Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I will take one of it means the end of this

But I completely understand why people wouldn’t want to take a rushed vaccine.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I don't know the ins & outs of vaccines, I'm no medical expert.
But I have faith in medical technology - I inject a synthetic drug called insulin 4-5 times per day - I know for a fact this keeps me from dying.
There are a couple of minor side-effects but I accept these willingly as the consequences are far outweighed.

Whilst the absence of insulin to any type-1 diabetic, regardless of age, health, gender, race [or religion] are no different, Covid-19 carries a multitude of consequences ranging between asymptomatic [zero effect] and death. So choosing a medical solution is worthy of careful consideration on an individual basis since zero side-effects of any vaccine are very unlikely.

For me, it's a simple decision, take the side effects to avert the predicted Covid-19 consequences. So long as the vaccine side-effect isn't death, I'm quids-in.

My 25 year-old daughter, however, does not see a vaccine [for her] as at all necessary.

Well put.

Re your daughter. I think that when the vaccine is approved a lot of people who have decided not to have to will think long and hard, (because there will be wall to wall coverage, billboards etc. It will be all people talk about and totally inescapable) and will think differently.

I personally believe take up will be excellent. Yes there will be a few hard line, the earth is flat types and there will be a few who can't be talked around for whatever reason. However, when push comes to shove, I believe overwhelming peer pressure as well as a concerted public health education will lead to a very good take up.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Personally I would take the Vaccine

However, I would be reluctant to encourage infants or growing children to take it without more advanced testing due to the risk of it causing deformities in the future. At my age any ''deformity'' could be a blessing as things are only gonna get worse in the future as opposed to getting better. It's unlikely I an gonna start looking like Brad Pitt overnight.

In all seriousness though. I think anyone above say 40 years of age should seriously consider it. The dangers of Covid-19 Outweigh any of the risks I would have thought.

Over 65 yes, over 40 no

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
yep....politicians lead by example for a change and Gates and his family and Fauci and all the CEO'S of all the companies working so tirelessly to develop a safe vaccine , any word from China ....?? All gone very quiet over there.

Brazil just brought a load of the Chinese vaccine

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
if this is being so massively fast tracked as opposed to all other threats to human health, then why? Because this is the greatest threat to human health out there, or if we dont get back to normal society and the global system collapses?

Even the frantic rush for the vaccine implies the paralysis our reaction has caused and the global shutdown, is the biggest threat to humanity.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

However, I would be reluctant to encourage infants or growing children to take it without more advanced testing due to the risk of it causing deformities in the future. At my age any ''deformity'' could be a blessing as things are only gonna get worse in the future as opposed to getting better. It's unlikely I an gonna start looking like Brad Pitt overnight.

In all seriousness though. I think anyone above say 40 years of age should seriously consider it. The dangers of Covid-19 Outweigh any of the risks I would have thought.

Not a scientist mate, but I know enough to say that the risk of deformity is going to be zero. Your good looks are safe. Other things, I don't know, lung damage, may be 1 or 10,000 or something. This vaccine won't be some steaming, brightly coloured, nuclear substance which can make you grow tentacles.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It seems to me it would be a good idea to get a reliable test for past covid19 infection so people who have already had it don't use up a precious vaccine dose.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Was this an unconscious sign?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Hell Yes, in fact I put my name down for the trial. Unfortunately they don't seem to need a 46 year old to see if it interacts with ale at all as yet.

I do understand people having concerns about the short development time but fortunately it won't be available for everyone straight away.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
if this is being so massively fast tracked as opposed to all other threats to human health, then why? Because this is the greatest threat to human health out there, or if we dont get back to normal society and the global system collapses?

Even the frantic rush for the vaccine implies the paralysis our reaction has caused and the global shutdown, is the biggest threat to humanity.

I struggle to think of any event that has caused such widespread death and economic destruction on a global scale since WW2

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009
Hell Yes, in fact I put my name down for the trial. Unfortunately they don't seem to need a 46 year old to see if it interacts with ale at all as yet.

I do understand people having concerns about the short development time but fortunately it won't be available for everyone straight away.

Lucky they're not using Albion fans.

Might have to investigate the words "Solly March" as causing adverse reactions in the study group.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Sort of... but also other reasons, not in a risk group and in the case the vaccine is great and nice etc., others should have it before I do regardless of my stance on vaccines in general.

