Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Marcus Rashford

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Rashford and Lineker are inspirational on the pitch.
Still waiting to see what they do off the pitch apart from trying to undermine a government that is spending money like labour.
They need to make a charity from all their contacts and put there money where the mouths are, they shouldn't have to many issues in covering the holiday gap.

Ps Rishi will not let kids starve, bed wetters need to get their heads around this.

Those poor MPs getting subsidised meals at Westminster. I'm sure Rishi will look after them too.

[tweet]1319206120993546240[/tweet]

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I don't disagree with most of that, but I think many people's reaction to the vote in parliament is informed by the current government's priorities. Most of what is going on in this country at the moment is designed to enrich the already wealthy (be that Brexit, deregulation, huge contracts awarded to "mates", top jobs given to chums, etc, etc). Against this background of general sleaze/corruption/immorality we have someone who is standing up and saying "please make sure the most disadvantaged kids in our society get a square meal". Unfortunately, a whole bunch of privileged MPs have decided they don't want to do that. All the electioneering around "levelling up" was basically a load of cr*p, as we are now discovering.

You have your political views, but they appear to me to be very warped. If you really believe those things then you are bound to take the view that you do. But I think the foundation of your views is flawed.

First of all Brexit has to do with where and how decision making takes place. It's as simple as that, you might not like it, but don't make out it's some kind of money making scheme. I'm not wealthy, and Brexit isn't going to change that, does that mean I support leaving the EU because I'm stupid? Reducing regulation (to the extent that regulation is excessive, which at times and in places it is) increases investment, which increases jobs, which increases the likelyhood the someone will be able to depend on themselves instead of the public purse, which in turn means that are a contributor to that purse rather than an expendature, which in turn means that there is more in the public purse available to be spent on public services and used to support people who are unable to support themselves.

When it comes to the economy it isn't the case that it's rich vs poor. The reality is, as the saying goes, "A rising tide lifts all boats".

I agree that the awarding of public sector contracts is shady, it always has been, under every government of every stripe.

Sure, there are some wealthy people who you could look at and question whether they really earned it. But then who are any of us to decide who deserves what? Nobody deserves anything. We still live in a free society, if you want more for yourself, you can go out, work hard, and get it. It's as simple as that.

People in this country are not the victims of some unfair society which is keeping them down, as much as some would like to argue that. Don't fall for the politics of resentment. The opportunities to make something of yourself, no matter who you are or where you come from, are there for you if you want them. If you do want them, then go out and get them. Nobody else should be expected to do it for you, and nobody else should be judged badly because they did it and you didn't.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Rashford and Lineker are inspirational on the pitch.
Still waiting to see what they do off the pitch apart from trying to undermine a government that is spending money like labour.
They need to make a charity from all their contacts and put there money where the mouths are, they shouldn't have to many issues in covering the holiday gap.

Ps Rishi will not let kids starve, bed wetters need to get their heads around this.

It’s already happening. Find any teacher in a poor area and they’ll have stories to tell

Ps - http://twitter.com/GaryLineker/status/1319246658966880256

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You have your political views, but they appear to me to be very warped. If you really believe those things then you are bound to take the view that you do. But I think the foundation of your views is flawed.

First of all Brexit has to do with where and how decision making takes place. It's as simple as that, you might not like it, but don't make out it's some kind of money making scheme. I'm not wealthy, and Brexit isn't going to change that, does that mean I support leaving the EU because I'm stupid? Reducing regulation (to the extent that regulation is excessive, which at times and in places it is) increases investment, which increases jobs, which increases the likelyhood the someone will be able to depend on themselves instead of the public purse, which in turn means that are a contributor to that purse rather than an expendature, which in turn means that there is more in the public purse available to be spent on public services and used to support people who are unable to support themselves.

When it comes to the economy it isn't the case that it's rich vs poor. The reality is, as the saying goes, "A rising tide lifts all boats".

I agree that the awarding of public sector contracts is shady, it always has been, under every government of every stripe.

Sure, there are some wealthy people who you could look at and question whether they really earned it. But then who are any of us to decide who deserves what? Nobody deserves anything. We still live in a free society, if you want more for yourself, you can go out, work hard, and get it. It's as simple as that.

People in this country are not the victims of some unfair society which is keeping them down, as much as some would like to argue that. Don't fall for the politics of resentment. The opportunities to make something of yourself, no matter who you are or where you come from, are there for you if you want them. If you do want them, then go out and get them. Nobody else should be expected to do it for you, and nobody else should be judged badly because they did it and you didn't.

