Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The Best Sit-Coms

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm in tears of laughter now here !!!! yes, Mrs Veg ok, she found my wine stash .

And when Steve walked in that day and didn’t think your mum was in but that there was a pile of washing on the sofa.....

Maybe you had to be there.

“What ? That was your mum veg “

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Only Fools, Blackadder, Men Behaving Badly, Big Bang. Green Wing, why isnt that repeated?

not a sitcom. the compliation film stands up ok, there were a lot of sketches over 5-6 series.

Goes Forth

Capt Darling searching Blackadder and replying 'I'm just doing my job Blackadder'

Blackadder replies'how fortunate you are that your job is also your hobby

Brilliant series,another that I have on DVD

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
This is like a music thread because others have mentioned ones I didn’t instantly think of - Royal Family and Blackadder being prime examples. Caroline Ahern was a really talented comic writer and actress - very sad loss. Oldies like me would also remember Hancock’s Half Hour

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
A lot already mentioned but i'd recommend

What We Do in the Shadows
Parks and Recreation (but best to skip season one)
The Good Place
Arrested development (but not the revival made by netflix)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Loved the last two. Auf was more than just a comedy to me, a story of its time.

I remember the scene at the supermarket in Germany with Neville trying to divide up the tasks of who should buy what from the shopping list.... " Look, me an' Bomber will get the beer and the bog rolls, you's can fight over the rest " !

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
I loved Frasier, but I think towards the end it just became a bit too clever for itself, sort of like all the gags were in-jokes!

Agreed. It probably went two seasons too long and had a little trouble re-finding itself once Niles and Daphnie got married.

I was listening to a podcast with Miles Jupp talking about why it’s the best sitcom ever made, which gave me an all new appreciation to what I already loved. He mentioned what was so unique about it and allowed the audience to love Frasier and Niles (who they’d probably hate in real life) was that the audience was on the show represented as Martin. Him loving his two sons allowed them to be very unique character’s that an audience usually doesn’t connect with.

I also read they cast Niles to look like a young Frasier, which is kind of eerie when you see Frasier first on Cheers.

7ffc99e5d844b63eab6f94e9e891cd7f.jpg

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South
A lot already mentioned but i'd recommend

What We Do in the Shadows
Parks and Recreation (but best to skip season one)
The Good Place
Arrested development (but not the revival made by netflix)

Great call on Arrested Development. Didn’t know it when it was on network tv but watched it when Netflix gave it an extra season. Unique, excellent show!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would be interested to understand what defines a ‘sitcom’ in this context.......I hadn’t included, for example, Blackadder or Auf Wiedersehn Pet when thinking about it.....both of which were brilliant.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Smart and funny

All the good ones already mentioned, Father, Phoenix et al.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Would be interested to understand what defines a ‘sitcom’ in this context.......I hadn’t included, for example, Blackadder or Auf Wiedersehn Pet when thinking about it.....both of which were brilliant.

Dad's Army and It Ain't Half Hot Mum are accepted as Sit-coms, so surely Blackadder Goes Forth should be too, all set in wartime "situations " after all ? however, Dad's Army and It Ain't half Hot Mum never had the political undertones that Blackadder Goes Forth had. Maybe that's it, a comedy without a socio-political point versus a comedy that is non political without an axe to grind is the difference.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Birds of a Feather
Early Doors
Desmonds
2.4 Children

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Only Fools and Dad’s Army like a lot of people