Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Calling NSC's Electricians

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My son has a couple of sockets in his flat that have 4 screws (2 at the tope, 2 at the bottom) holding it on rather than one screw either side.

Can anyone tell me what these are called and whether I can get replacements rather than changing the back boxes ?

These are the things :

mk_doublesocket_switch_4fix.jpg

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Not a sparky, but they are very old and I doubt you'll be able to find similar new. Change the backbox - it's a literal two minute job.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Not a sparky, but they are very old and I doubt you'll be able to find similar new. Change the backbox - it's a literal two minute job.

2 mins?. Heard that b4. Have you ever had to dig out an old metal back box from a wall without destroying the wall around it to get a new one in? can be a right b*tch.

OP - I have never seen those before. Better to get the back box replaced (2 mins job apparently)

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
My son has a couple of sockets in his flat that have 4 screws (2 at the tope, 2 at the bottom) holding it on rather than one screw either side.

Can anyone tell me what these are called and whether I can get replacements rather than changing the back boxes ?

These are the things :

They do look rather ancient
Can you post a picture of the fuse board ?
It may give an idea of how old the sockets are ?

Unless the wall the sockets are on is plasterboard / dry lining
Changing the back box over will take a bit of work to do

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

These are the things :

I’ve got loads of them in a box! PM and I can send you details. In some cases I have the whole back box too.

D

Deleted member 2719

2 mins?. Heard that b4. Have you ever had to dig out an old metal back box from a wall without destroying the wall around it to get a new one in? can be a right b*tch.

OP - I have never seen those before. Better to get the back box replaced (2 mins job apparently)

I am no sparky either, please quantify destroying??? Do you use a.................

Screenshot 2020-10-22 173626.png

Drilling a small masonry bit around it and it should pop out.

Whack a bit of filler if need be on replacing, job done.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
having done a few refurbs as a sparks assistant, cant say i've seen them before. 60's era, dont think your'll find them outside ebay or antique shops? which is a shame as i rather like the switches

fortuoitously, this ad on ebay for a single gang features a catalogue from the time. may be the seller can give some more info.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

These are the things :

The 60s have just called, they would like their electrical sockets back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here