Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Airports have been checking paperwork for years. Ever since the rule came in that if they deliver a passenger who doesn't have the correct paperwork, they have to give him a flight back home at the airline's expense and try and get money off him later.

So it is a no - story then?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
So it is a no - story then?
The bit about airlines doing checks is a no-story. The bit about Border Control not doing checks - that's a story. (Especially since with the traffic levels still low, they should have extra time to make the checks anyway.)

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Very disappointed to discover that those deemed clinically extremely vulnerable are expected to have their booster vaccination alongside anyone else over 50 or front line workers that are called forward.

Rather makes a mockery of the fact that many of the 600,000 CEV have continued to shield in some form and many were offered their initial vaccinations at GP surgeries and hospitals.

Seems its a case of get on with it for even the most vulnerable.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Very disappointed to discover that those deemed clinically extremely vulnerable are expected to have their booster vaccination alongside anyone else over 50 or front line workers that are called forward.

Rather makes a mockery of the fact that many of the 600,000 CEV have continued to shield in some form and many were offered their initial vaccinations at GP surgeries and hospitals.

Seems its a case of get on with it for even the most vulnerable.

I had my booster vaccination (plus flu jab) along with many others at my GP's surgery today, a process which is being enacted each weekend at the moment.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I had my booster vaccination (plus flu jab) along with many others at my GP's surgery today, a process which is being enacted each weekend at the moment.

It would seem a bit of a lottery and make it up as you go along.

After initially being told my wife would have to go to a High Street site, like Boots, the nearest being 15 miles away. I contacted the hospital who are treating her. They said they had no plans to offer vaccinations, unlike the first two she had there.

I then rang her GP surgery to see if the local vaccination site was going to be used as previously - “no, no plans”.

At the same time as this the charity website for her condition was saying that hospitals and GPS should be contacting vulnerable people. I left it a few days and rang GP again. Again, no they weren’t doing anything, go online and book a booster that way...

That very same afternoon the GP surgery messaged to say they were now offering vaccinations locally, despite previously telling me there were no plans.

Back to the hospital to see if there was any change of plans. No no change of plans, “just make sure she doesn’t have the Moderna vaccine” - just as well I rang then!

She did finally get her third shot locally yesterday, at the centre my GPS twice told us they wouldn’t be using - oh, and according to the hospital for her it’s not a booster, but a third primary dose, and should be listed as such, so she can be offered ANOTHER dose in 6 months time. I look forward to many more wasted phone calls in 6 months time, when once again I am sure no-one will have a clue what’s going on.

“Hello Mr Right hand, I’m Mr Left hand, how are you doing?”

I am glad your experience was different and your GP has their shit together!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Questioned on breakfast television this morning, the Secretary of State for Business, Kwasi Kwarteng, didn't know the current procedure for people getting the "booster". He wrongly believed anyone over 50 could just "get one" even though it was pointed out to him that you have to wait to be invited for your booster.

Now I know Health isn't his remit, but you would think a senior member of the cabinet would know the facts.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Questioned on breakfast television this morning, the Secretary of State for Business, Kwasi Kwarteng, didn't know the current procedure for people getting the "booster". He wrongly believed anyone over 50 could just "get one" even though it was pointed out to him that you have to wait to be invited for your booster.

Now I know Health isn't his remit, but you would think a senior member of the cabinet would know the facts.
My mother wasn't invited, and still hasn't been, but I logged on to the NHS website and booked one without difficulty.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
My mother wasn't invited, and still hasn't been, but I logged on to the NHS website and booked one without difficulty.

You are being pedantic in as much as your mum may not have received an "invite, but your mother must qualify, by either being classified as being vulnerable or it’s been 6 months since she had her last jab.

I am 60, but CANNOT book a booster. This is the case unless you qualify by those criteria mentioned previously. Try it and see.

The business secretary was WRONG anyone over 50 CANNOT just book a booster.

Screenshot_20211021_061803_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You are being pedantic in as much as your mum may not have received an "invite, but your mother must qualify, by either being classified as being vulnerable or it’s been 6 months since she had her last jab.
Not being pedantic, just a straightforward misunderstanding. I didn't think Kwarteng was saying that everyone over 50 could book a booster regardless of when (or whether!) they had their second jab. I thought he was saying that people who are due to have a booster can have one without waiting for an invite. I suspect that was what he meant, as well, because that would make sense.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Not being pedantic, just a straightforward misunderstanding. I didn't think Kwarteng was saying that everyone over 50 could book a booster regardless of when (or whether!) they had their second jab. I thought he was saying that people who are due to have a booster can have one without waiting for an invite. I suspect that was what he meant, as well, because that would make sense.

You are being very generous, that wasn't what he said and he was pulled up on it, twice, he still said anyone could go and get a booster if they were over 50.

Mixed messaging again!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You are being very generous, that wasn't what he said and he was pulled up on it, twice, he still said anyone could go and get a booster if they were over 50.

Mixed messaging again!
Maybe. I suppose what it boils down to is that anyone who is eligible can get a jab without waiting for an invite, and anyone who is not eligible can't have a jab.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Maybe. I suppose what it boils down to is that anyone who is eligible can get a jab without waiting for an invite, and anyone who is not eligible can't have a jab.

I've already said "invite" was the wrong word. Mr Kwarteng was wrong on his assertion anyone over 50 could get it done NOW...

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I've already said "invite" was the wrong word. Mr Kwarteng was wrong on his assertion anyone over 50 could get it done NOW...
Yes, so you said. But I don't believe he actually meant to say that anyone, even someone who has never been vaccinated at all, can have a booster; I think they were talking at cross-purposes.

It's like if someone was asked "can anyone come to the prostate cancer event for a test" , if the organiser said "yes", he wouldn't be lying or mistaken, he would be assuming that people without prostates weren't included in the question.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Yes, so you said. But I don't believe he actually meant to say that anyone, even someone who has never been vaccinated at all, can have a booster; I think they were talking at cross-purposes.

It's like if someone was asked "can anyone come to the prostate cancer event for a test" , if the organiser said "yes", he wouldn't be lying or mistaken, he would be assuming that people without prostates weren't included in the question.

OK, I give up now. More whataboutery to defend for some reason a government minister spreading misinformation, or not in your belief, as he didn't "mean it" despite being pulled up on it twice!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
My 80 year old Dad, who has got nowhere with trying to book his booster online or any joy from his GP surgery despite being having his 2nd dose over 6 months ago, called 119 this morning and now has booster appointment tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here