Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] donation

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
last week i received a message from a member of this board, not sure they are still active, they can out themselves if they want. but almost 15 years ago when our daughter was dying they were here and as such acted on my repeated pleas to sign up as not only a blood donor but also bone marrow, stem cells and organs (though we won the opt in/out war since then) anyway, he messaged me and told me that a few months ago he was matched with a 2 year old child who has cancer and that they have now done the donation. i know i was like a stuck record back then, but i also know that many of you did sign up and this is the third person from this group who was matched with someone. my daughter died because she didn't get a transplant in time, something as simple as a few hours and a needle really can save someone's life. if you are aged between 17-40 please consider signing up. my daughter would be a teenager and maybe at university now, instead we have had 14 birthdays without her. my oldest boy still remembers the words said about anastasia at half time of the brighton/leeds game on that gloomy day in january 2006.

but if you haven't already, please sign up. you might just save someone's life.

https://www.dkms.org.uk/en/register-now

https://www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-stem-cells

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I'm so sorry to hear this story, but I'm glad to know there has been some good news.
I began carrying a doner card back in the eighties. I think donating your body is a wonderful thing to do.
Should any of my bits and pieces be of use to any one after I've left for that Amex in the sky, it would thrill me that I've helped someone else.
I clicked on each link to register for the stem-cell stuff, but unfortunately I am way too old, but I can assure you I would have done!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm on it, Starry. You never know when they might call.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I used to be a blood donor until they didn’t want it any longer, and carried a donor card.
Whilst in my thirties, I caught chicken pox from my children. A colleague told me to contact the blood transfusion service, when I felt better, because the antibodies are extremely useful, up to six months afterwards. They give them to immuno suppressed children.
I went two months later with my letter, being announced as ‘the special one’. Apparently one special donation could be given to up to 10 recipients. Any adult catching a ‘childhood disease’ is a valuable asset.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Glad you are better now, Thunder Bolt. :thumbsup:

I carry a donor card on me at all times although I'm unable to donate blood due to being constantly anaemic. I keep having to go for a blood test every four months and it's controlled by taking THREE tablets (the safe maximum dose) a day. They keep me healthy and my organs safe. There's a lot of people a hell of a lot worse off than me with their health and I donate regularly to kidney research as well after a family health issue.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
My youngest son registered when he was working for the Anthony Nolan Trust and was identified as a suitable donor some time later. He donated his bone marrow to a female adult and we all hope it saved her life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here