Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ozil

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
he is valued at Arsenal, to the tune of 350k a week, contract extended only last January. he fell out with Emery which may be fair enough, but there were signs with Wenger and doesnt seem to have worked it out with Arteta. 3 managers have a problem with you, might just be you are the problem.

Actually I'm not sure thats quite right about Wenger. I read an interview with Wenger recently, specifically talking about Ozil and how he rated him as a player and still had a lot to offer.

I think what I was saying in my previous post, is that what started with Germany, that feeling of being made a scapegoat might be a hard thing to shift, and if you feel it creeps in at club level as well, its probably made worse by the experience with the national team. Mentally, its a hard thing to turn around once its got a hold.

People say he's lost interest in football and maybe he has. But I think if I was on a big contract and felt I was being blamed for everything including things out of my control, I'd probably lose interest in it as well. But obviously on that sort of money you'd be a fool to walk away from it. So you sit there and pick up your money even thoughh your heart's not in it.

I don't think he's lost an ability, but probably he's not mentally up for it. A change of scenery, a new start, shedding that scapegoat moniker and replacing it with a feeling of being wanted might just motivate him. Depending on the wages, I think he's be worth a punt for someone.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Christ, imagine paying around £25million just so you don't have to keep employing Gunnersaurus.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Undoubtedly a fine player, bit strikes me as a massive dickhead.

He has tried to play the hero by offering to pay the wages of Gunnersaurus (with his earnings, it's the equivalent of the average person giving £30 to charity), after he refused to take the Covid-related 12.5% pay cut the rest (most?) of the squad agreed to. Of course, losing £44k per week is a significant sum, but I'm sure he would have managed on £306k per week.

This is a guy who prefers to sit on the sidelines picking up £18m a year rather than accept a pay-off, or reduce his weekly wage to attract a club that would want to sign him. He surely already has more money than he will EVER need and would hardly struggle on reduced wages of only £100k which some club would surely pay.

Sitting there picking up his money not to play is his prerogative of course, but it sends a very clear signal that he cares more about money (that he doesn't need) than playing football and for that reason and that reason alone, I am OUT.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Personally I thing he would bring Bassouma and the other young midfielders on in the same way lallana will be vital for the experience he brings

Is this the Northern spelling of Bissouma or a new signing that I'm not aware of?

Anyway back to Ozil - NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and NO

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

He has tried to play the hero by offering to pay the wages of Gunnersaurus (with his earnings, it's the equivalent of the average person giving £30 to charity), after he refused to take the Covid-related 12.5% pay cut the rest (most?) of the squad agreed to. Of course, losing £44k per week is a significant sum, but I'm sure he would have managed on £306k per week.

This is a guy who prefers to sit on the sidelines picking up £18m a year rather than accept a pay-off, or reduce his weekly wage to attract a club that would want to sign him. He surely already has more money than he will EVER need and would hardly struggle on reduced wages of only £100k which some club would surely pay.

Sitting there picking up his money not to play is his prerogative of course, but it sends a very clear signal that he cares more about money (that he doesn't need) than playing football and for that reason and that reason alone, I am OUT.
Actually that’s not quite true he stated he would take the pay cut IF Arsenal staff would all have their jobs guaranteed obviously the club couldn’t guarantee that and many lost their jobs.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Funny how footballers get slated for doing exactly what we would all do in the same situation, Bale gets slated as lazy and disinterested yet his interview painted a different picture desperately wanted to play football and for whatever reason Madrid wouldn’t agree to a move away.

Arsenal might be doing the same for all we know :shrug:

As for not wanting him that’s hysterical would be one of the finest players to pull on an Albion shirt, he has the passing ability to unlock the best of defences...then we would hit the post :)

Braggfan

May 12, 2014

Actually that’s not quite true he stated he would take the pay cut IF Arsenal staff would all have their jobs guaranteed obviously the club couldn’t guarantee that and many lost their jobs.

Also he hasn't said he won't play, so its a bit of an assumption to say he 'prefers' to sit on the bench. Arsenal have decided they don't want to pick him.