That (who should get it first) may depend on what any vaccine is shown to do (if and when it arrives). It may be that it stops you getting it. But more likely is that it reduces the severity (in older/vulnerable) and/or reduces likelhood that you transmit it.

I recall back in spring you posted about some worries you were having after going to a party (maybe the one where you 'hoped there would be sex', I don't know) and then spending time with your Mum, before she went off to work as a carer. I may have this all wrong, as my memory is shocking, but anyway, it's not a judgement, just an illustration.

In that scenario, if the vaccine stops you getting it, then it's the people your mum looks after first, then your mum, then you. And you probably don't matter so much in the end. So you are OK, your body can stay pure and Bill Gates will not control your mind

in the case of a vaccine which doesn't stop you getting it, but does reduce the likelihood that you pass it on, and as long as you are determined to carry on partying, then it's your arm on the block first I'm afraid Mr. superspreader.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I voted YES in the full knowledge that it won't exactly led to the outcome that [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] has suggested. A vaccine will not get rid of CV19 once and for all, but it will in all likelihood dampen down its effects, and enable the refinement of that particular vaccine or buy us some time so other, more effective vaccines can be designed, mass produced, deployed, and then tested according to its efficacy.
There's been a lot of talk about (that disturbing phrase) herd immunity. There are two ways to arrive at this. One, let the virus rip through the population, such that c60% have been infected. The other is through a vaccine, or multiple vaccines. Once put like that, it's obvious that the right thing to do is to take the vaccine.
I do find it interesting that those posters that have been advocating a herd immunity strategy are now showing their colours by refusing option two, which leaves either option one or this constant cat-and-mouse lockdown-approach that we've been subjected to over the past seven months.

On what have you based your statement that "A vaccine will not get rid of CV19 once and for all...."

Maybe you are too young to remember smallpox; a deadly disease for many (30% fatality in some groups) that was totally eradicated through vaccination and was declared as such by WHO in 1980.

Let's not start talking down a vaccine before it has even been produced eh? You are just playing into the hands of the flat earth antivax loons.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Haven't read the full thread, will probably do so later, but if there's one thing our leadership needs to get right in this whole pandemic, it's the message around immunisation once we have a viable vaccine at our disposal.

I'm personally of the opinion that I will readily receive the vaccine, once it meets the OP's important criteria and whilst it isn't my decision alone I'd endorse my wife and children doing the same. Does the fast-tracking of a vaccine make me nervous? Ever so slightly, but if you look into the detail the unprecedented pace of vaccine development is due to an unprecedented financial backing, borne out of unprecedented need (at least since the emergence of robust vaccine science). I also take comfort in the notion that whilst the vaccine will be new, the technology and approach in developing it is tried and tested - I believe this to be true of all those currently in phase 3 trials.

However, I completely understand the nervousness and scepticism which may prevail in certain quarters of society. If I'm 21 and healthy, why would I want to take the perceived risk of a new vaccine to protect me from a virus which to all intents and purposes poses me virtually no risk whatsoever?

The answer of course, is that this is not about protecting individuals, it's about protecting society. Young people, old people, healthy people, unhealthy people, slim people, fat people - everyone. It's fundamentally about stopping the virus' ability to spread, infect people and make people ill in large numbers. Then, and only then, can we return to the life we all remember and miss so badly.

The smaller the number of people who receive the vaccine, the longer that will take. And the longer it takes, the bleaker the economic situation gets. And that is something that all of us, but especially young people, are vulnerable to.

It may be considered a societal duty to get yourself vaccinated, but the benefit to you, the individual is real and tangible no matter how impervious you may be to Covid-19.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
On what have you based your statement that "A vaccine will not get rid of CV19 once and for all...."

Maybe you are too young to remember smallpox; a deadly disease for many (30% fatality in some groups) that was totally eradicated through vaccination and was declared as such by WHO in 1980.

Let's not start talking down a vaccine before it has even been produced eh? You are just playing into the hands of the flat earth antivax loons.

This suggests the virus is here to stay.

Coronavirus: COVID-19 will exist 'for evermore' and second wave could kill tens of thousands - SAGE scientist http://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...to-be-eradicated-sage-scientist-says-12110135

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here