Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Another issue not mentioned in the OP, is what will the legal recourse be should there be a significant and harmful side effect. I seem to recall reading sometime ago that the Drug companies were going to be exempt from the usual compensation requirements.

If that is the case then I think it would be prudent to not take the vaccine for some months after it's release to to see how safe it is.

The WHO have Vaccine Hesitancy as one of their top 10 threats to global health.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
My good friend is the head pharmacist of a large NHS health authority. I asked if he would have a Covid vaccine and what his thoughts were. His reply:

'To be really honest no I wouldn't take the vaccine if I had the choice today. I know all regulatory requirements have been followed, but in the R&D world it normally takes years for full trials to take place. It is these that are being rushed, so we do not yet know the long term affects on people. May affect younger generation in the future. Also consider the financial advantages with the number of companies trying to rush one through if one of the first to deliver At the mo so many variations of the vaccine and all different from storage to dilutions and which are best for different cohorts of patients, from young, old to vulnerable - we just do not know. Even more worrying healthcae workers could be practically forced to have it. Also the virus just needs to mutate slightly and a previous vaccine may not protect you'

Only that person's opinion though. My take is if it makes you feel 'safe' from a virus that, if you're healthy, has over a 99% survival rate then crack on and we can all get back to.living our lives normally again.

Fair enough everyone has a valid point, the Pharamcists I know working here at the hospital tell me to have it. So I will when its available.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another issue not mentioned in the OP, is what will the legal recourse be should there be a significant and harmful side effect. I seem to recall reading sometime ago that the Drug companies were going to be exempt from the usual compensation requirements.

If that is the case then I think it would be prudent to not take the vaccine for some months after it's release to to see how safe it is.

I understand this view, however - how do you decide how many months to wait?

I have also read that the vast, vast majority of side effects/issues are apparent within first 2 months of a vaccine, hence the FDA asking for 2 months’ safety data.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whilst in the Navy, we were asked if we wanted an experimental flu jab, in the 1960s. I did, and I’m here to tell the tale. Nowadays, very few people worry about the flu jab, and willingly have one every Autumn.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The WHO have Vaccine Hesitancy as one of their top 10 threats to global health.

Been caught out before though;
385bj6.jpg

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For those with an interest in vaccine development, tomorrow the FDA are hosting a public meeting of their Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee covering many aspects of Covid-19 vaccine development.

It will include presentations on vaccine confidence, distribution, safety monitoring and more. They are going to stream it live here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XTiL9rUpkg&feature=youtu.be

It kicks off at 10am EDT (3pm BST).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
My auntie is 78, lives alone in a small bungalow and isn't in great health. Covid would probably kill her. She's been a virtual prisoner since March, doesn't have visitors, doesn't go to see people. I asked her if she'd have a vaccine even if there was a risk and she said "In a heartbeat, this is a living death".

I think I would too, no-one lives forever

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Probably this one for me...

[YT]uQKjI6395iU[/YT]

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Wanted to keep this well away from the Good News Thread.

We are now approaching the final straight for potential approval of 4 initial vaccines - Pfizer/BioNTech, AstraZeneca/Oxford, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson. Current noises are that there is a 50/50 chance of some high priority members of the public being vaccinated this side of New Year.

I'm curious as to people's views on what take up will be like, and whether you would take one if;

A> It has been approved by the MHRA, FDA etc and passed all appropriate and relevant safety protocols - side effects likely to be either non-existent or incredibly rare.
B> The Government have been advised that it will be of use re: lowering infection/death rates for someone such as you to be vaccinated.
C> It is free, and easily available - i.e. can book appt at your local surgery and be in and out within 20 minutes.

Can we TRY not to derail the thread with conspiracy theories or politics? Appreciate that's a big ask for NSC.:thumbsup:

Both Mrs PW and I were both on shielding list previously. She has sarcoidosis, I have a different auto immune for which I'm on intravenous immunosuppressants for life.

We'll both be at the front of queue and will take whatever is put forward asap.

For me personally, it has to be something inactivated or not live as I don't have ability to fight any live vaccine and they're a big no no for me.

Looking forward to it, and I'll post here if/when it happens.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Im attending the Novovax trial in Leeds this afternoon - so you can tell my stance on it.

Might be just the pre medical or they may give me the jab today as well - its a 2 hr appointment I'll report back on what happened

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I will probably be on to it as early as able. I guess that the very vulnerable and health workers will be first in the queue, but as an a so called asthmatic I should not be far behind,

Why so keen? I have about 20 years plus (hopefully) of being able to travel to see friends, family and more of the world. I want to get on with it ASAP.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Im attending the Novovax trial in Leeds this afternoon - so you can tell my stance on it.

Might be just the pre medical or they may give me the jab today as well - its a 2 hr appointment I'll report back on what happened

Hopefully singing Marching on Together won't be a severe side effect!

Very best of luck and full kudos to you for being a part of the solution.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally I love sitting inside all day, not being able to see friends and work colleagues, all the time watching my kids prospects diminish, my fathers brain wither away due to lack of contact and stimulation, and seeing the national debt increase prodigiously. No way i'll take a vaccine.

Oh, tell you what. £15 quid to see us play West Brom on TV? F that for a game of soldiers. Go on then i'll have a shot of what you're having.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

On the symptom check list there might be "suddenly developed a baffling sense of superiority" and "become utterly divorced from reality" Best of luck Diffbrook. See you on the other side my friend

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here