Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ozil

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Do you think he’d sign on a pay to play deal, minimum wage then bonus based on playing multiplied by factored by a vote of fans on how much effort he put in. I suppose we’d better offer a win bonus too...

About as likely as a Pay only if we Win deal which would be my preference.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Statement from Ozil seems to allude to his speaking out on China & the treatment on Uighur Muslims might have something to do with it

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Arsenal have made it very clear that his future lies elsewhere. Do you think they are standing in his way of leaving? The reason he hasn't left is that no club wants to pay the money he is after - ergo, he has decided that money is more important than playing. He has chosen to sit tight and get every penny of his contract in the knowledge that he won't play a minute.

It really is that simple.

All of his stuff about potentially feeling like a scapegoat - it's all supposition, but I'd say that would motivate him to leave. He can go and prove them wrong elsewhere - stick two fingers up and them and move his career on. That won't happen unless he foregoes some of the ridiculous wages he is contractually entitled to. As I said, that's his prerogative but confirms to my mind that he prefers the money to actually playing football

Arsenal could offer to pay up his contract ? After all they gave him that deal in 2018, so why not honour it?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Arsenal could offer to pay up his contract ? After all they gave him that deal in 2018, so why not honour it?

In what way are they not currently honouring it?

If they paid the remainder of his contract in full for him to walk away, they pay the same as him staying, so where's the benefit to Arsenal in that? Ozil would trouser all the cash AND get to sign for someone else and earn whatever ridiculous wage he can negotiate there.

Clearly, there should be a middle ground to be found, where he accepts less than the full value of his contract, but gets to leave, earn further wages elsewhere and actually play football.

I suspect that this is the sort of negotiation they are in at the moment - from the outside looking in at least, it appears that Ozil is holding out for all of the contract value (or too much of it for Arsenal's taste) and is fully prepared to waste one of the few remaining years of his career to do so, rather than compromise so he can leave and play. THAT is why I think he loves money more than football, despite having pots of the stuff already.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
In what way are they not currently honouring it?

If they paid the remainder of his contract in full for him to walk away, they pay the same as him staying, so where's the benefit to Arsenal in that? Ozil would trouser all the cash AND get to sign for someone else and earn whatever ridiculous wage he can negotiate there.

Clearly, there should be a middle ground to be found, where he accepts less than the full value of his contract, but gets to leave, earn further wages elsewhere and actually play football.

I suspect that this is the sort of negotiation they are in at the moment - from the outside looking in at least, it appears that Ozil is holding out for all of the contract value (or too much of it for Arsenal's taste) and is fully prepared to waste one of the few remaining years of his career to do so, rather than compromise so he can leave and play. THAT is why I think he loves money more than football, despite having pots of the stuff already.

The athletic indicating that Ozil managed to settle on a fee to pay up the remainder of his contract with arsenal - so surely players are owed whatever is left if they are moved on early ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The athletic indicating that Ozil managed to settle on a fee to pay up the remainder of his contract with arsenal - so surely players are owed whatever is left if they are moved on early ?

If it’s a free transfer and they’re out of contract and go early yes. There are other circumstances I’m sure but it’s normal for that. So he may have had £8mil wages left and agreed to a pay off of £4mil for example - but he’s also earning at new club and it saves sitting around for 6 months.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If it’s a free transfer and they’re out of contract and go early yes. There are other circumstances I’m sure but it’s normal for that. So he may have had £8mil wages left and agreed to a pay off of £4mil for example - but he’s also earning at new club and it saves sitting around for 6 months.

But the thoughts on this thread was that if you sell a player early then the selling club don’t have to pay up the remainder of the contract. So why pay Ozil anything if they’d agree a free transfer

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

‘Settle’ could mean anything from paying up 100% of the wages he would have earned, to getting £5.

Contracts are two way - the club expects to get something in return from the player for the wages over the duration agreed. The club holds the registration and therefore contract law protects the player and they are due the wage over the length of the contract, should that contract be completed (and is the starting point for contract termination without agreement). However, if the contract is terminated with agreement, the negotiation is all about finding a middle ground that suits both parties. If the player is happy not to play and see it out, fair enough (but don’t bleat about it - it’s your choice so don’t kick off about not playing).
If they REALLY want to play, they might accept a smaller (or no) pay-off and go and play & earn money elsewhere.
What I don’t agree with is the idea that players have the RIGHT to be allowed to leave early AND be paid 100% of the remainder of their contract.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Maybe he negotiated a “free” transfer because it allowed Fenerbache to pay him a big signing on fee? We’ll probably never know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here