Unadulterated tosh.

Nobody is being resentful, but it is the mark of a good society to help those less fortunate than yourselves. I know of two ladies both fit and healthy who were then struck down by MS and had to rely on benefits for their families. Try telling them to go and get the opportunities.
See my signatures, both of them.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Is there an opposition player you've admired more than this guy?

Absolute class, on and off the pitch as demonstrated yesterday. World class finish for Man Utd to win them the game, but his heart is with more important things. I'm just sorry to see his campaign flounder at the hands of this incompetent, corrupt government and I hope he continues the good fight.

In case you're unaware, the fact is that the corrupt, incompetent party running the country voted down an amendment not to make school meals, free. Quite happy to give £12 BILLION to a company run by Tory donors (rather than opening it to tender) to build this shit track and trace app despite having no experience in the field, or £1 BILLION to Northern Irish bigots purely to prop up their majority, but a few million to ensure no school kid starves in this pandemic, and apparently they're not made of money.

This government makes me feel embarrassed and ashamed to be English.

Agree with everything except “embarrassed to be English “

That would imply you would declare your nationality to someone that isn’t English and they deride you for the shit government you’ve got.

I meet loads of overseas people weekly none of who have ever bought up our shit government, weather yes, possibly drunks and inability to handle drink, but certainly no mention of government.

So don’t be ashamed as average Jo’s who are not from this shores don’t give a shit who’s running the country.

[emoji106]

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Isn't he just demanding that some peoples money be given to some other people?

If you want to be a good person then make personal sacrafices, give what belongs to you, don't just demand things from others.

As things stand kids don't generally depend on the state for food, and making that so wouldn't be an improvement. I tend to think that it's a parent's job to feed their kids.

Sorry, I guess I am a bad person.

Isn't he just exercising his right (the same as we all have) to comment on and try to influence what any given government does with the public finances?

As far as I understand, our political system doesn't just allow for us to have our say at the ballot box and then just keep quiet while the elected party gets on with it until the next vote.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is all politics 101.

State handouts vs self sufficiency. It's easy politics for Labour, table a motion for free meals and when the Tories don't vote for it everyone can say they're taking food from staving children. If they do vote for it everyone can say Labour is leading the way now.

Next week the Tories might score their own political open goal.

Everyone backs their own side again, repeat ad infinitum.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Unadulterated tosh.

Nobody is being resentful, but it is the mark of a good society to help those less fortunate than yourselves. I know of two ladies both fit and healthy who were then struck down by MS and had to rely on benefits for their families. Try telling them to go and get the opportunities.
See my signatures, both of them.

I never said that everyone relying on benefits didn't need them. Although I think there are very many people who get sucked into a system which they then find they struggle to get out of. For many, otherwise able people, benefits and the welfare system becomes a trap. But I am well aware that some people recieve support from the state because they genuinely need it and I never said otherwise. Infact I said that they are best helped when you have a prosperous economy, which by the way will also no doubt make some people very wealthy.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Isn't he just exercising his right (the same as we all have) to comment on and try to influence what any given government does with the public finances?

As far as I understand, our political system doesn't just allow for us to have our say at the ballot box and then just keep quiet while the elected party gets on with it until the next vote.

I never said he should keep quiet.

These kinds of debates are important. I am glad we are having them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yet another arrogant poster on NSC who sees fit to put his view of life well ahead of millions of allegedly moronic voters. Perhaps it is the likes of you with your superiority that should make us feel embarrassed, as you seem to want to link the issue with nationality. Cue the usual abuse when he sees a contrary opinion, as he criticises others.
Not really. You've always considered yourself a bastion of morality but here you are descending to personal abuse well before I did. I'll stand by my comments, there are too many morons in this country who saw "get Brexit done" and abandoned other parties despite the clear and obvious signs that Johnson is a work shy fop, an arrogant liar and utterly incompetent.

I get it though, you're a Tory and you don't like it when people conclude that people like you are idiots. It's easier to abuse people like me for daring to point out the obvious than to admit your own failings. i.e. voting in people who are simply not fit to run the country

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I never said that everyone relying on benefits didn't need them. Although I think there are very many people who get sucked into a system which they then find they struggle to get out of. For many, otherwise able people, benefits and the welfare system becomes a trap. But I am well aware that some people recieve support from the state because they genuinely need it and I never said otherwise. Infact I said that they are best helped when you have a prosperous economy, which by the way will also no doubt make some people very wealthy.

