Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone decided to have their first flu vaccine this year? (Slightly off topic)

I had it for the first time last year - just felt the sensible thing to do - didn't want to add to any burden on hospitals if I did catch flu.

My invite came through really early this year, at the beginning of September, so I had it 6-7 weeks ago.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Having mine Monday. Would have had it already but got cancelled.

I had them most years pre-Covid so not a new thing,

Ah now something we can chat about…..I’m mulling mine over…not had one before …I read somewhere today that a recent vaccine was only 15% successful (could have used the wrong word)…and there are concerns this year over its efficacy….it’s the first time I’ve considered it

Ps …lowest I can see recently is 29% 2018/19…..still a good enough percentage to make it worthwhile

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I had it for the first time last year - just felt the sensible thing to do - didn't want to add to any burden on hospitals if I did catch flu.

My invite came through really early this year, at the beginning of September, so I had it 6-7 weeks ago.

See my reply to e77…..can I ask what made you decide this year especially considering that there are doubts over its success (from what I’ve read)….I’ve not had one before ..but despite what’s been said I am giving it serious consideration

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
See my reply to e77…..can I ask what made you decide this year especially considering that there are doubts over its success (from what I’ve read)….I’ve not had one before ..but despite what’s been said I am giving it serious consideration

It was last year I had it for the first time and, as I said, because I wanted to try and give myself the best chance of staying out of hospital if I did catch flu and get it badly.

I didn't think twice this year and went as soon as my invitation text came through.

I've not heard or read anything about this year's likely efficacy, although it wouldn't surprise me if this was expected to be a relatively poor year. I believe that each year's jab is concocted based on the strains that are known to be circulating, but as the last year has seen very little flu, I guess it may have been more difficult to get that right this year.

Regardless, I guess I just consider vaccines a good thing and I trust the work that goes into them. Even if one is relatively poor, that's still more protection than not having one at all.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It was last year I had it for the first time and, as I said, because I wanted to try and give myself the best chance of staying out of hospital if I did catch flu and get it badly.

I didn't think twice this year and went as soon as my invitation text came through.

I've not heard or read anything about this year's likely efficacy, although it wouldn't surprise me if this was expected to be a relatively poor year. I believe that each year's jab is concocted based on the strains that are known to be circulating, but as the last year has seen very little flu, I guess it may have been more difficult to get that right this year.

Regardless, I guess I just consider vaccines a good thing and I trust the work that goes into them. Even if one is relatively poor, that's still more protection than not having one at all.

Thanks and agreed …out of last few years one was 29% effective …still good enough odds to me…just one of those things I’ve been delaying, time to give my doctors surgery a call

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They really need to get their shit sorted out with the booster jab stuff. I received my email invitation today...

Dear Mr Bozza

We have sent you this email as our records show you are at increased risk of complications from COVID-19 and are therefore a priority for receiving a COVID-19 booster vaccine. You are now due your booster as it is over six months since your second dose.

We strongly recommend you have the booster to ensure you have maximum protection from the virus ahead of the winter months. This email shows you how you can book your appointment.​

So, as instructed, I toddled off to the NHS national booking site - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...rus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/ it says...

Who can use this service
You can use this service if you are either:

aged 50 and over
aged 16 and over with a health condition that puts you at high risk from COVID-19​

...but if you follow it through you eventually get to this question...

Are you a frontline health or social care worker in England?

Yes, I am a health worker
Yes, I am a social care worker
No, I am not a health or social care worker​

...and when I select the bottom option I am then told...

You are not currently eligible to book through this service​

...with a suggestion to ring 119.

However a search on twitter for "booster 119" reveals a whole load of people in the same boat as me, with some already having rung 119, only to be told that their system works exactly the same as the one we use on t'internets and they can't book people in for a booster either right now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They really need to get their shit sorted out with the booster jab stuff. I received my email invitation today...

Dear Mr Bozza

We have sent you this email as our records show you are at increased risk of complications from COVID-19 and are therefore a priority for receiving a COVID-19 booster vaccine. You are now due your booster as it is over six months since your second dose.

We strongly recommend you have the booster to ensure you have maximum protection from the virus ahead of the winter months. This email shows you how you can book your appointment.​

So, as instructed, I toddled off to the NHS national booking site - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coron...rus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/ it says...

Who can use this service
You can use this service if you are either:

aged 50 and over
aged 16 and over with a health condition that puts you at high risk from COVID-19​

...but if you follow it through you eventually get to this question...

Are you a frontline health or social care worker in England?