Maybe that is because of his attitude or mental state, but like I've said in previous posts I think he's been made a scapegoat for a lot of the things that have gone wrong at Arsenal. That wouldn't motivate me to play and in all honetsy would probably give me a bit of an attitude.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Actually I'm not sure thats quite right about Wenger. I read an interview with Wenger recently, specifically talking about Ozil and how he rated him as a player and still had a lot to offer.

didnt mean Wenger had a problem in that sense, rather there were problems then. Wenger did rate him and the reason he's still there at all. as i recall he'd gone of the boil before the Germany problems, Wenger stuck with him even when wasnt playing well and looked an underperforming luxury player. same with Arteta who seems to have tried to fit him in.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
This may be the most preposterous transfer suggestion so far on NSC.

It's a no from us fans

a no from Potter

a no from Tony

a no from Paul

.... and a no from him (one would assume).

so

erm

no!

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Yeah why not.

:dunce:

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
didnt mean Wenger had a problem in that sense, rather there were problems then. Wenger did rate him and the reason he's still there at all. as i recall he'd gone of the boil before the Germany problems, Wenger stuck with him even when wasnt playing well and looked an underperforming luxury player. same with Arteta who seems to have tried to fit him in.

That makes sense, yeah I think you're right he had gone off the boil.

Its interesting in football how badly as an industry it deals with mental health. A player gets paid a fortune and therefore we demand they must be above certain things. But actually like anything else, they're people and suffer stress and anxiety. They also face a whole range of scenarios that most people never face as well, so it's hard to imagine exactly what they face. Yet when a player goes off the boil, or has issues, the sport is very unforgiving. I wonder with Ozil, if the right club and right environment might bring out his talent again. In my head I think of cricket and Sussex as an example, where a series of broken players have refound themselves by joining an environment that aims to support them rather than making demands.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Do you think he’d sign on a pay to play deal, minimum wage then bonus based on playing multiplied by factored by a vote of fans on how much effort he put in. I suppose we’d better offer a win bonus too...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you think he’d sign on a pay to play deal, minimum wage then bonus based on playing multiplied by factored by a vote of fans on how much effort he put in. I suppose we’d better offer a win bonus too...

If I was his agent I’d advise scrapping the win, and add a possession and shots bonus. He’ll be laughing all the way to the Deutsche Bank and won’t even need a basic salary.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
It’s a no from me Clive

While he is undoubtably a good player, what we have at the moment is a young, vibrant squad full of energy.
Players that will run through a wall for the club. Some may be lacking slightly in ability but give me effort and a good attitude every time.

Last edited:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
An utterly ridiculous and reprehensible suggestion.

We play players in our team who are willing to at least break into a jog

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Paging @Dr No

Also he’ll sod off to spend his fallow years in Turkey. Fenerbahçe were in for him twice but understandably couldn’t make the finances work.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I mean, God no, i wouldn't have him around the place, but at the same time i wouldn't vilify him for taking the wage they promised to give him. He does have a tad of magic in his boots, but it seems that, as well as with the state of mind and history to make that so, the Premier League style has changed since the ludicrous contract was signed and there is little room for a player to float around. He would put in the miles in a game, and have moments that could slice open a defence, but with a high press and space-closing urgency he doesn't necessarily fit in with that technique, or cope with it. I would think it feels a partial insult to lose your place to Xhaka or Ceballos, but i suppose the team feels better with what they are equipped to provide, and the character they tend to bring (in spite of Xhaka's battle with the crowd as captain).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
An utterly ridiculous and reprehensible suggestion.

We play players in our team who are willing to at least break into a jog

We also pay about 1/5 to 1/7 of what he's on or will want.

To even suggest Ozil for Brighton is Barmy.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Also he hasn't said he won't play, so its a bit of an assumption to say he 'prefers' to sit on the bench. Arsenal have decided they don't want to pick him.

Maybe that is because of his attitude or mental state, but like I've said in previous posts I think he's been made a scapegoat for a lot of the things that have gone wrong at Arsenal. That wouldn't motivate me to play and in all honetsy would probably give me a bit of an attitude.

Arsenal have made it very clear that his future lies elsewhere. Do you think they are standing in his way of leaving? The reason he hasn't left is that no club wants to pay the money he is after - ergo, he has decided that money is more important than playing. He has chosen to sit tight and get every penny of his contract in the knowledge that he won't play a minute.

It really is that simple.

All of his stuff about potentially feeling like a scapegoat - it's all supposition, but I'd say that would motivate him to leave. He can go and prove them wrong elsewhere - stick two fingers up and them and move his career on. That won't happen unless he foregoes some of the ridiculous wages he is contractually entitled to. As I said, that's his prerogative but confirms to my mind that he prefers the money to actually playing football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here