Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Factory resetting a desktop computer

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Dear gaming techy types

I am trying to factory reset an inherited overclockers uk gaming desktop computer. All went smoothly initially, but I find the computer is stuck on 3% and has been for the last 3 hours. It’s a fairly new computer. Is this normal?

Any wise advice would be gratefully received, thanks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have you turned it off an on again?

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Dear gaming techy types

I am trying to factory reset an inherited overclockers uk gaming desktop computer. All went smoothly initially, but I find the computer is stuck on 3% and has been for the last 3 hours. It’s a fairly new computer. Is this normal?

Any wise advice would be gratefully received, thanks.

Have you tried cash converters?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Is this a Windows reinstall that's stuck? You can just put the windows CD/USB in and try starting the process again.

It does sound like either your installation media or hard drive could be broken.

Was it working fine before you did this?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Is this a Windows reinstall that's stuck? You can just put the windows CD/USB in and try starting the process again.

It does sound like either your installation media or hard drive could be broken.

Was it working fine before you did this?

It was my late brother's computer. I have found amongst all his computer paraphernalia a new, unopened hard drive, which now suggests to me this was an existing problem which I've just discovered after firing it up for the first time today.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
It was my late brother's computer. I have found amongst all his computer paraphernalia a new, unopened hard drive, which now suggests to me this was an existing problem which I've just discovered after firing it up for the first time today.

If your objective is to get photos e.t.c off the PC as was mine when my brother passed, don't fret. It's easy enough to do.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
If your objective is to get photos e.t.c off the PC as was mine when my brother passed, don't fret. It's easy enough to do.

No, I've actually no interest in accessing his private stuff, it's just to reset the machine so my son can inherit it. He's a gamer, and pretty tech savvy, so I'm sure he'll be able to get it sorted out.

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
No, I've actually no interest in accessing his private stuff, it's just to reset the machine so my son can inherit it. He's a gamer, and pretty tech savvy, so I'm sure he'll be able to get it sorted out.

Oh I see, well in that case just put a new drive in there, install Windows on it and you're all set.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here