Yes, I am a health worker
Yes, I am a social care worker
No, I am not a health or social care worker​

...and when I select the bottom option I am then told...

You are not currently eligible to book through this service​

...with a suggestion to ring 119.

However a search on twitter for "booster 119" reveals a whole load of people in the same boat as me, with some already having rung 119, only to be told that their system works exactly the same as the one we use on t'internets and they can't book people in for a booster either right now.

Agreed….I see Hunt was calling for the general six month rule to be reduced to five

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think the challenge with flu vaccines is the flu has been out in the wild for longer so has more mutations and it can only cover 4 or 5 (from memory, exact figure might be different). I did have it in the winter of 17-18 and went on to get the flu so it certainly isn't foolproof but it's another firebreak.

As an aside, anyone calling Covid bad flu obviously hasn't had normal flu. It put me in bed for a week and I wasn't right for a couple of months afterwards.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As an aside, anyone calling Covid bad flu obviously hasn't had normal flu. It put me in bed for a week and I wasn't right for a couple of months afterwards.

long flu ???

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
All viruses affect different people in different ways. Some people get covid and don't notice it, some people get covid and are in intensive care or worse. Flu is the same. You can get it and feel awful, and you can get it and barely notice,

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So a thought

I personally think that NHS/Care home staff should have mandatory vaccines - no excuses with the exception of Medical reasons.

But - what is the trade off between sacking those people now v the shortfall in staff for the winter?

Has the gov worked out what is worse?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
All viruses affect different people in different ways. Some people get covid and don't notice it, some people get covid and are in intensive care or worse. Flu is the same. You can get it and feel awful, and you can get it and barely notice,

Trying to downplay the effect of a virus is so 2020.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Trying to downplay the effect of a virus is so 2020.

The numbers are increasing. My sister in law, brother in law, their respective spouses, and two adult nephews all have covid. They are all quite unwell with it, despite being fully vaccinated.
The only good news (for us) is that it was three weeks ago when we visited them.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
The numbers are increasing. My sister in law, brother in law, their respective spouses, and two adult nephews all have covid. They are all quite unwell with it, despite being fully vaccinated.
The only good news (for us) is that it was three weeks ago when we visited them.

Yes, this virus does appear to be overcoming the vaccine hurdle, a lady friend of my wife, who is early 70's has totally disregarded most restrictions throughout this pandemic and finally caught the infection last week, she is double jabbed and is fortunate that at this moment does not appear to be badly hit by it ! Early days yet but hope she recovers fully. Her husband has also tested positive too !

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
The Vaccine almost certainly reduces the impact of the virus, although it seems it's strength reduces over time (hence the booster jabs).

Fact remains without the vaccine we would now be in some sort of lockdown.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, this virus does appear to be overcoming the vaccine hurdle, a lady friend of my wife, who is early 70's has totally disregarded most restrictions throughout this pandemic and finally caught the infection last week, she is double jabbed and is fortunate that at this moment does not appear to be badly hit by it ! Early days yet but hope she recovers fully. Her husband has also tested positive too !

Viruses mutate which is why there are already four variants. There seems to be another one albeit a slower one.
Hopefully the booster jabs have this one covered.

[tweet]1452624550441725954[/tweet]

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Managed to finally get my booster booked for November 25th, round trip of 40 miles - so no wonder some of the less keen aren’t bothering!

Mind you, better than the suggested walk-in centre option, which involved a round trip of 92 miles by road, due to the system working by straight line, “as the crow flies”.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
In and out, a small prick then home.

Screenshot_20211109-151442~2.png

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Managed to finally get my booster booked for November 25th, round trip of 40 miles - so no wonder some of the less keen aren’t bothering!

Mind you, better than the suggested walk-in centre option, which involved a round trip of 92 miles by road, due to the system working by straight line, “as the crow flies”.

Wow, where are you?

Just walked back home from my booster and flu jab at a local pharmacy, only booked via the NHS website last week.

Pretty busy there - mostly boosters, but a few 1st/2nd jabs, judging by the ages.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

There's something amiss in the way walk-in centres are being publicised.

Churchill Square is operating as a walk-in centre, but it doesn't come up in the search where, currently, Couldson is stated as the closest: https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/f...13768173837583686&latitude=50.822373164036016

I had my booster at Durrington Health Centre in Worthing, which is the venue used by several GP surgeries in Worthing. They are allowing walk-ins on weekends, which I only discovered when I saw the sign outside their front door. Once again, there's no obvious way of finding this out otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here