Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] “The Bumps” Sussex(I think) Road feature

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Wonder if anyone particular those who grew up in the 70s know where this stretch of road might be.

In the day’s before the M25 on medium length days out my dear old dad use to excite me and my bro by taking the route north (I think) over a stretch of road that he called the bumps( basically iirc a straight stretch of single carriage way but very defined quite large humps).

Does anyone else remember their parents taking them this route and indeed did anyone else call it “The Bumps”.

[emoji3][emoji106]

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Wonder if anyone particular those who grew up in the 70s know where this stretch of road might be.

In the day’s before the M25 on medium length days out my dear old dad use to excite me and my bro by taking the route north (I think) over a stretch of road that he called the bumps( basically iirc a straight stretch of single carriage way but very defined quite large humps).

Does anyone else remember their parents taking them this route and indeed did anyone else call it “The Bumps”.

[emoji3][emoji106]

yes I do vaguely remeber my mum saying we are going over the "bumps" could not tell you where they were though.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Interesting, I recall the area being through tree’s, racing by in the back of a Cortina Mk3 with no rear seat belts [emoji23]

There is a stretch of the road to Guildford, that is a long straight, lined by trees which has a series of well defined humps . We used to go that way frequently and my Dad would always speed up as he went over them causing our stomachs to lurch as we went over the brow of each one. We called them the "Tummy Hills"

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My family used to call the Ditchling Beacon hill 'The Bumps'.
In the late sixties my uncle used to take all of us kids down it and back up it at speed :eek:
This was before they smoothed it out a bit.
We took off and hit the inside roof of the car.
Great fun:p

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How are you defining 'humps'?

Reading that I instantly thought of the A272 West of Horsham.
But as that doesn't fit with any other parameter, that seems unlikely!!!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
For the Pevenseagull clan in the 1970s 'The Bumps' was an undulating part of Jevington Road a mile or so before you get to East Dean.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
A bit off topic, perhaps, but if you drive down Offington Avenue in Worthing in a car with knackered shock absorbers, you can build up a series of 'bounces' that progressively get bigger the further you drive. Scary.

Off topic a bit further, if you can hit about 50mph in a Morris Minor at the top of Southwick Tunnel, and then take your foot off the accelerator, you can make a delicious farting noise for a couple of hundred yards through the tunnel. :O

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
In the late sixties my uncle used to take all of us kids down it and back up it at speed :eek:

My mates dad used to do that too, with us in his Renault 5 Turbo. I think I still have the bruises!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Off topic a bit further, if you can hit about 50mph in a Morris Minor at the top of Southwick Tunnel, and then take your foot off the accelerator, you can make a delicious farting noise for a couple of hundred yards through the tunnel. :O

My mate Eddie had a MM van, bear road, or Elm Grove, turn off ignition, leave it in gear, doing 30, roll on a bit, turn it on again, BANG, scare the shit out of people . . . . then us, as once it blew the whole exahust off!

there's some dangerously blind humps on the 281 west of BB heath, and the 272 East of MIdhurst. the old humpback bridge at Kingston was good for air in a MK1/2 Cortina when we were kids. as was the Upper Beeding bridge over the Adur.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
There's a stretch of road just north of East Grinstead as you head towards the turn for Lingfield, on the A22, where the bridge(s) were always fun when we were kids. Definitely created that giggly sensation.

I think it got smoothed out by the political-correctness-gone-mad Highways Agency or some other authority though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It was Pavillion Road in Worthing that used to have this reputation, suspect that has been replaced by the Broadwater section of Poulters Lane now.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There's a stretch of road just north of East Grinstead as you head towards the turn for Lingfield, on the A22, where the bridge(s) were always fun when we were kids. Definitely created that giggly sensation.

I think it got smoothed out by the political-correctness-gone-mad Highways Agency or some other authority though.

a bit like the Mulsanne straight, can't have cars taking off :rolleyes:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
THere's a part of the old Shoreham road on the run down to the Dead Lion/Amsterdam where the roads is badly ridged, it's really bad on 2 wheels at 30mph, a real hang on tight bumpy bit for about 100m

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There is a stretch of the road to Guildford, that is a long straight, lined by trees which has a series of well defined humps . We used to go that way frequently and my Dad would always speed up as he went over them causing our stomachs to lurch as we went over the brow of each one. We called them the "Tummy Hills"

That area sounds about right [emoji106]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

My uncle use to do exactly the same thing on the way back from Hayward’s Heath swimming, would rev up just before the bump.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whenever I think of the Bumps, it recalls the bit of waste ground between Wolsely Road and Crown Road, and again between Abinger Road and Trafalgar Road in Portslade. It was a well known short cut.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here