Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Vaccine Thread

Would you take a vaccine if offered, as per the post below?

• YES - Let's get this COVID thing done and over with.

Votes: 201 78.5%
  • NO - I still have issues about a rushed vaccine/I don't need to/I'm not happy with being forced to.

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • UNSURE - I still can't tell what I'll do when it comes to it.

Votes: 26 10.2%

• Total voters

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Lol. So you have no comment of your own?

You've likely never been to Asia, let alone China.

You are likely yo be wrong then.

No, but I will take the word of the world renowned human rights organisation if it is all the same.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
As I mentioned yesterday, I volunteered to take part in the Novovax (US) COVID vaccine trial being held in Leeds. UK Govt has guaranteed manufacture (in UK) of this vaccine if it works.

Yesterday I had my appointment at Leeds University. It was a 2hr appointment held in a sports hall. I think at anyone time there are around 50 participants. There are 4 stations that you visit sequentially, the first being a long talk through with a Dr about the vaccine, what it is meant to do, that it is 50/50 whether you will receive the vaccine (not live) or placebo (water and salt). Then there is a talk about medical history, medications, allegies etc and then a light medical (blood pressure, temperature, feeling around neck for lymph glands).

After that, there is a swab taken from back of throat and nose to test COVID (they obvs need to know whether someone has COVID before trial starts), blood taken. Next stop is the vaccine/placebo/jab itself and finanly 30 minutes to make sure that no adverse effects there and then. I have downloaded an app to register my daily symptoms - or most likely none.

I have a further appt in 21 days time for another jab - this looks like a two stage jab and then regular monitoring over a year (I think there are 6 visits in all)

How do I feel today? I must admit to being tired last evening, but I do tend to tense myself up for these things - a greater alertness etc so more likely that. This morning feel fine. My arm feels a bit tender, but it would do after having a needle in it.

Although carried out in a sports hall, it was all done very professionally and at no time did I feel pressurised (they went out of their way to say people can opt out at any time) and I didnt feel exposed to anyone else in the building. All were wearing masks and people sitting spaced apart.

I think people can volunteer for other trials -of course the vaccine isnt going to eradicate the virus - its here and we have to live with it. But, like flu a vaccine it's part of the answer for us getting back to something like we had a year ago .

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As I mentioned yesterday, I volunteered to take part in the Novovax (US) COVID vaccine trial being held in Leeds. UK Govt has guaranteed manufacture (in UK) of this vaccine if it works.

Yesterday I had my appointment at Leeds University. It was a 2hr appointment held in a sports hall. I think at anyone time there are around 50 participants. There are 4 stations that you visit sequentially, the first being a long talk through with a Dr about the vaccine, what it is meant to do, that it is 50/50 whether you will receive the vaccine (not live) or placebo (water and salt). Then there is a talk about medical history, medications, allegies etc and then a light medical (blood pressure, temperature, feeling around neck for lymph glands).

After that, there is a swab taken from back of throat and nose to test COVID (they obvs need to know whether someone has COVID before trial starts), blood taken. Next stop is the vaccine/placebo/jab itself and finanly 30 minutes to make sure that no adverse effects there and then. I have downloaded an app to register my daily symptoms - or most likely none.

I have a further appt in 21 days time for another jab - this looks like a two stage jab and then regular monitoring over a year (I think there are 6 visits in all)

How do I feel today? I must admit to being tired last evening, but I do tend to tense myself up for these things - a greater alertness etc so more likely that. This morning feel fine. My arm feels a bit tender, but it would do after having a needle in it.

Although carried out in a sports hall, it was all done very professionally and at no time did I feel pressurised (they went out of their way to say people can opt out at any time) and I didnt feel exposed to anyone else in the building. All were wearing masks and people sitting spaced apart.

I think people can volunteer for other trials -of course the vaccine isnt going to eradicate the virus - its here and we have to live with it. But, like flu a vaccine it's part of the answer for us getting back to something like we had a year ago .

Thank you for what you are doing and for being part of the solution.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Well, this thread lasted for a couple of pages at least, eh?

I guess at least it shows the value of stripping this out of the Good News thread

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Perhaps the solution is to say that people who don't wish to have the vaccine can refuse it, but they are the ones who are shielded going forward and have to effectively continue lockdown? That way it keeps them safe while also allowing them to not have the vaccine.

It is my body and my health. I’ll decide what risks I am willing to take. Not the government or the NHS.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is my body and my health. I’ll decide what risks I am willing to take. Not the government or the NHS.

No it isn’t. It’s everyone’s health that you affect if you choose not to have it. That’s the whole point.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

And you'd be freely at will to. But you should then be restricted in what you can do for the safety of everyone else.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
If you choose to not receive the vaccine you remain a potential carrier of the disease.

I never said I wasn’t.

What I said was it is my body and my health. I have every right to decline a vacine until such time I am satisfied it is safe to do so.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I never said I wasn’t.

What I said was it is my body and my health. I have every right to decline a vacine until such time I am satisfied it is safe to do so.

Absolutely, although be prepared to struggle to go to public events when private businesses exercise their right not to admit people who refuse a vaccine.

Also if anyone thinks after a certain time they will be getting a visa to go abroad without being vaccinated they are delusional.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Absolutely, although be prepared to struggle to go to public events when private businesses exercise their right not to admit people who refuse a vaccine.

Also if anyone thinks after a certain time they will be getting a visa to go abroad without being vaccinated they are delusional.
Do you think that big events will check for vaccinated people only? Could get a little chaotic, for example at the amex before a game. How would people prove they are vaccinated?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do you think that big events will check for vaccinated people only? Could get a little chaotic, for example at the amex before a game. How would people prove they are vaccinated?

i dont think places like Amex will be open as normal until the virus is under control, until then reduced capacity will be controlled with things like vaccination checked before obtaining tickets.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
i dont think places like Amex will be open as normal until the virus is under control, until then reduced capacity will be controlled with things like vaccination checked before obtaining tickets.

Agreed, I was thinking more of larger capacity events.

At the Chelsea game you had to show photo ID to match the ticket.

Yes, I was there and it was no problem as there were only 2500 of us there. With a much larger crowd there could be problems.

Using your mobile phone with a traffic light system, green you can enter, red you can't. This is what they do in other countries.

Maybe but that is harsh on people who may not carry a phone, especially older people like my dad who does have a mobile but it is non-smart. Also difficult for families with younger children.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I’ve volunteered for this too and have an appointment in Wrexham next Friday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here