Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What was your first Brighton away game?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
v Newcastle FA Cup 3rd round Jan 1983.

My dear old Grandad took me along to see a "proper team" ,( he was a Geordie), probably hoping to convert me.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
1991 - Liverpool away in the FA Cup. 2-2. Mike Small pen, Byrne diving header and Johnny Crumplin with John Barnes in his pocket.

This! What a day, my non supporting parents drove me all the way from Sussex in a Jaguar XJRS that my Dad had borrowed from his boss... sea of Blue and White flags and scarves flying out of vehicles seemingly the whole way up....

As a 15 year old lad with no ‘guidance’ from parents as to which football team to support, I’d grown up like most kids at my school supporting Liverpool as they were the team that won most things, that was until I became aware of this local team on my doorstep in the late 80’s... so this was my first ever away trip, I was hugely excited to visit Anfield and see my then footballing hero Ian Rush!

I had a seat away from my parents sitting on my Tod in the middle of thousands of Brighton fans and I can honestly say with hand on heart, that this 90 minutes was when my unconditional love for Brighton started. I was awe struck and hooked and came away from Liverpool with a new footballing hero - John Byrne!!

Plus I got to see my old hero Ian Rush score a brace, this remains the only game that my parents ever took me too and to this day it remains one of my best ever memories (not just footballing memories)

Bizarrely they didn’t take me to the replay at the Goldstone and I couldn’t afford a ticket so I had to make do with BBC Sussex and the highlights that evening...

Although my boys weren’t born for another 20+ years, this was also the day that their love for Brighton was formed! They’ve had no bloody choice in the matter!

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
was in the RN at the time, so can't remember whether it was Reading away in a white strip. Alan Duffy played upfront at Elm Park, Bristol Rovers at Eastville , or Swansea at the Vetch,,,,,,,,,,

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Pompey away I think and then not again to Walton and Hersham. Brighton fans were nutty that day. It was great fun when you were 12/13

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
August 66 at Elm Park, Reading. 1-1
Went with my dad’s workmate who had four daughters and liked a drive in his old Ford Consul to get away from all the women at home! Got to see quite a few away games within a 100 or so mile radius for a couple of seasons.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
1991 - Liverpool away in the FA Cup. 2-2. Mike Small pen, Byrne diving header and Johnny Crumplin with John Barnes in his pocket.

Must have been one of my youngest son’s first away games - he was our mascot that day, and what a day it was. Met the legend Billy Liddell in one of the sponsor’s lounges and touched the This is Anfield sign in the tunnel. They let me go on the track to video it and with that stuck to my eye I didn’t see the players come out the tunnel and almost got mown down.

jeremy fisher

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol Rovers in around 1984/1985. We'd moved from Haywards Heath to Bristol in 83 and my Mum took me to see us play, in what I assume was a League Cup game. We were sat with the Rovers fans and I remember jumping up and cheering when we scored before realising that wasn't a good idea!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I THINK it was at Dean Court in our promotion season 71-72. We drew 1-1

Mine too, not that I have done many away games.

To the tune of Jesus Christ, Superstar, the homophobic:
DougallMac, Superqueer,
How many b*m&s have you had this year.

Derbyshire Seagull

Oct 21, 2005
Millwall away in Jan 1978 for me. Didn't know I was going until the morning then on the train to the old Den with my Dad. Won 1-0 Peter Ward and kept quiet coming out of ground!

Went back on 2 Sep and even better trip. Won 4-1 then remember sitting on train listening to Sussex beating Somerset in Gillette Cup final at Lords. What a day! 👍😁

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here