to 4 mins.

I'll leave it to depressurise for maybe 10 mins.

Perfect rice everytime. It's basically the perfect rice cooker because it allows you to optinally fry and then "steams" under pressure whilst gradually reducing the pressure.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This one is easy. Courtesy of a friend who owns a highly rated Indian restaurant. I use jasmine or basmati rice normally.

Choose whatever quantity of rice you want (in cups/mugs etc - 1 full mug is normally good for 2 people) then put in double the quantity of cold water. Slightly overdo double water quantity than underdo if not exact.

1 mug rice - 2 mugs cold water (double water to rice)

Bring to boil on high/medium heat. The second water first begins to boil, turn down heat to very low heat (barely nothing) and put lid on pan. Leave it to boil dry.

You can check it, and when it looks done, by putting spoon into it to make sure no water left.

If you slightly overcook no worries, Worse that will happen is you'll get a dried rice layer on bottom of pan.

Once water boiled dry, you will have perfect cooked sticky rice. And you'll never go back!

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
A tip I learned. If you overcook rice (very easy with basmati), just dry it out on a low oven on a flat tray.

Frying basmati in just enough oil whilst cooking also helps.

Or buy an instant pot. I do a lamb curry (restaurant style with the "curry gravy") and the whole thing is done in one of these modern pressure cookers including the rice.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A tip I learned. If you overcook rice (very easy with basmati), just dry it out on a low oven on a flat tray.

Frying basmati in just enough oil whilst cooking also helps.

Or buy an instant pot. I do a lamb curry (restaurant style with the "curry gravy") and the whole thing is done in one of these modern pressure cookers including the rice.

Something I always do with boiling pasta rice or potatoes is put in 1 table spoon of oil into the water. Whilst not essential, it stops it boiling over madly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here