Very wealthy people pay more taxes and so help the economy even more. Those that aren't evading or avoiding taxes of course.

The government's responsibility is to manage the economy by helping those unable to help themselves instead of giving money to cronies, building very expensive railways just to save 20 minutes or fake track and trace apps.
I would rather have a government that looked after children.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Not really. You've always considered yourself a bastion of morality but here you are descending to personal abuse well before I did. I'll stand by my comments, there are too many morons in this country who saw "get Brexit done" and abandoned other parties despite the clear and obvious signs that Johnson is a work shy fop, an arrogant liar and utterly incompetent.

I get it though, you're a Tory and you don't like it when people conclude that people like you are idiots. It's easier to abuse people like me for daring to point out the obvious than to admit your own failings. i.e. voting in people who are simply not fit to run the country

I think you need to work on how to talk to people you disagree with.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

No idea where that came from . . . . problem is most boats in the UK aren't seaworthy.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No, no he isn't. Or at the very least, you're rather ignoring the wider picture. When he sees BILLIONS jizzed on Brexit, shite track and trace, and bribes to bigots, he clearly thinks "hold on a minute, what about the most vulnerable who have absolutely no voice?"

This isn't rocket science.

Ahh diddums, don't like that the country at large isnt the NSC pro leftist pro EU echo chamber :hilton:.... maybe a few quid for a violin !

fwiw the government have got it wrong on this issue imho, and Rashford is an exceptional young man, but like many issues, people cant help themselves veering off completely to turn a single issue into a broad based over arching pro liberal, pro EU political rant. :rant:

Where does one start with labours many mistakes and mismanagement? Got a few weeks to spare? (btw, I've voted Labour twice) or the many failings of the EU? (accepting it also has benefits) maybe the Bear pit?

Is this another Brexit thread and/or Labour/green monopoly on political thought versus anything contrary, or is it just about school meal vouchers and/or Marcus Rashford after all?

Whilst every country has issues, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect your personal view, its not everyone's.

Personally, I'm proud to be English, through successive governments, through boom and bust, good times and bad.
We are inventors, creators, leaders in many fields, we are a polite, welcoming, tolerant and compassionate people in the main, and I'm not ashamed of my diverse and unique country regardless of who is its government of the day, their relative successes or their many mistakes.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Very wealthy people pay more taxes and so help the economy even more. Those that aren't evading or avoiding taxes of course.

The government's responsibility is to manage the economy by helping those unable to help themselves instead of giving money to cronies, building very expensive railways just to save 20 minutes or fake track and trace apps.
I would rather have a government that looked after children.

It's not the governments responsibility to manage the economy. The people manage the economy. The governments responsibility is to provide conditions conducive to a healthy economy. Low taxes, minimul neccessary regulation, minimal public debt.

Trust me when I say this, the more the government "looks after children", the more parents will abdicate that responsibility. That wouldn't be a good thing.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
[tweet]1319172209403961346[/tweet]

Ahh diddums, don't like that the country at large isnt the NSC pro leftist pro EU echo chamber :hilton:.... maybe a few quid for a violin !

fwiw the government have got it wrong on this issue imho, and Rashford is an exceptional young man, but like many issues, people cant help themselves veering off completely to turn a single issue into a broad based over arching pro liberal, pro EU political rant. :rant:

Where does one start with labours many mistakes and mismanagement? Got a few weeks to spare? (btw, I've voted Labour twice) or the many failings of the EU? (accepting it also has benefits) maybe the Bear pit?

Is this another Brexit thread and/or Labour/green monopoly on political thought versus anything contrary, or is it just about school meal vouchers and/or Marcus Rashford after all?

Whilst every country has issues, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect your personal view, its not everyone's.

Personally, I'm proud to be English, through successive governments, through boom and bust, good times and bad.
We are inventors, creators, leaders in many fields, we are a polite, welcoming, tolerant and compassionate people in the main, and I'm not ashamed of my diverse and unique country regardless of who is its government of the day, their relative successes or their many mistakes.

Those very nasty pro EU lefties.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
]B]It's not the governments responsibility to manage the economy[/B] The people manage the economy. The governments responsibility is to provide conditions conducive to a healthy economy. Low taxes, minimul neccessary regulation, minimal public debt.

Trust me when I say this, the more the government "looks after children", the more parents will abdicate that responsibility. That wouldn't be a good thing.

Definition of the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
a member of the British cabinet in charge of the public income and expenditure

You have a very low opinion of parents. Most parents would go without to make sure their children don't

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here