Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Last time I looked the country that recently left the EU still has the highest number of cases in Europe and yes it has the benefit of a moat around it.

Great the vaccine rollout of going well, there's a first for everything

It isn't going well. Some surgeries in Sussex haven't even received the vaccine yet or vaccinated a single person so far.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Maybe they need to stop asking vaccination questions of people like Raab, who seems to have caused some confusion yesterday, given that it's not his job to know the full facts and probably has other things to worry about. (Look, I was supportive of the government).

Confused as Nigel.jpg

"It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel" is one of the greatest ad-libbed lines of all time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It isn't going well. Some surgeries in Sussex haven't even received the vaccine yet or vaccinated a single person so far.

That alone doesn't mean it isn't going well overall. I understand the frustration and anxiety relating to personal situation - I have a relative in Priority Groups 1-4 who is still waiting - but compared to practically every country in the world, our vaccination programme is looking very, very good.

I say this as no fan of this Tory government whatsoever.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
That alone doesn't mean it isn't going well overall. I understand the frustration and anxiety relating to personal situation - I too have a relative in Groups 1-4 who is still waiting - but compared to practically every country in the world, our vaccination programme is looking very, very good.

I say this as no fan of this Tory government whatsoever.
Yes but the Government shouldn't be crowing about moving on to over 70s until everywhere has the over 80s vaccinations up and running.

Everyone is prepared to wait, but not while politicians are falsely spinning where we are with the program.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hugo Gye
@HugoGye
Mark Drakeford defends decision to delay deployment of Pfizer vaccine supplies on #r4today: "There would be no point and certainly it would be logistically damaging to use up all our vaccines in the first week and have our vaccinators standing around with nothing to do."

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Hugo Gye
@HugoGye
Mark Drakeford defends decision to delay deployment of Pfizer vaccine supplies on #r4today: "There would be no point and certainly it would be logistically damaging to use up all our vaccines in the first week and have our vaccinators standing around with nothing to do."
Why cure people this year, when it would be cheaper to cure the survivors next year.

Tell the vaccinators with nothing to do, to bring a book or something. Their time will come. I don't think saving money is all that important in the current scheme of things.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Why cure people this year, when it would be cheaper to cure the survivors next year.

Tell the vaccinators with nothing to do, to bring a book or something. Their time will come. I don't think saving money is all that important in the current scheme of things.

He is an idiot, he is by far the worst of the UK leaders in this.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
have the over 80's in the area been vaccinated elsewhere?

According to my neighbour (mid 80's) who whatsapped me yesterday, there are two people in our street of 90 that haven't been contacted yet. Disappointing to say the least, but hopeful they'll balance out the distribution better as they get more experience

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Yep - it appears that no-one in Hailsham has had one. Looking on one of the surgery's website, it says that will start in two weeks. Glad they are starting on over 70s elsewhere when my 80yo MiL with COPD, Angina and Diabetes is still waiting for one. :down: Sadly looks like the GP Fundholder debacle coming home to roost. There is a centre in the Beacon centre in Eastbourne but apparently that is funded by a few practices. This is not a good time for a postcode lottery.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
its a calculated, known short term risk, that media will inflate. do you want to give twice as many people 50% protection, or half as many people 90% protection? remember they get the second shot anyway, just defered.
Surely what the Israeli doctor said was that of the percentage of people being tested positive for coronavirus 14 days after having the vaccine was 33% less than the ones who hadn't had the vaccine. This is not the same as saying the vaccine is only 33% effective. Here's why.

The vaccine, according to Pfizer, has no effect until day 12. Then it kicks in. And (this isn't directly from Pfizer, but it's ture anyway) it doesn't jump from zero efficiency to full efficiency overnight, it builds gradually. Coupled with this is the estimated incubation period of 5 to 7 days average for coronavirus - the suggestion is that anyone infected on days 11,12,13,14 will not test positive on day 14.

That being so, the majority of those who tested positive on day 14 would have become infected before the vaccine took effect.

(I note also the doctor mentioned that cases they were finding were less serious. Sky glossed over that bit.)

(Incidentally, Pfizer's 52% efficiency for a single jab was based on the total number of infections contracted between jabs. Some of those, like the Israeli ones in the video, would have been contracted before the vaccine reached efficiency. That's where the UK government got the 85% efficiency rating for a single jab; by looking only at those cases contracted in the last 10 days or so before jab 2 and the first week or so after jab 2, before jab 2 took full effect.)

See the Pfizer report on their trials. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2034577?query=RP

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just coming into this having seen reports on supply issues of Pfizer and the effect this is having on the rollout.

Does anyone know or has seen what the split is of Moderna, Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines currently being used at the moment ?

Last edited:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Just coming into this having seen reports on supply issues of Pfizer and the effect this is having on the rollout.

Does anyone know or has seen what the split is of Moderna, Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines currently being used at the moment ?

I know the Moderna isnt Actually available as yet

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep - it appears that no-one in Hailsham has had one. Looking on one of the surgery's website, it says that will start in two weeks. Glad they are starting on over 70s elsewhere when my 80yo MiL with COPD, Angina and Diabetes is still waiting for one. :down: Sadly looks like the GP Fundholder debacle coming home to roost. There is a centre in the Beacon centre in Eastbourne but apparently that is funded by a few practices. This is not a good time for a postcode lottery.

My mother’s care home is in Hailsham. She is 91 and still not vaccinated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here