Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What was your first Brighton away game?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Chelsea V Brighton 22/2/1967

Lost 4-0.
Skipped school and caught the Brighton Belle.

Had problems getting in and finished up in the gangway of the shed!
We got moved on and finished up standing on some shed and could only see the pitch between the penalty areas.
Heard the goals but saw none!

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Away to Peterborough FA Cup match in 1984 - it was freezing!

We drew, and beat them at the Goldstone on the replay, only to be beaten by Watford who then made it to the Final (I think).

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Norwich 83, last game in top flight. Got the cup final team to autograph my programme. Ironically it had Gary Bailey on the cover with Remi Moses and Dave Watson I think. Or Maybe Kevin Shreeves, can’t remember. Will have to dig it out.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Wycombe Wanderers away in the league cup in 1993. It was 1-0 after the first leg at the Goldstone and we were superb winning 3-1 I think. Could have been 10 we missed a load of chances.

I also won the quiz on the Costa Express coach home.

Yeah I remember that, we set off literally not really knowing where we were going. “Just head north”

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Kingstonian in the FA Cup in '94, couldn't find the ground so only just got there in time, crap football, angry crowd, its amazing I kept going.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

Oct 1975, Grimsby Town, Lost 1-2! It was pure coincidence that we went to visit my Uncle, living in Immingham for the weekend! Stood in the Grimsby end, couldn't see a thing, sunny day but dark because of how tall everyone was!.. wooden terrace ("shiver"). My memory (I was 6!) was that Brighton scored 1st, I was told about it, and cheered at which point what felt like the whole world turned and stared at me. I think my dad may have been worried, but everyone laughed, and my only other memory from the game was two loud roars as Grimsby hit two.
We travelled from Haywards Heath to Immingham with 6 of us in the car on a Friday afternoon/evening.. must have been a nightmare for my Dad

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
17 April 1976 at Aldershot.

1-1 draw (Wardy scored ours)

The infamous pitch invasion / broken crossbars game.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
First trip away on my own:
Manchester City 2 Brighton and Hove Albion 0
23rd February 1985
15 years old

First trip with my uncle who was visiting us when we lived in Aldershot.
Aldershot 0 Brighton and Hove Albion 1
3rd March 1974
4 years old, don't recall diddle squat about it, other than straw bales of hay around the edge of somewhere, am I wrong ?

E

Away to Peterborough FA Cup match in 1984 - it was freezing!

We drew, and beat them at the Goldstone on the replay, only to be beaten by Watford who then made it to the Final (I think).

Was that the snow-covered pitch game? 5-6000 fans packed in the away end.. red/white scarves etc! Great day, comedy football.. If it was, I think it was a couple of years later than the Watford game.. they got to the final in 1984, but did beat us in an early round. I think the P'Boro game you mention, we possibly got knocked out by Southampton, Shilton in goal, but I am really not sure now...

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Does travelling to Gillingham every other week count as an away game?
Other I believe I was quite late to the away game scene, still not been to many. I think it was Coventry on boxing day, don't remember the year but we lost 2-0.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
First away was the 0-3 defeat at Selhurst (March 75 Peter Taylor the manager) my second visit there was the 0-1 win the following season with on loan striker (Barry Butlin from Luton) scoring the winner very early in the match if I remember correctly.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Was that the snow-covered pitch game? 5-6000 fans packed in the away end.. red/white scarves etc! Great day, comedy football.. If it was, I think it was a couple of years later than the Watford game.. they got to the final in 1984, but did beat us in an early round. I think the P'Boro game you mention, we possibly got knocked out by Southampton, Shilton in goal, but I am really not sure now...

It was 1985, Soton did us in the 6th round at a packed and I mean packed Goldstone. I reckon we had more than 30k there unofficially, you couldn’t breath really never mind move. No room to open flask or anything else and dangerously squashed in, remember people with loudspeakers trying to move people but really no room to go. Also a huge fight between a few hundred behind the south stand pre match. Funny what you remember, along with Dave Armstrong’s bald head. He ran us ragged that day, as we limped out 2-0 I think it was.

Reinelt 62

Jul 5, 2003
Thugwall, Harry Cripps and all, 12 September 1964 at the Old Den, a true baptism of fire.

Despite Bobby Smith being in the side we lost 0-2.

At the time, in the 1960s, Millwall were Albion's great local rivals, none of this Johnny-come-lately Palace nonsense...

E

It was 1985, Soton did us in the 6th round at a packed and I mean packed Goldstone. I reckon we had more than 30k there unofficially, you couldn’t breath really never mind move. No room to open flask or anything else and dangerously squashed in, remember people with loudspeakers trying to move people but really no room to go. Also a huge fight between a few hundred behind the south stand pre match. Funny what you remember, along with Dave Armstrong’s bald head. He ran us ragged that day, as we limped out 2-0 I think it was.

I remember it was a limp exit at the end of a good cup run.. Shilton in the news the week before the game too I think? "Tina, Tina, Tina"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here